SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504569 - 12/21/21 07:17 AM "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Hello folks,

in Russia it's a bit too early to say "Marry Christmas", actually sometimes we don't say it at all and the main celebration is focused entirely on the New Year. But as I learn here, it's safe for me to say to you "Merry Christmas" right now. So Marry Christmas!

Well, the song I'm playing is not about it, it is in fact a song about a song.

You can find an English translation below, although it's not too accurate. Neither is my performance but I wanted to play it anyway. I used "DreamSchlager" style from "Entertainer" category.

And the temperature outside is... -2,2 F! (-19 C)

Words by Lev Oshanin
Music by Arkady Ostrovsky
Translated by Zinovy Korovin

THE SONG REMAINS WITH YOU

Sky stars drift along blue rivers nightly.
Sky stars vanish mornings with no trace.
Only songs remain with people tightly
with a friendship and a lovely grace.

Refrain:

Thru the years, thru the long way distance,
at the dusty desert, by the ocean view –
you will never say “good-bye” to th`e songs;
they will never separate from you!

As the song flies, you are glad and smiling
from the cradle to the final fling…
How many songs you sang for darling,
how many songs more you will sing!

Refrain…

The song keeps you warm at bitter cold,
makes a cooling at the hottest day.
Who’s not able take up songs as gold –
Won’t be glad and happy on the way.

Edited by Kabinopus (12/21/21 09:00 AM)

#504575 - 12/21/21 11:09 AM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: Kabinopus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I’m not seeing the video…

Could you try editing the post?

#504576 - 12/21/21 11:29 AM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: Diki]
Kabinopus Offline

Originally Posted By Diki
I’m not seeing the video…

Could you try editing the post?

In this case I can give the link: https://youtu.be/uevfhrb0tUY

#504581 - 12/21/21 12:09 PM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: Kabinopus]
Diki Offline

Great! Cool tune, very Slavic! 🎹👍🏼

We’re you using the chord sequencer on some of this? Seems like the chord structure was repetitive enough to use it…

#504595 - 12/21/21 10:29 PM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

Thank you, Diki. No, I don't use the chord sequencer. I prefer to be able to improvise with chords and inversions, and wouldn't want it to be prearranged.

#504596 - 12/21/21 11:23 PM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: Kabinopus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
"Thank you, Diki. No, I don't use the chord sequencer. I prefer to be able to improvise with chords and inversions, and wouldn't want it to be prearranged."
Me to, me to. I love the freedom to do whatever to a song.

"Just saying" Iforgot where I learned that.
John C.

#504604 - 12/22/21 02:37 AM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: bruno123]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Thru the years, thru the long way distance,
at the dusty desert, by the ocean view –
you will never say “good-bye” to th`e songs;
they will never separate from you......

Amen to that Sergey.
I do feel strongly connected to most of the songs that I recorded in my life time and there are quite a few....
I like the lyrics but must confess that I am not superbly impressed by the song (melody) itself but that may be a cultural thing. Nor does it do full justice I think to the SX900 which can do better and more impressive stuff....
Just my two cents of course and meant in the most constructive way as you well know....Kudos to the player though !!!!!!

regards
John

#504613 - 12/22/21 06:54 AM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: Kabinopus]
Kabinopus Offline

John Smith Thank you, John. Well, I'm not that excited about this performance myself, it's not too personal for me. But I've been looking for something "something" for a quite a while by now, so I practically forced myself to record this rather usual stuff. Well, we know that "usual" is usual for a reason... usually... Seems it was received better on YouTube than some of my more "innovative" stuff. Anyway, I keep looking :-)

#504622 - 12/22/21 11:01 AM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: Kabinopus]
Diki Offline

Either I missed it, or it wasn’t there, but it sounds to me like the second verse is a repeat, at least in chord structure, of the first. So I don’t see why the CS couldn’t have been used…

Remember, you don’t HAVE to preprogram the chord loop in advance, you can simply record and use it on the fly, and turn it off on the fly, mid verse, whenever. That’s kind of the whole point of a CS, unlike a sequence, you can drop in and out of it at will.

But there’s a level of improvisation that it allows you simply cannot do with normal chord following… if you record your basic head on your first iteration, you can then start up the CS and then play FAR more ‘outside’ even to the point of dissonance without the chord recognition freaking out.

Give that a try sometime. It’s an improviser’s dream!

#504627 - 12/22/21 01:37 PM Re: "Song Stays With You" (1967) - Yamaha PSR-SX900 [Re: Diki]
Kabinopus Offline

Well, I'm not really a type of a guy who buys SX900 and never tries all its features :-) but this song doesn't really have repetitions at least till the end of the first chorus, and that goes for the most of songs I play... I'm sure there are situations when it can be useful; but in my case I get along without it just nicely.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online