SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504366 - 11/24/21 04:11 PM EA7 MIDI Connection
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Hey friends - I am trying to use my EA7 keyboard to play a Yamaha YC Reface organ. After connecting the keyboards the organ plays as expected EXCEPT it plays all the notes pressed on the EA7 including the Lower split half of the board. Is there a way to only send Upper note on info?
Older Roland’s had a MIDI Connection Wizard, but I don’t see one here. I’m really a MIDI novice so any easy explanations are appreciated.

#504370 - 11/25/21 09:39 AM Re: EA7 MIDI Connection [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For starters, you had better make sure that the Yamaha is set to only receive on the one channel. If it is playing both sides even when split, that is somewhat unusual, as Roland definitely tend to set up arrangers so that each part sends on a different channel.

I have a strong feeling that this issue has more to do with the Yamaha than the Roland, but I could be wrong… It DID happen that one time! LOL 😂

Happy Thanksgiving, Cassp… 🦃

#504379 - 11/26/21 08:02 AM Re: EA7 MIDI Connection [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Diki, I only have one midi cable going out from EA7 to in of the Yamaha. So somehow the Roland is sending all the notes being played to the YC.

#504380 - 11/27/21 09:14 AM Re: EA7 MIDI Connection [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You only need one cable, all 16 channels go down the same cable.

The more I hear about the issue, the more I am certain that it is a problem with the Yamaha. It should only be responding to one channel. Maybe three channels if it is set up to do upper, lower and pedals. You need to look at the Yamaha‘s MIDI section in the manual and figure out how to either turn off the lower and pedals parts, or if that can’t be done, You can set up in the EA7 which parts are transmitted.

But if it is literally responding to every single channel the EA7 is sending, is it making noise from the accompaniment parts as well, or just the keyboard parts?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online