SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#50452 - 06/04/02 07:54 PM Re: hey bebop! important
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I'm using Norton 2002 with 'Live Update' set which keeps it up-to-date. I used to have PC-cillin, but switched to Norton when PC-cillin failed to pick up a particular virus. (This wasn't the latest version of PC-cillin although I was receiving regular pattern updates.)

I also have the free version of ZoneAlarm installed and it is suprising how often it blocks an attempt from someone (or probably some system) trying to get into my PC.

My daughter and her husband were asking me about getting an internet connection for their computer, and I told them they must budget for anti-virus software. It is unfortunately essential, and a firewall like ZoneAlarm is also advisable.

Mike

#50453 - 06/05/02 06:19 AM Re: hey bebop! important
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:

it is quite possible to get infected by reading an email without opening an attachment (see the Bubble Boy virus and successors)

I was told otherwise. Can you direct me to some documentation of this? Everything I've read suggests that simply "reading" emails is always safe. What am I missing?

#50454 - 06/05/02 06:31 AM Re: hey bebop! important
technicsplayer Offline

it is quite possible to get infected by reading an email without opening an attachment (see the Bubble Boy virus and successors), though much more common to get infected by a word or excel document, since macros are easily hidden in these. To prevent this happening open the attachment with a viewer, rather than the microsoft application which will automatically run the macro.

more bad viruses that do real harm are spread by floppy than email in reality, particularly nasty boot sector viruses.

XP is a huge step backwards in security terms, generally speaking, because of their stupid authentication and auto update type features that no one wants or asked for.

I have all the anti virus programs but never use them because they interfere too much with the way I use the pc. I do NOT recommend others do the same.

I just throw away all attachments from people I don't know, and was not expecting. Besides I can boot from a cd and restore the entire system in 5 minutes from a ghost image, the best protection you can have, but in years of computing have not had a single infection get through yet, so do not get paranoid about viruses, there is much exageration and myth put about by newspapers who don't know what they're talking about and vested interests wanting to sell you solutions, plus much hoaxing.

AVG and Sophos probably have the best reputation amongst the professionals. If you can live with Norton taking over your system, (I can't) stick with it. McAfee has not got a good reputation, and PCcillin never had.

The next generation of html email programs will open a new door to java and vbs attack so will need to be intelligently designed to be safe i.e. if done by microsoft will be guaranteed full of huge security holes.

#50455 - 06/05/02 06:40 AM Re: hey bebop! important
technicsplayer Offline

these have all been around a few years now. Any of the good anti virus sites have descriptions of these. Just put bubbleboy in the search engine... that was the first of its kind.

#50456 - 06/05/02 07:00 AM Re: hey bebop! important
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Sparky, I cleaned up your post a tad to keep us all out of trouble. WE understand but please don't get too excited and let your fingers slip
Thank you Alec and others for a lot of good solid info here. We always need sound and accurate info rather then sales hype and conjecture that we get so much exposure to.
I started out with the Version 1 of Norton but replaced it early on with McAfee when they started. I have never had a virus since I replaced Norton, until now and NOW was my own fault. I opened an attachment that I was expecting from a friend and it was the W32/KLEZ.H-- real nasty worm. The first thing it does is defeat everything you have in your puter to defeat it, starting with your virus program, also including the cd drives, Adaptec,the restore cab files, and key OS files. You must have an emergencgy start disc to get the computer running again, then restore macafee to eliminate 89 infected files, then use the restore disc to restore to the last backup, in my case the 25 of May, so I only lost files between may 25 and June 3. I think I got the computer down before it sent out any, or many reproduced virus to names and addys in my computer. I apologize to anyone that might have received this virus due to my stupidity. I had shut Macafee down to do computer maintainece as Macafee keeps accessing the hard drive and slowing down this operation. I opened the attachment from my friend and it was not what I was expecting. It was a copy of the virus that she was asking advice about. LIVE AND LEARN, yes even at my age.
I have had Macafee Online Clinic since it started. Pay for it by the year, it checks the computer everymorning at startup, and downloads new dats automatically when they are released by Mcafee every day or two, or three. It auto checks all incoming and outgoing mail and files. I also do a weekly rescan of over 40,000 files in this small main frame. I am pleased with it and will stay with them. I get maybe 4 virus a day mailed to me and I recognize most of them and delete them but when I miss Macafee never does.
That is my story,
Best to all
Bebop

#50457 - 06/05/02 08:25 AM Re: hey bebop! important
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Hi Bebop,

Sorry to hear of your virus problems. I can understand everyone's comments to you on McAffee. For many years it had a very good reputation, but then the last few years it has really slipped in reputation. If it works for you, then that's great, but many have had problems with virus's slipping through. My husband swears by Norton. I don't use Norton, but do have Zone Alarm Pro on that monitor's email. I use F-Prot for Dos when I want to run a virus catcher. I am like ALec on that, I dont' want a problem running all the time like that. I'm very careful on attachments. I use Eudora for email and never use preview. The old rule was that you couldn't get a virus without opening an attachment, but some now can get you if you have the e-mail program set up to preview e-mail...which many of them default to.

Just my two cents.

Marilyn

#50458 - 06/05/02 09:17 AM Re: hey bebop! important
technicsplayer Offline

You're pretty safe with Eudora - just because it is not widespread, and virus writers concentrate on outlook foibles (of which there are many to choose from) - IF you can succeed in porting across your existing messages and addresses!!

#50459 - 06/05/02 07:01 PM Re: hey bebop! important
Sissle Offline

Loc: USA - South Dakota
Hi Technicsplayer,

Everyone better check their email for unwanted messages. I received an email supposedly from you that was nothing more than an attached file. It was a virus. Have Norton on my computer and that took care of it, so no problem. Just want to make sure that everyone checks theirs. Amazingly the same day I received an email from Keybstud that was an attachment that was infected also. All of us on the Forum must watch what we open up. Make sure the email has a specific personal note within the body that tells you it is legitimate before you make an attempt to open any attachment.

Carol

[This message has been edited by Sissle (edited 06-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Sissle (edited 06-05-2002).]

#50460 - 06/06/02 04:17 AM Re: hey bebop! important
technicsplayer Offline

Not from me Carol, because you are not even in my address book !!!

Either from someone else who is infected who has me in their address book, or else someone pretending to be me.

I usually get a spurt of viruses sent to me after a post such as the above. Those with long memories of the forums will know that there have been people of very questionable honesty and integrity who I have, shall I say, exposed over the years here and elsewhere...

#50461 - 06/06/02 05:23 AM Re: hey bebop! important
Walt Tenay Offline

Loc: Rutherfordton, NC
Hi Carol,

Also not from me keybstud@sccoast.net you are
not in my address book, and I seldom post on
the forum.

Walt

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
Not from me Carol, because you are not even in my address book !!!

Either from someone else who is infected who has me in their address book, or else someone pretending to be me.

I usually get a spurt of viruses sent to me after a post such as the above. Those with long memories of the forums will know that there have been people of very questionable honesty and integrity who I have, shall I say, exposed over the years here and elsewhere...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online