SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504317 - 11/17/21 05:06 PM New Roland E-A7 Owner
DannyUK Offline

Hello all,

I've purchased an E-A7 which arrived today and have been playing it for a few hours. I am enjoying the new experience as I have never owned any Roland keyboards before so it's been great to experience something different. The Roland certainly has it's own distinct feel & sound which is exactly what I wanted, something different.

I have been trying to look for some additional styles for the keyboard, mainly styles from past generation keyboards such as the G800, G1000, VA7 & G70 especially. I have them for all my other keyboards so it would be nice to do the same for the Roland. Is there a Roland community similar to Yamaha? I've tried to look but couldn't find one (if one even exists).

I also have a quick question about the keyboard itself, is there a way to have the sound of the style when a style is selected but when it's not playing, similar to the Yamaha and other keyboards? I managed to split the keyboard left/right but the left always has a voice but ideally want the chord sounds of the style parts (apologies if I have explained it badly!).

Other than that I am finding it quite easily to navigate so far but I haven't tried anything complex yet.

Thank you very much,
Danny.

#504322 - 11/18/21 11:29 AM Re: New Roland E-A7 Owner [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You are talking about the ‘free play’ styles that Yamaha do so well. To be honest, that’s not something Roland really went in for.

#504323 - 11/18/21 11:31 AM Re: New Roland E-A7 Owner [Re: DannyUK]
DannyUK Offline

Thanks Diki, that's fine at least I know now rather than keep searching for it.

Thanks again.
Danny

#504324 - 11/18/21 11:35 AM Re: New Roland E-A7 Owner [Re: DannyUK]
DannyUK Offline

I have another very basic question, I have a few styles in STH format that aren't being recognised, do I need to get these converted to be used in the E-A7, and if so how could I do this?

Thanks,
Danny

#504325 - 11/18/21 08:09 PM Re: New Roland E-A7 Owner [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Try putting them in a computer, copy them, and change the suffix of the styles from STH to STL. If I remember right, that often works. I think the STH format was used on floppy disks.

Would you mind starting new topics for each new question from now on so we can help others search for answers more easily (if the topic title mentions the problem). It gets hard to track different things down if they’re buried in the middle of a thread about something else…

Thanks. 🎹😎

#504326 - 11/18/21 10:09 PM Re: New Roland E-A7 Owner [Re: DannyUK]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi.

Here is a old thread about same topic.
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/135236/styles_and_va76

WOW, members / usernames really wake up some great memories from past times....

BTW, here's a link to a software I found some time ago.
Never downloaded and used it, bur did save the link just out of pure curiosity.
http://www.gesini.com/
http://www.gesini.com/gerd-product.htm
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#504334 - 11/19/21 10:22 AM Re: New Roland E-A7 Owner [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

That’s a 20 year old thread! And it doesn’t really apply here, the issue it talks about is managing files on a ZIP disk, which is moot in the days of USB sticks.

If I remember correctly, when you transferred a style from a floppy to the ZIP in your Roland (G1000 had both!) it automatically changed the suffix. The old Roland’s ran a non standard database routine, which made using programs like this thread mentioned was necessary or your keyboard wouldn’t see files you added with your computer.

But modern Roland’s use the same thing that computers do now, so there is no need for database managers.

One of the first things to check when using our forum search to try to get info is the date of the post..! Roland have changed their storage systems several times since this thread, and out of date advice can often just add to your confusion…

#504340 - 11/20/21 08:47 AM Re: New Roland E-A7 Owner [Re: DannyUK]
DannyUK Offline

Thank you both for your replies, I really do appreciate it.

Diki, regarding new threads yes of course I will start new threads for new topics.

#504342 - 11/20/21 12:45 PM Re: New Roland E-A7 Owner [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Thanks Danny. I am as guilty as most allowing threads to meander, and unfortunately, I don’t have the moderator tools to split threads up once they wander off onto other topics..! 🎹😎

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online