SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 14 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14 >
Topic Options
#502922 - 05/23/21 08:02 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Behringer B3031A TRUTH monitors

The first pair of studio monitors I tried was the Behringer B3031A

This is a 2-way 285W bi-amped studio monitor sporting an 8.75” Kevlar woofer and a 2” ribbon tweeter.

I used a Mackie 1604VLZ4 mixer as a preamp.

I connected the Analog Main Out (Left/Right) channels to channels 1 and 2 on the mixer.

Channel 1:

Gain = Unity
Pan = Left
Fader Level = Unity

Channel 2:

Gain = Unity
Pan = Right
Fader Level = Unity

Master Fader: -5dB

I played back the 9 Factory Demo songs through these monitors.

The B3031A monitors sound good. They feature ribbon tweeters which is an improvement over the B2031A model I owned in the past.

Behringer is famous for copying designs and selling them at affordable prices. The Behringer B2031A was a copy of the Genelec 1031A. While visually they looked almost identical, they could not quite approach the performance of the Genelec.

The B3031A model has been discontinued.

The B3031A does an adequate job. It serves well as an entry level studio monitor.

Edited by Tapas (05/26/21 06:57 AM)

#502923 - 05/23/21 08:15 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

JBL LSR4328P Studio Monitors

Next, I hooked up a pair of JBL LSR4328P Studio Monitors featuring 8” bi-amped woofers (150w) and 1” tweeters (70w).

These are networked speakers. You can connect 5 of them and a sub to get a 5.1 surround sound setup.

It comes with a calibration kit including a microphone that helps you compensate for room responses.

Immediately, I noticed the improvement in clarity, tightness of bass and coherence. The calibration software helps in cleaning up the muddiness.

The LSR4328P is a step up from the Behringer B3031A

#502924 - 05/23/21 08:47 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

ADAM A7X powered monitors

Next, I tried a pair of ADAM A7X studio monitors.

They come with a 7” carbon fiber mid-woofer powered by a 100W PWM amp along with an X-ART Tweeter driven by a 50W Class A/B amp.

The moment I made the switch from the JBL LSR4328P, I noticed the drop in bass response on the ADAM A7X. You need a subwoofer to go with the A7X.

The recommended sub is the ADAM Sub10 model.

I connected an M-Audio BX10s powered sub. This features a 10” woofer powered by a 240W amp. It did the job.

The clarity on the ADAM A7X surpasses the JBL LSR4328P. I could hear a lot more details as I played back the 9 demo songs on the GENOS. Everything sounded more 3 dimensional. I could focus on every instrument with pinpoint accuracy.

The BX10s subwoofer extended the bass response by a lot over the LSR4328P.

I can only imagine how much better this system will sound with the recommended sub.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A7XSub10--adam-audio-a7x-sub10-matched-2.1-monitor-system

This matched 2.1 Active Monitor system costs $2500. They will serve as ideal near-field monitors for the Yamaha GENOS.

A sub is an absolute necessity to capture the full spectrum of the GENOS sound.

The ADAM A7X monitors exceled in mid-range smoothness. The treble was clean and grain free.

Once you have experienced the performance of the GENOS on a pair of ADAM A7X monitors with a Sub, it is hard to go back to the other two.

#502925 - 05/23/21 09:01 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Tapas]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Frank is amazing!! Wishing you many happy hours with this incredible keyboard!

#502926 - 05/24/21 12:01 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: TedS]
Tapas Offline

Thanks Ted!

Yes, Frank delivered yet again.

I have taken a 5-day vacation so that I can explore this wonderful instrument.

So far the GENOS has exceeded all my expectations.

#502927 - 05/24/21 12:20 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

Tekton MOAB Floor Standing Speakers with Paradigm Servo15 Sub

Once I realized the full spectrum potential of the GENOS factory demos I decided to play them on a pair of floor standing Tekton MOABs.

Tekton Design MOAB Speakers

Each speaker has two 12” Eminence bass drivers from the Pro Audio Neodymium series along with an array of 15 Wavecor Tweeters. All of these tweeters besides the center one acts like a low mass mid-range driver. This design has been patented by Eric Alexander, President of Tekton Design.

These speakers are tall measuring 69 inches in height. Each one weighs 135 lbs and can handle a maximum power rating of 900W. I have the 4ohm version.

I am using a Parasound A21+ Stereo Power Amp. This is a Class A/AB power amp that delivers 500W/channel into 4 ohms.

Parasound A21+ Power Amp

Stereophile Magazine listed this amp under their Class A Recommended Components. It lives up to its promise.

To smoothen and tighten up the bass response down to 20Hz, I paired the Tekton MOABs with a Paradigm Servo 15 servo controlled seal sub.

To feed the cleanest signal possible to this setup I connected the Coax Digital Output of the GENOS to the Coax Digital Input of an RME ADI-2 DAC.

RME ADI-2 DAC

The RMI ADI-2 DAC is a stellar product. This professional 2-channel digital to analog converter works equally well in mastering studios as well as in high-end audiphile rigs.

I was so impressed with its performance that I was compelled to leave a 5-star review on B&H:

My Review of the RMI ADI-2 DAC

I connected the Analog RCA Output of the RME ADI-2 DAC to the Analog RCA Inputs of the Parasound A21+ Power Amp.

The Mackie 1604VLZ mixer was out of the loop.

All outputs (analog/digital) plus the headphone output is always active on the GENOS. The Master Volume controls the Analog and Headphone outputs. However, it has no effect on the Digital Output. This is something to take into consideration.

When you are connecting the Digital Output of the GENOS to a DAC you must have a way to control the output volume from your DAC before it reaches the power amp. Luckily the RME ADI-2 DAC allows you to control the output volume thus eliminating the need for a preamp.

After double checking all the connections, I started the Orchestral Demo on the GENOS and gradually raised the output volume on the DAC to 0dB.

WOW!!!

The soundstage opened up wide and clear. There are some deep notes on this Orchestral Demo. They energized the Servo-15 sub pressurizing the room. I could hear every nuance of each instrument from the thunderous dynamics to the faintest twinkling of the wind chimes.

THE MUSIC CAME ALIVE.

So, this is how the GENOS was meant to sound.

The presentation was effortless with crystalline clarity with no trace of congestion. It sounded just like a soundtrack from a Hollywood blockbuster movie.

It is hard to believe all these sounds are coming from a single Arranger Keyboard, each instrument enhanced with studio quality effects. The realism of all these synthesized voices in the GENOS is quite startling when you hear how close it sounds to real instruments.

The GENOS benefits from the best quality playback system you can throw at it. You are only limited by the capability of your audiophile setup.

I have replaced the stock Wavecor center tweeters on the MOABs with state of the art Scanspeak Illuminator Beryllium Dome Tweeters.

Scanspeak Illuminator Beryllium Dome Tweeters

These Beryllium Tweeters brings the smoothness and delicacy of the finest Electrostatic Speakers.

I used a miniDSP UMIK-1 mic with the Room EQ Wizard (REW) Software to get the best frequency response in my studio.

You can read about my journey into setting up a far field monitoring system using the Tekton MOABs on this thread on AVS Forum.

AVS Forum - Tekton Owners Thread

While the Digital Output from your GENOS feeding into your Power Amp via a DAC will yield the cleanest signal and arguably the best performance, it is not practical in a studio setting.

The reason being, you would most likely be using a family of sound modules and synthesizers along with your GENOS.

You would need to combine the outputs of each device and sum down to stereo. The smart and economical way is to use an all Analog Mixer like the Mackie 1604VLZ4. This maintains the warmth and clarity of the final mix.

Digital mixers in this price range just do not sound as good. The final mix sounds brittle and flat.
You would have to spend mega bucks to get a digital console to sound as good as an analog Mackie 1604VLZ4 mixer.

I disconnected the RMI ADI-2 DAC and connected the Main Analog Output of the GENOS to the Mackie 1604VLZ4 which fed the Parasound A21+ power amp.

This is how the GENOS will be used alongside other devices. The Mackie 1604VLZ4 offers a ton of controls with 4 Aux busses per channel. I tried twiddling with the EQ knobs. I tried inserting a Sony DPS-R7 Reverb on Aux Busses 1 and 2. I tried inserting a Lexicon PCM92 on Aux Busses 3 and 4.

I was trying to see if I could further enhance the sound of the GENOS factory demos.

The factory demos are perfect. They have been polished with just the right EQ, Compression, and studio effects by Yamaha engineers.

There is absolutely no need to alter them via outboard gear. Just set the Input Gains to Unity, set EQ to flat, push up the Fader Levels to Unity, Pan the Left Channel hard left, Pan the Right Channel hard right and you are good to go.

Yes, the Yamaha GENOS is an expensive device. However, one should compare how much money one would need to spend to create a project that would rival the factory demos on the GENOS.

The GENOS marks an important milestone in Yamaha’s illustrious R&D history.

Edited by Tapas (05/28/21 01:10 AM)

#502935 - 05/24/21 11:41 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

Comparison of external speakers for playing the Yamaha GENOS

Here are my subjective ratings of these speakers:

[1] Behringer B3031A – Rating 5/10

[2] JBL LSR4328P – Rating 6/10

[3] ADAM A7X with MAudio BX10s sub – Rating 7/10

[4] Tekton MOAB with Paradigm Servo 15 sub – Rating 9/10

The Behringer yields acceptable performance. It is the most affordable solution of the lot.

The JBL adds a little more bass extension and brings a little more clarity.

The ADAM A7X paired with a good quality subwoofer beats the above two and brings a whole new level of clarity, mid-range smoothness and high frequency extension. Every instrument in the sound filed can be tracked with razor sharp accuracy. The imaging is stellar.

The ADAM A7X on its own does not quite have the same bass extension as the JBL. You definitely need a sub to experience the full spectrum sound of the GENOS.

The MAudio BX10s sub is a good entry level sub to pair with the A7X. However, I got vastly deeper and tighter bass integration when I switched it out with the Paradigm Servo 15 sub.

If you were planning on using the ADAM A7X as near field monitors with your GENOS, it would be logical to get the Adam Sub10 designed specifically for them.

ADAM A7X with Sub10 matched 2.1 system

This would be an ideal near field monitoring set up for the Yamaha GENOS.

A step up would be to get the ADAM A77X paired with the Sub15 sub.

ADAM A77X wth Sub15 matched 2.1 system

This system can be used both for near field and mid field monitoring.

The Tekton MOABs coupled with the Paradigm Servo 15 sealed subwoofer elevates the GENOS to a whole new level of performance.

The soundstage suddenly expands wide and deep. You get to enjoy thunderous dynamics while still being able to listen to the micro dynamics and nuance of each instrument. Adding the Beryllium tweeters is an essential step to bring out the clarity and realism of the GENOS voices.

This is the system that gives you instant visceral satisfaction. You no longer need to strain your ears to hear subtle details. It is right there in front on you.

Use a clean analog mixer like the Mackie CR1604VLZ4 with a good quality Class A/AB power amp like the Parasound A21+ to drive the MOABs and you will be set in musical heaven for a lifetime.

The reason I have not given this set up a score of 10/10 is because I am fully aware of the existence of better speakers/amps that can push the sonic envelope even further.

A step up from the MOAB will be the Tekton Encores with the added Beryllium center tweeters.

Tekton ENCORES

Here is Clement Perry’s review:

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/tekton-design-encore-loudspeaker/

This will make a fine far field monitoring setup in a music studio.

You can enhance the performance even further by using a pair of Revel Ultima Salon 2 speakers.

I have heard them demoed by its designer Kevin Voecks at past CES shows including several HiFi Audio Shows and local music dealers.

I agree with all the praise it got from Robert Harley in this glowing review:

REVEL Ultima Salon 2 Review

This is a Stereophile Class A full range speaker and has become a benchmark design. There are no other speakers that can outclass the performance of the Salon 2 at its price point.

The Salon 2 speakers are used in commercial mastering studios.

A step up from the Revel Salon 2 would be The Sonus Faber SE.

Only a limited number of dealers carry them. Jeff Dorgay visited LMC Home Entertainment in Scottsdale, AZ to audition them. Here is his review:

The SONUS FABER SE Review

I have personally heard them at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest including Mike’ s carefully calibrated setup at LMC Home Entertainment in Scottsdale. They are breathtaking.

There are yet a few more transducers in the world that are designed to showcase what can be achieved with a price no object approach.

The most notable design is the Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX. If you want to experience the ultimate playback system, it would be worthwhile to contact Mike for a demo session.

He has them mated to a pair of Wilson Thor’s Hammer Subs. The system is powered by Burmester electronics.

It was a religious experience for me!

Here is my review of the Chronosonic XVX (Post #166).

Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX Review

This setup deserves a 10/10

You can read Michael Fremers’ in-depth review on Stereophile Magazine:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-chronosonic-xvx-loudspeaker

Conclusion:

With the plethora of choices out there for getting the best sound from your YAMAHA GENOS using external speakers ranging from the affordable Behringer B3031A to professional Genelec and PMC monitors used in mastering studios to audiophile systems that cost more than a house, my recommendation would be to purchase the ADAM A7X 2.1 system featuring the ADAM Sub10.

This is the ideal mating at the right price point.

This is for your personal listening pleasure in your home. It will not work out as well if you are performing in front of a large audience. For that purpose, there are other PA solutions that would be more appropriate and transportable with easy setup and breakdown.

Best regards,

David

#502936 - 05/25/21 04:22 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Tapas]
Crossover Offline

I‘m thinking about buying the iLoud MTM, according to the reviews they are very powerful and surprisingly lightweight studio monitors which sound excellent.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_...3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

#502937 - 05/25/21 07:19 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Tapas]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious as to how you have access to so many different powered speakers?

#502939 - 05/25/21 10:33 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 anticipated release date [Re: Diki]
Tapas Offline

Hi Diki,

I bought them brand new over the years and decided to keep them. Each one offers exceptional value at their price point.

Besides these I also have the M-Audio BX5a monitors, M-Audio AV40 monitors, AudioEngine A2B monitors and the B&W Rock Solids. They are useful in assessing how a mix will sound under different playback systems.

I use the Tekton MOABs and the Mirage M3-Sis for far field monitoring.

Page 8 of 14 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online