SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46929 - 06/07/02 09:21 PM Recording from the 6500
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Related to the former topic on recording to tape, is there a way to use Easy Record on the 6000/6500 and then save the result NOT to a floppy but to a casette tape? If so, where does one find a suitable casette tape recoder these days--everything seems to be digital or MP3, or small tape recorders that are used to record personal messages or meetings, etc., which do not use casette tapes any more! I do have a casette tape recorder/player on my stereo system so there must be a way to hook up the keyboard to the recorder, perhaps using line in and line out plugs????? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Ted Rose

#46930 - 06/08/02 12:16 AM Re: Recording from the 6500
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Rose:
...... I do have a casette tape recorder/player on my stereo system so there must be a way to hook up the keyboard to the recorder, perhaps using line in and line out plugs????? .....

Yes, you're on the right track as long as your goal is to put what you hear while playing stright to the casettedeck or taperecorder.
On your stereo system you probably also have a "AUX" connection.
If you connect the KN's line out into that connection point, you can record in the same way as you do if you record from another source in your stereo system.
Also you will hear the keyboard plaiyng through the stereo-rack's speakers as well.
Probably you will need a cable or a adapter who'll fit the different connector points, but that is common equipment and should not be hard to find at your radio store.
Hope this is for some help.
Kind regards
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#46931 - 06/08/02 05:02 AM Re: Recording from the 6500
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks, Gunnar! I'm ready to give it a try! I thought I was on the right track but just needed some confirmation. Will let you know how I succeed. Happy playing!

Ted Rose

#46932 - 06/08/02 01:03 PM Re: Recording from the 6500
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Ted, I use an old Technics 631 deck for recording from the keyboard to tape. It's a straight plug-in and has level meters so I can keep an eye on things. The unit is about 10 years old, but I have seen them for sale in resale shops so some are still out there. You also may want to consider saving your song to disk first so you can edit out boinks and doinks.

#46933 - 06/08/02 02:04 PM Re: Recording from the 6500
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
A very good point about the levels, and that goes for both the out-signal from the keyboard as well as the in-signal to the tapedeck.
Be careful with the out volume on the KN, keep it low rather than too high. Adjust and watch the tapedecks peak in a testrun, then record.
If there are a "automatic peak level limiter" on the tape deck, don't use it, rather do it manually, because in my ears it destroy the music.

Why edit out boinks and doinks Bud? I think it is a kind of charming when it's not too "streamlined" as most of the factorymusic that we can hear nowadays seems to be.
But of course, if you're planning to enter the Top Twenty lists ........
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#46934 - 06/08/02 05:25 PM Re: Recording from the 6500
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Gunnar, you may be right about listening to a more "natural or live" sound with boinks and doinks, but if you get a chance to listen to some of my early songs, you'll see what I mean. Makes my neck hairs stand on end! When I listen to the really great players on the 20-4-1 disks as they zip up and down the keyboard, it almost makes me want to run and hide. I don't have enough years left in my lifetime to get that good, so I'll have to be content to edit out the really bad notes and just keep plugging away. Anyway, my Auntie B likes my music, so I won't give up....but I won't ever make the top 10 thousand either.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online