SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504404 - 12/02/21 04:20 PM Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Did anyone get to check this special on CBS. Unfortunately I missed it but I have enjoyed the clips I've seen on YouTube. Definitely some of the best musicians in the business on the band stand. Of course Tony Bennett is not in his prime but at age 95, even with Alzheimers, I'd say he still puts on a great show, which will likely be his last. It's great that Lady Gaga is partnering with Tony Bennett, keeping the Great American Song Book alive.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#504406 - 12/02/21 04:29 PM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Great show all around. Bennett was amazing with how he could still sing. He will be missed. Lady GaGa is a great performer and she showed great respect for Tony. And the band and those arrangements!! ! Wow

#504414 - 12/03/21 10:45 AM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA

gaga danced like a spaz, is an average singer, and a WONDERFUL
human. When Tony called her name from the stage for the first time in several years, she almost lost it.

She didn't need to ride the "Bennett" machine for her career, but she sure made me respect her for being a class act personally.

She gets "much respect" from me.

R.

#504419 - 12/04/21 08:23 AM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Maybe Gaga is an average singer/dancer but I think she is talented, and even has so good jazz piano chops. I think it's great she is keeping the tradition of the Great American Song going. Probably here fan base wouldn't have the exposure to that music if it wasn't for her.

She a pop star (singer,dancer,actor,song writer.....) Not a vocal powerhouse like Whitney Houston, but compared to Madonna or Cheer, I'd say she has some talent.

#504421 - 12/04/21 09:46 AM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If it weren’t for Lady Gaga’s involvement, Tony Bennet’s swan song might go virtually unnoticed by the younger generation, probably a footnote in the media, and his type of music would still be just a relic your grandparents listen to.

However you rate her talents, her contribution to perhaps introducing a younger generation to songs with more than three chords and a looped structure may pay dividends in the future. Modern music has almost hit the wall with regard to harmonic simplicity. Exposing youngsters to more complex chord structure may tempt one or two to play a bit more outside the relentlessly diatonic world pop music has become.

If that happens, she deserves as much respect as we can give her!

#504423 - 12/04/21 12:09 PM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: Diki]

I agree with both Diki and Paul. Gaga gives me reason to believe in people again.

Russ

#504424 - 12/04/21 01:33 PM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

[quote=captain Gaga gives me reason to believe in people again.

Russ [/quote]

Just in time for Christmas smile

#504427 - 12/05/21 07:15 AM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: montunoman]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Before this performance, I watched the 60 minutes segment on Tony Bennett. Tony unfortunately lost almost all his memory of the who, when, and where. It's sad to see. However, when Lady Gaga showed up to rehearse for a final Tony Bennett show, it was almost instant awareness for him. And remarkably when he sings, he remembers all the lyrics, and still sounds great.

Way to go Tony and Lady Gaga.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#504579 - 12/21/21 11:52 AM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

I really enjoyed Lady Gaga’s performance in House of Gucci. Rumor has it she never broke character the whole time filming. I loved her Italian accent!

#504624 - 12/22/21 11:33 AM Re: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Special on CBS [Re: montunoman]

I was not a big fan.....UNTIL I saw how she interacted with Bennett.Other collaborators were pretty transparent about needing the bump in the career (s) they got from duets with Tony.

Gaga didn't need that. What she go was a lot of respect from me for her humanity.

She even let Bennett paint her nude. That was a "class act" thing to do in this case; Bennett being a long-time artist of some repute.

Gaga made my world little brighter this year.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online