SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#493891 - 04/07/20 03:34 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: tony mads usa]
gambler Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
That looks great ... nice job ... if you made that one why can't you make the one for yourself?

Thanks Tony,

My post was in reply to Bachus who said about having one made. l made my own twin set up using an old KN7000 stand and made a raised section for the Genos

#493900 - 04/07/20 06:31 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: gambler]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Thank you

#493928 - 04/08/20 10:57 AM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
The problem is, with the dual aranger's setup...you have to have room above the lower arranger to operate it....That's a deal breaker for me. The real cool features about the organs is that the upper is close to the lower AND overhangs in some cases, making a joy to play 2 manuals.
That's why I am looking to have the lower a simple MIDI unit, of the best quality I can find....worst case I could use a older used synth (Kurzweil, Yamaha or ??) and just use it as a MIDI kbd......I'm thinking that might work real nice.

Also, I do like Rikki's setup, and I could also have piano action on the lower??
Decisions, decisions....

#493929 - 04/08/20 11:10 AM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Lee why Frankenstein when you seem like you just need a dual kb... wersi or electone, etc..

Edited by Dnj (04/08/20 11:10 AM)

#493940 - 04/08/20 01:22 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Lee why Frankenstein when you seem like you just need a dual kb... wersi or electone, etc..

Or any dual keyboard...
Combined with the ketron sd 40/90

This opens huge possibilities...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#493946 - 04/08/20 02:39 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Used organs with Midi are 10 a penny these days, so why not get an older organ to give you the ideal keyboard/pedal setup, and a separate module or computer to get all the latest sounds/styles. (Just remember that full arranger styles are pretty much useless for organ play)

If you want something new, go for something like the Hammond SKX (Others are available) and add a module to that.

NOTE: You could also use an arranger as a module and stick it on top so that you can get at the style controls. (A module to your left is a better option though)

Bill

#493948 - 04/08/20 03:31 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: abacus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By abacus
Used organs with Midi are 10 a penny these days, so why not get an older organ to give you the ideal keyboard/pedal setup, and a separate module or computer to get all the latest sounds/styles. (Just remember that full arranger styles are pretty much useless for organ play)

Hi,
that sounds like an interesting scenario. Don’t know much about organs, I gather upper and lower keyboards would send on 2 seperate midi channels? If so, one would assign the lower key bed ? to have the split for left hand arranger chords, other side of split for melody, and the top set of keys for melody.

Actually if one had the space to be able to do it , an L shape configuration like I initially had with my sx900 would work perfectly.
Ie Organ ( my p121) at front sx900 to the side. The sx 900 is used as a module rather than as a keyboard. The sx900 has the registrations so they could be set up for individual song, it also has the registration sequencer, so the the registrations can be saved in the order required for the song, so a simple tap on a pedal, and it just walks it way thru the registrations. Basically no need to touch the sx whilst playing a song, only need to touch it when choosing the next one.

That’s how I originally had my sx/p121 set up. Unfortunately the p121 didn’t have audio in, so I needed a pair of speakers on either side of the piano.

Just another option maybe, Lee.

Probably in hindsight I might have bought a fully weighted keyboard controller ,with aftertouch ( if there is such a thing) but when I bought the p121 , my intention was not really to use it as a controller. The p121 was initially just going to be used as a piano in the living room. The sx was in my bedroom/studio. But after Dave mentioned it made such a difference to piano sound on sx, my plans changed.

Edited by rikkisbears (04/08/20 03:39 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#494049 - 04/09/20 06:33 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.....But:
1)Any organ I would currently be interested in is WAY to expensive.

2) A cluggy setup is not what I want, been there done that....Varranger, spent lots of $$...all I did is program and play with the tech side, very little music was played.

3) VERY FEW of today's organs have the quality of sound as, a TOTL arranger. or even a MOTL.

4) would not want a module. Tried that...MIDI controller kbds just are not setup for it, they are setup for PC music applications.

5) You can use arranger styles fine with organ playing...you just have to cut out a lot of the channels...the busy stuff that for me is too much anyways (OK if your going to sing, not do orchestral stuff) get down to basics.

6) Sure would not want to be limited to a Hammond

7) Doing a double midi setup with a PC , NO way....all you do is tech stuff....content is not there, just sounds.

Probably a Yamaha ELS-02C would be great, but, too expensive and NO warranty or support. (Thanks Yamaha, for nothing!)

So, a nice arranger, with lower and maybe pedalboard is as close as one can get today considering everything mentioned...TRX or the like is going to have to be it...

When you play an arranger the normal way we do, you are pretty much playing an organ without pedals (that is added automatically for you)...it's just that the 2 keyboards are one.

#494068 - 04/10/20 08:53 AM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
here's what i'm using.
prototype i made samson on the bottom midi into a midi merge box
set to transmit to ch 2. bass pedals midi into midi merge box set to ch3. midi out of merge box to korg pa600 midi in. in seq mode i programed a midi file as follows ch1= organ played on korg.ch2= organ lower set korg to receive on ch2 samson transmits on ch2, ch3 korg receive on ch3 midi pedals transmits on ch3.
the other set up is midi pedals direct to korg with the same above settings
now the fun part : exit the seq mode to style play. in mixer mute the bass. now i can play bass pedals with the style.
i can also use a computer as midi hub to do this. i like the idea of not having to use one . i also have the option of adding a ipad to the mix. fun stuff.

Attachments
IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG (30 downloads)

#494071 - 04/10/20 09:00 AM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: wrinkles303]
Dnj Offline

Nice setup good luck
....but< that SINGLE brace X stand worries me eek2

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online