SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#50462 - 06/06/02 06:16 AM Re: hey bebop! important
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
...... over the past 6 mos or so I've received at least 2 viruses that were caught by the virus software .... McAfee in the office, Norton at home ..... the apparent purpose of the first was to overload the system with e-mail, as it just sent itself to everyone on the infected computer's address list .... the second was the one BeBop refers to (W32/KEZ....)
In neither case did the sender have any idea the virus was sent by their computer.....
t.

#50463 - 06/06/02 06:41 AM Re: hey bebop! important
technicsplayer Offline

Carol's mail seems to have been sent by a classic worm virus from a machine with Carol, Walt and myself in the address book.

This can self replicate and sends itself out to everyone in the address book, choosing random addresses and servers from the address book to put in the FROM field, so as to make you think it came from somewhere else.

In fact quite a good description of the Klez virus!

It certainly did not come from me.

if you are worried about this and want to disinfect for sure go to the Symantec web site to downloads and virus removal tools and look up Klez and download the free program to get rid of it. You usually have to run these in dos or windows safe mode for best effect depending on instructions.

if dos:
save the file directly to your c:\ drive.
reboot hitting F8 before windows has a chance to start.
select command prompt only.
at the c:\ prompt type the file name and press enter.
wait for completion of scan.
when finished press ctrl+alt+del to restart windows.
Move the file out of the root of your c: drive to an archive where you can find it again if needing it.
Don't mess with any other files in the root of your c:\ drive!

if windows safe mode:
do the same but choose safe mode instead of command prompt.
go to file and double click on it.
wait for completion of scan.
reboot.

[This message has been edited by technicsplayer (edited 06-06-2002).]

#50464 - 06/06/02 06:44 AM Re: hey bebop! important
Sissle Offline

Loc: USA - South Dakota
Hi Walt and Alec,

Didn't mean to imply that it came from either of you two. I apologize if it sounded that way. Just wanted to make sure everyone on the Forum was aware that someone who frequents these pages and has us in their address book is infected so we all need to be careful with the files we open.

Carol

#50465 - 06/06/02 06:58 AM Re: hey bebop! important
technicsplayer Offline

I know you didn't mean it that way Carol just trying to help with as much useful info as possible...

#50466 - 06/06/02 07:47 AM Re: hey bebop! important
Pete Dale Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Hi Guys

I have used Norton for years and have also recieved the viruses mentioned thankfully norton sorts them it is a good program but like Alec states in can take over the PC you just have to be aware when loading new software etc unfortunately lots of people buy new Computers which includes an anti-virus package and think that's it no one probably informs them that they require regular updates or else.
So take care everyone

#50467 - 06/06/02 11:39 AM Re: hey bebop! important
technicsplayer Offline

perhaps I should also add: do not believe mails you recieve warning about the latest terribly destructive virus and urgently advising you to look up and delete something on your computer.

Go straight to a anti virus site and check the information out.

This is a very common hoax tactic, and you will find you have deleted a necessary and important component of windows, thus self-inflicting damage to your computer.

Likewise don't believe everything you read on bulletin boards and forums without checking it out yourself, another great way of spreading hoaxes.

Stay Cool

#50468 - 06/06/02 01:45 PM Re: hey bebop! important
Anonymous
Unregistered

I operate two computers. One on the Internet and the other to take care of protected business and hobbies. (Photo, Music etc)

The Internet computer is Broad Band connected. I ran a firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) and Norton. Zone Alarm defeated the reason for choosing Broad Band..Speed. No matter what setting I used for security it was slow going and finally would not let me into the Net. (Kim Komando NewsLetter had an article about ZA and found it had flaws).
I no longer use a Firewall.

I post and read on only two Forums an belong to an Organ International Club. This is my only contact with the world other than trusted Web sites.

Many of my friends and some of the forum members like to share jokes that they receive. This I believe has caused the two hardrive formats I had in two years because of Virus. One Virus (name unknown) added about 100 namaes to my address book. Most were AOL address's.

I will not open any attachment that is not well known to me.

What a shame we cannot exchange thoughts freely without the fear of a Virus. A sign of the times.

Fran in Florida

#50469 - 06/06/02 03:49 PM Re: hey bebop! important
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
On a much lighter note, please accept this Irish Virus with my compliments.
No Anti Virus Programme has detected it yet!!!
Walter

Dear Receiver,

You have just received an Irish virus.

Since we are not so technologically advanced in Ireland, this is a MANUAL virus

Please delete all the files on your hard disk yourself and send this mail to everyone you know.

That'd be grand, tanx.

Paddy O'Hacker

#50470 - 06/07/02 09:21 AM Re: hey bebop! important
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:

Either from someone else who is infected who has me in their address book, or else someone pretending to be.......

And this is something I can see every day. Probably because of my webpage, there are quite a lot of people around the world who have added my mailadresses in the adressbooks.
Incoming mails containing vorms have been very common the last months, about 2 and 3 every day.
Also that our mailadresses are visible at the forums around is a great danger.
Sadly there are some people who derive satisfaction from spreading this worm and virus stuff, but what is it that make them feel any satisfaction when they make damage for the ordinary webusers around?

I don't bother to send out any warnings anymore, not even look at the properties for the senders mailadresses, because it is so much written and talked about how to protect yourself against this fast spreading "illness".
A look into the incoming mailbox through webmail before it's even downloaded to the PC is also a very good way to avoid those "attacks". Then all mails containing enclosures not expected, included spam, can be deleted from the server before downloading anything, and then this stuff won't reach the PC at all.

Anyway, just because, (as too often), I had to be burned before I learned
Therefore, in addition to use updated virusprotection, I do as Alec describe, take total backup of my HD regulary just in case. Then it's quick and easy to restore if nessesary.......
Kind regards,
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#50471 - 06/07/02 11:15 PM Re: hey bebop! important
rmcouat Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC Canada
For those that do not like Norton AV taking over their computer I have used eTrust EZ Antivirus and the predecessor called InnoculateIT for over 2 years.
http://www.my-etrust.com/

Used to be free for personal use but for ~ 1 year is $20.00 to purchase plus updates for a year and after that $10.00/year to renew. Free 30 day trial to see if you like it. I just use it, not involved with the company.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online