Double Genos Keyboard/Organ

Posted by: Dnj

Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 08:15 AM

https://www.musicland.co.uk/shop/trx-organ-systems-1/trx-genos-organ/
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 08:53 AM

It would be superb. I have communicated to them, you can supply your own lower and pedals if wanted, and buy their SW to make this work. Also they sell a nice expression pedal with 2 side switches built in, YES!

They also have a box that lets you MIDI the lower Yamaha NP32 to the Genos, it is needed as the new Yamaha's ONLY have USB not real MIDI connectors, (shame on Yamaha). It has MIDI thru as well so if you use the pedals you can connect to the MIDI in on Genos (only 1 MIDI in). I'll probably get all this.

ALSO, they do have a similar setup for SX-900!!!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 08:54 AM

Go for it, Lee ...

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 09:24 AM

Lee cant wait for your review and emos .....
like Tony says Go For It...life is too short.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 09:48 AM

Why not buy an organ, the set up would be better, I had both, John C.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 11:17 AM

Thats what I was thinking a while back saying an Arranger can be set up like a home organ. Looks pretty cool, but the price !

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Thats what I was thinking a while back saying an Arranger can be set up like a home organ. Looks pretty cool, but the price !

kool avitar Bill wink
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 02:24 PM

Hi ,
I’ve got my p121 and Sx900 stacked in a similar fashion ( don’t have pedals, I don’t play organ), the only thing I can think of, is , with a setup like this , you still have a way bigger gap between the 2 sets of keys than you would with an organ.

Maybe it doesn’t really matter, I don’t know, because I only use the p121 as controller for the sx, I don’t play both sets of keys at the same time.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 02:47 PM

Thanks Donny

I needed something for the new project "Jersey Guys " We did some flyers and were about to order cards. Well that all faded away fast. I'm glad the pic didn't break the Internet.

For and extra 100 points guess the keyboard in the picture. Too easy I know.
Posted by: gambler

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/02/20 05:19 PM

Hi Lee,

Be careful what you buy from them as they are charging a lot more than they should IMO. As l said before l made my own stand to hold the Genos and NP31 and added Roland PK9 pedals.

Whatever you do, do not buy their registration software. The regi stick l told you about before forms the biggest part of the software they sell, but they charge an extortionate amount for it. They also claim to have made the software themselves which l know is not totally true as l also know the guy who in fact did make it.

Kind regards,

Russ
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/03/20 11:17 AM

Both the np32 and 31 have low quallity keybeds..
So in a dual keybed Genos you want a great keyboard as lower
As thats generally where you play the piano sounds..

There is no really good 76 midi keyboards for sale..
Which makes it best to use a high quallity used keyboard,
Think G70, motif ES or others, just as a midi controller

And the combine it with a small tablet running V-console
Which gives you the number of sounds required for 2x76 keys

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/04/20 05:42 AM

Bruno123, The cost of doing this is very reasonable, as compared to an organ of even close to the sound quality......A Genos + about $1k, if you do the pedals too.

Thanks Russ, I thought their price or the SW was pretty reasonable, maybe I should look into it some more, are the registrations really good is a big question as there are not many demos.
Lee

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/04/20 05:46 AM

Bachus, yes that's a concern, but any way I go the upper will need to actually set on top of the lower, so can't have sw, knobs etc on top of the lower, like many kbds do...that's the challenge. What I really would like is a plain MIDI kbd with electronics that they would use to actually build a organ from, but have not found it yet.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/04/20 05:47 AM

Did Richard Bower (UK) make the registrations?

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/04/20 02:40 PM

Thanks Russ, I thought their price or the SW was pretty reasonable, maybe I should look into it some more, are the registrations really good is a big question as there are not many demos.
Lee [/quote]

Hi Lee,

To give you an example they are selling - Super Elite Upgrade for Tyros-5 for £299.

It claims to have over 600 registrations. l spoke to the guys that run this company at a music event and they claimed they had completed all the work on the software themselves. l later found out this was not true. To be fair to the people involved l won't reveal any names, but l do in fact know the 2 guys who were in fact responsible for making the software.

As l said before the bulk of this Super Elite is in fact the Regi stick 4 which has 480 registrations. A well known guy in the UK who used to be a Yamaha demonstrator was responsible for Regi stick 4. Most of the rest of what that software contains came from an entirely different company. l have spoken to both of the guys involved who have confirmed it was their work. As l have also told you before you can buy the Regi stick 4 for around £36. The other software has to be loaded using YEM, but the bulk of it can be bought for around £50. So hopefully you can see there is a big difference in what they are charging.

If you look at the full TRX system for the Genos it is £7299. l've just had a quick look, and without bartering, in the UK you can buy the Genos with speakers for around £3400, NP32 is approx. £235, Bass pedals £330. That comes to £3965. The only thing l haven't looked at is the volume and sustain pedals. So basically for the pedals, stand and stool that adds over £3300 on top of what you can buy the keyboards and pedals for. When l put my system together it was originally with a Tyros 5, which l traded for the Genos and l can tell you it cost nowhere near what this company are charging.

Hopefully that has given you a bit more insight.

Kind regards,

Russ

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/04/20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By leeboy
Did Richard Bower (UK) make the registrations?

wink

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/05/20 05:51 AM

Russ, Interesting.....So I am hoping the registick 4 is for a 2 manual setup? And where do I get it? I'm thinking Yamaha Club in UK?

As to the other SW you mentioned in excess of the Registick 4, where can I order it from?

I can make my own stand setup, I will also get all my own HW,,,the 2 things they have I may get from them
1) The exp pedal with 2 built in switches (but I may be able to make my own) and the MIDI box that allows the NP31 to connect (USB host)and the bass pedals to do MIDI thru.

I really appreciate your helping me out here...
If you like you can tel me all this on PM?
Thanks,
Lee
Posted by: 124

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/05/20 11:26 AM

Photo of a nice two board setup here on Keith Ball's site.
http://korgpahelper.yolasite.com/

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/05/20 01:58 PM

[quote=leeboy]Russ, Interesting.....So I am hoping the registick 4 is for a 2 manual setup? And where do I get it? I'm thinking Yamaha Club in UK?

As to the other SW you mentioned in excess of the Registick 4, where can I order it from?
Hi Lee

l've sent you a PM as not sure abpout the rules for pasting links for other companies.

Kind regards,

Russ
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 02:25 AM

A Twinset can be put together at very low cost with any used keyboard.
Important it has Midi.
My Twinset is TOP T5-76-LOWER Np30.
The NP30 Drives T5 ACC's & Styles over it's full length.
T5 now has full keys to split into different voice zone.

With my LOWER controlling all sounds on the UPPER it's volume is muted.
The 2 boards need to be as close as possible together so LOWER controls are not needed.

https://app.box.com/s/lymi6906rhn9pnvvrlkpi1213ybd5kwr

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 06:11 AM

Excellent setup Graham
good luck..

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 06:27 AM

Originally Posted By Graham UK
A Twinset can be put together at very low coat with any used keyboard.
Important it has Midi.
My Twinset is TOP T5-76-LOWER Np30.
The NP30 Drives T5 ACC's & Styles over it's full length.
T5 now has full keys to split into different voice zone.

https://app.box.com/s/lymi6906rhn9pnvvrlkpi1213ybd5kwr

Looks great Graham..

After the Corona cricis i will have to find me a Cabinet maker/Carpenter..
That wil make me a slide out drawer stand which allows met to use my jupiter 80..
(Or any other future 76 key workstation)
In an organ position, as well as a stand alone slide out..

And then also offer room for the ipad and a windows tablet running V-console..

Nice ideas...

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 01:15 PM

Hi,
I have mine set up like this, it is a spare bedroom / music room though
Posted by: tyroschuck

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 01:37 PM

Rikki, where did you get the platform the keyboards sit on?
best regards, charles

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 03:03 PM

Hi Chuck,
It’s a bit of a weird setup.

The bottom keyboard is a Yamaha p121 piano. ( 73 keys) with the optional 3 pedal unit unit and the p121 piano stand.

The sx 900 sits on an old glass hall stand ( table basically) that just happened to be the correct height and length behind the piano. I covered it with a black sheet instead of just having the clear glass showing, along with all the cables and junk.
The sheet hides it all nicely.

I can actually slide the sx a bit further forward if I want to,.

I’d even looked at using a small book case to put sx on, and covering with a black sheet, just happened to have the right size piece of junk, ( hall stand) sitting in the garage wasting away.

Even a book case would have been safe enough , the piano wedges it against the wall , so it can’t topple.

P.s. the p121 doesn’t have 5 pin midi ports , so I use my laptop as a midi interface between p121 and sx 900 via USB. I could buy some sort of dedicated little black box to do it, but I have my sx connected to laptop most of the time anyway, so haven’t seen the need to buy something extra.

I use the p121 as a controller for the Sx900. Normally I mute the p121 piano sound when I play in arranger mode. The weighted keys make the sx piano sound nearly as good as the p121 piano, so decided not to have the hassle of a complicated midi set up.
Sustain for sx900 I actually get via the p121 sustain pedal. I then have the other 2 pedal connections for the sx itself. One I have set for registrations, the other one, I’ll possibly end up using for expression, if I can get the old Technics pedal working with it.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 03:33 PM

Rikki,
I really like your setup...when you play chords on the 121 when using in arranger mode, does the weighted keys cause any issues,,, as it is harder to get the keys down (piano action)?

Im keen on what you said about the piano sound in the SX900 being lots better when you play the 121 and control it.....I find it difficult to hit the SX keys properly to get the piano to work right, sound good etc.
Thanks,
Lee

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 04:14 PM

You have my interest. I have a Sx900 and a Pa4x.
What would I gain? (your opinion)
How do you suggest I set it up?
Or do I need a different type of second keyboard.

Can’t get out of my house, gotta do something. (smile)
John C.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 04:58 PM

After the Corona cricis i will have to find me a Cabinet maker/Carpenter..
That wil make me a slide out drawer stand which allows met to use my jupiter 80..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h2ASVeePowde5EwKx6GgLIEXutxwZxZC/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DLMWi7ALnXCNSZku326N0ruE2rkMDAOv/view?usp=sharing

This is a desk l made for my girlfriends son to use in a small recording studio l built for him. The first picture shows a pull out to hold a desktop keyboard. The other is a slide holding a Technics keyboard he uses. THe top part has compartments for rack mounted recording equipment and the monitors.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 07:59 PM

That looks great ... nice job ... if you made that one why can't you make the one for yourself?

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 09:12 PM

Rikki,
I really like your setup...when you play chords on the 121 when using in arranger mode, does the weighted keys cause any issues,,, as it is harder to get the keys down (piano action)?

Im keen on what you said about the piano sound in the SX900 being lots better when you play the 121 and control it.....I find it difficult to hit the SX keys properly to get the piano to work right, sound good etc.
Thanks,
Lee

Hi Lee,
not for me, I love the weighted keys, gives it more dynamics. I haven’t played piano for 20 years or so, and I’m not finding it difficult.

I’m using the p121 totally now as controller. When I first had my set up , I had it in an L shape, so I only used the p121 as controller if my melody sound was piano ( which is most of the time) . When I played strings or whatever else, I just played the sx and forgot about the p121.

Now that I have this setup, I only use the p121. I’m not an organ player, so using 2 sets of keys is a bit foreign to me. hence I mute the p121 sound.

With the set up I have, the midi is very basic. The p 121 just mirrors what is set up on the sx. Left hand split, and the 3 voices spread over 73 keys instead of 61.

Uncle Dave first mentioned about using weighted keys as controller and how the sx piano sounded better. It does to me too.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By bruno123
You have my interest. I have a Sx900 and a Pa4x.
What would I gain? (your opinion)
How do you suggest I set it up?
Or do I need a different type of second keyboard.

Can’t get out of my house, gotta do something. (smile)
John C.

Hi John, only thing I can think of , on a simple set up like mine would be you’d have the better feel of the Pa4x keys vs sx keys.

On a more complex set up and the brilliant midi functions on the korg, you could probably do a lot more, like using Pa4x sounds for melody, probably layering sounds.
But would you really want to basically ignore all the work you have done with your sx registrations .
Sort of glad I haven’t got mine anymore, or I’d be trying to work out all sorts of ways in combining the 2 ( which I did way back when I had my pa800 and sd2 midied) and I wouldn’t be playing again. Haha.

First option should be simple, if you just want to use Pa4x as a controller for it’s better key feel. If you want to use the sounds on both, slightly more complicated set up.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/06/20 11:22 PM

Rikki, I am still in love with the Sx900, but during lock down time the Pa4x is sure good to have. Because I want to use a keyboard to create and enjoy, the Sx900 will stay in my home.

The aging process does effect memory. There was a saying; it’s OK when you lose some of your memory, because you meet new people every day. And so, it is with me and the Pa4x. aaaaaah! (smile)

But I’m having fun, John C.
Posted by: Anthony Johnson

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 02:36 AM

As Wersi make a seperate (and fantastic) lower manual to do the job properly (Unfortunately more than £1000 more than it should cost), you would think one of the big 4 (Yamaha, Korg, Roland & Ketron) could be making something similar.
Manufacturers of Midi controller are similarly lacking in this respect. Obviously making their money too easy.
Posted by: abacus

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By Anthony Johnson
As Wersi make a seperate (and fantastic) lower manual to do the job properly (Unfortunately more than £1000 more than it should cost), you would think one of the big 4 (Yamaha, Korg, Roland & Ketron) could be making something similar.
Manufacturers of Midi controller are similarly lacking in this respect. Obviously making their money too easy.

Dealers & distributers have suggested a lower manual for their arranger keyboards, but the manufactures have said an absolute no, as there is not enough demand.

As to the Wersi, this is a handmade cabinet designed specifically to match the OAX1 keyboard and cannot be used with anything else, in addition (Like all organs) it is a low production part. (The keybed used is the same as in high-end Midi Controller keyboards like Native Instruments etc.

Bill
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 06:52 AM

I own both of these keyboards too, and they both have their strengths. Combining the two with a simple midi connection will be an awesome rig. My advice is:
Stack the PA4x on bottom, and run the audio out to the aux in on the SX.
Plug a MIDI cable from Korg OUT to Yamaha IN - set a midi preset on the Yamaha to either allow the Korg in, or not. This gives you flexibility to either control/blend the two together, or simply use each separate, like we did back in the days before MIDI.
I will echo Rikki's comment that the Korg keybed will feel so much better, and offer a wider dynamic range to the Yamaha's already wonderful sounds, so controlling the Yamaha from the Korg makes perfect sense to me.
This rig also gives you a PA4x with speakers ... as you will hear it coming through the Yamaha system. Nice.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 01:45 PM

Dave, thank you one more time, John C.

PS, was that the Italian part that sent me the email, or the other part?

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By abacus

Dealers & distributers have suggested a lower manual for their arranger keyboards, but the manufactures have said an absolute no, as there is not enough demand.

As to the Wersi, this is a handmade cabinet designed specifically to match the OAX1 keyboard and cannot be used with anything else, in addition (Like all organs) it is a low production part. (The keybed used is the same as in high-end Midi Controller keyboards like Native Instruments etc.

Bill

Where it comes to Yamaha..
they sell electone, which is actually a dual manual arranger

Anyway..

Some of those companies also kept telling us there is no demand for 76 key arrangers..

Companies that don’t communicate well with customers in general have no clue what the customers want..

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 02:05 PM

Hi Dave,
So a simple set up like we have with piano ( controller) / sx 900 would be a good way for John to go with the Pa4x?

Hi John
Just thinking if Pa4x was only used as controller like I do with my p121,
Registrations set up for Sx900 can still be used probably as is.
Better key bed on the Pa4x,
I forgot about PA 4x transmitting aftertouch ,Sx900 doesn’t have it,
but from a earlier posts on the forum,it appears Sx900 can receive it,
that alone for me would make it worth using Pa4x as controller for Sx900.

I basically , with my “simple setup,”
I can play Sx900 independently from the p121. ( or Pa4x)
I can play the p121 ( or Pa4x) independently of the Sx900.
I can use sx key bed for left hand chords and use the whole p121 ( Pa4x) keybed for playing r/ h melody. ( basically independent of each other)

I can use p121 ( Pa4x) as controller for sx 900 ie
l/h chords and r/h melody are played on the p121. ( Pa4x)

So might be worth checking into John.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 02:21 PM

That has all the makings of a very cool, versatile setup! I'd recommend using all your main comping sounds, and layers from the 4x, and even without midi - you'll have the split on top for arranger and a third (possibly stacked) sound on the SX. Try it!

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By Bachus

Bill

Where it comes to Yamaha..
they sell electone, which is actually a dual manual arranger

Anyway..

Some of those companies also kept telling us there is no demand for 76 key arrangers..

Companies that don’t communicate well with customers in general have no clue what the customers want..

An arranger is not an organ, and an organ is not an arranger, even though the arranger came from the organ.

Ironically Yamaha do communicate with their customers in Europe and Asia (They have many meetings at the various country distributers where customers are invited to attend so as to help plan future models) yet it still took them ages to get the hierarchy in Japan to authorise a 76 note version.

Bill

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
That looks great ... nice job ... if you made that one why can't you make the one for yourself?

Thanks Tony,

My post was in reply to Bachus who said about having one made. l made my own twin set up using an old KN7000 stand and made a raised section for the Genos

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/07/20 06:31 PM

Thank you

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/08/20 10:57 AM

The problem is, with the dual aranger's setup...you have to have room above the lower arranger to operate it....That's a deal breaker for me. The real cool features about the organs is that the upper is close to the lower AND overhangs in some cases, making a joy to play 2 manuals.
That's why I am looking to have the lower a simple MIDI unit, of the best quality I can find....worst case I could use a older used synth (Kurzweil, Yamaha or ??) and just use it as a MIDI kbd......I'm thinking that might work real nice.

Also, I do like Rikki's setup, and I could also have piano action on the lower??
Decisions, decisions....

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/08/20 11:10 AM

Lee why Frankenstein when you seem like you just need a dual kb... wersi or electone, etc..

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/08/20 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Lee why Frankenstein when you seem like you just need a dual kb... wersi or electone, etc..

Or any dual keyboard...
Combined with the ketron sd 40/90

This opens huge possibilities...

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/08/20 02:39 PM

Used organs with Midi are 10 a penny these days, so why not get an older organ to give you the ideal keyboard/pedal setup, and a separate module or computer to get all the latest sounds/styles. (Just remember that full arranger styles are pretty much useless for organ play)

If you want something new, go for something like the Hammond SKX (Others are available) and add a module to that.

NOTE: You could also use an arranger as a module and stick it on top so that you can get at the style controls. (A module to your left is a better option though)

Bill

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/08/20 03:31 PM

Used organs with Midi are 10 a penny these days, so why not get an older organ to give you the ideal keyboard/pedal setup, and a separate module or computer to get all the latest sounds/styles. (Just remember that full arranger styles are pretty much useless for organ play)

Hi,
that sounds like an interesting scenario. Don’t know much about organs, I gather upper and lower keyboards would send on 2 seperate midi channels? If so, one would assign the lower key bed ? to have the split for left hand arranger chords, other side of split for melody, and the top set of keys for melody.

Actually if one had the space to be able to do it , an L shape configuration like I initially had with my sx900 would work perfectly.
Ie Organ ( my p121) at front sx900 to the side. The sx 900 is used as a module rather than as a keyboard. The sx900 has the registrations so they could be set up for individual song, it also has the registration sequencer, so the the registrations can be saved in the order required for the song, so a simple tap on a pedal, and it just walks it way thru the registrations. Basically no need to touch the sx whilst playing a song, only need to touch it when choosing the next one.

That’s how I originally had my sx/p121 set up. Unfortunately the p121 didn’t have audio in, so I needed a pair of speakers on either side of the piano.

Just another option maybe, Lee.

Probably in hindsight I might have bought a fully weighted keyboard controller ,with aftertouch ( if there is such a thing) but when I bought the p121 , my intention was not really to use it as a controller. The p121 was initially just going to be used as a piano in the living room. The sx was in my bedroom/studio. But after Dave mentioned it made such a difference to piano sound on sx, my plans changed.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/09/20 06:33 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.....But:
1)Any organ I would currently be interested in is WAY to expensive.

2) A cluggy setup is not what I want, been there done that....Varranger, spent lots of $$...all I did is program and play with the tech side, very little music was played.

3) VERY FEW of today's organs have the quality of sound as, a TOTL arranger. or even a MOTL.

4) would not want a module. Tried that...MIDI controller kbds just are not setup for it, they are setup for PC music applications.

5) You can use arranger styles fine with organ playing...you just have to cut out a lot of the channels...the busy stuff that for me is too much anyways (OK if your going to sing, not do orchestral stuff) get down to basics.

6) Sure would not want to be limited to a Hammond

7) Doing a double midi setup with a PC , NO way....all you do is tech stuff....content is not there, just sounds.

Probably a Yamaha ELS-02C would be great, but, too expensive and NO warranty or support. (Thanks Yamaha, for nothing!)

So, a nice arranger, with lower and maybe pedalboard is as close as one can get today considering everything mentioned...TRX or the like is going to have to be it...

When you play an arranger the normal way we do, you are pretty much playing an organ without pedals (that is added automatically for you)...it's just that the 2 keyboards are one.
Posted by: wrinkles303

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 08:53 AM

here's what i'm using.
prototype i made samson on the bottom midi into a midi merge box
set to transmit to ch 2. bass pedals midi into midi merge box set to ch3. midi out of merge box to korg pa600 midi in. in seq mode i programed a midi file as follows ch1= organ played on korg.ch2= organ lower set korg to receive on ch2 samson transmits on ch2, ch3 korg receive on ch3 midi pedals transmits on ch3.
the other set up is midi pedals direct to korg with the same above settings
now the fun part : exit the seq mode to style play. in mixer mute the bass. now i can play bass pedals with the style.
i can also use a computer as midi hub to do this. i like the idea of not having to use one . i also have the option of adding a ipad to the mix. fun stuff.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 09:00 AM

Nice setup good luck
....but< that SINGLE brace X stand worries me eek2

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 09:46 AM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.....But:
1)Any organ I would currently be interested in is WAY to expensive.

2) A cluggy setup is not what I want, been there done that....Varranger, spent lots of $$...all I did is program and play with the tech side, very little music was played.

3) VERY FEW of today's organs have the quality of sound as, a TOTL arranger. or even a MOTL.

4) would not want a module. Tried that...MIDI controller kbds just are not setup for it, they are setup for PC music applications.

5) You can use arranger styles fine with organ playing...you just have to cut out a lot of the channels...the busy stuff that for me is too much anyways (OK if your going to sing, not do orchestral stuff) get down to basics.

6) Sure would not want to be limited to a Hammond

7) Doing a double midi setup with a PC , NO way....all you do is tech stuff....content is not there, just sounds.

Probably a Yamaha ELS-02C would be great, but, too expensive and NO warranty or support. (Thanks Yamaha, for nothing!)

So, a nice arranger, with lower and maybe pedalboard is as close as one can get today considering everything mentioned...TRX or the like is going to have to be it...

When you play an arranger the normal way we do, you are pretty much playing an organ without pedals (that is added automatically for you)...it's just that the 2 keyboards are one.

In that case, get a used 76er keyboard... that can be set to send midi out all keyboard on a single channel... choose for quallity keybed above all..

And then use V-console to turn it intoo a fully functional 2 manual Genos Organ..
Its that simple and gives you the best...

As said, no programming, just use whats allready in the Genos and expand it..

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Nice setup good luck

i'm using a table stand now with pedals

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By wrinkles303
Originally Posted By Dnj
Nice setup good luck

i'm using a table stand now with pedals

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!

looks great ...good luck and stay safe

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 11:10 AM

Thats exactly what i am trying to get rid off..

The huge gap between lower and upper keyboard...

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 11:30 AM

yep i hate it too. thats why i built the other setup. now im using just the pa600 and a set of bass pedals. (for today). easy to switch back.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 01:46 PM

I have always hated the distance between my boards with a double setup. After a dozen or so over the years,I finally found these:

https://www.quiklok.com/product/qlx-3-second-tier-add-on/

The base is adjustable,fitting over most tube diameters. I use this on my On-Stage X stand. The hight is adjustable to just clearing the bottom keyboard,or two higher.
I wish I could attach it on my table stand.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 02:02 PM

here's what i'm using.

Hi Wrinkles ,
except for the stand you’re using, the idea seems to work, both keyboards are probably as close as you can get to each other.

If I didn’t already have a stand for my p121 piano, some sort of a table for the bottom keyboard then a platform for the second, similar to what is in your photo of your first setup, would be something I’d try and do.

I used to use 2 keyboard stands at different heights ,and it sort of worked, but with the piano stand and trying to put a keyboard stand behind it, just didn’t work.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 03:30 PM

This is my Genos set up with NP31. You can just make out my Roland PK9 pedals at the bottom. It's all linked through a V console.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sbrUz6eUces4T4LwwsQRm-VDUQz-GpvL/view?usp=sharing

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By gambler
This is my Genos set up with NP31. You can just make out my Roland PK9 pedals at the bottom. It's all linked through a V console.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sbrUz6eUces4T4LwwsQRm-VDUQz-GpvL/view?usp=sharing

Hi Gambler,
Very nice setup for those who play organ.

Personally I don’t, I just have my p121 piano with sx stacked above, but I still like to have them close as possible so that I can reach sx buttons if I need to.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 04:23 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DMC122--gsi-dmc-122-dual-manual-keyboard-controller

for those looking for a duo keyboard controller that can be what ever you want it to be . i considered this but then im getting back into more programming less real playing with this. being an organist this would work for me. but for a few hundred more i could get the real thing. then i have to deal with an arranger. sometimes i wonder if i should stay just a single keyboard and quit over thinking my options and just play, afterall im not playing on stage anymore.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/10/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By gambler

Hi Gambler,
Very nice setup for those who play organ.

Personally I don’t, I just have my p121 piano with sx stacked above, but I still like to have them close as possible so that I can reach sx buttons if I need to.

Thanks Rikki,

The set up gives me the best of both. If l want to play as an organ set up then everything gets switched on, but also nice to be able to play the Genos on it's own too.

Kind regards,

Russ

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/11/20 01:10 AM

Paying a little extra now you could have this https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD/WERSI-OAX1-Deluxe-Set/art-KEY005 (Add a pedalboard if you wish) which as it is software based will be continuously updated over time (The previous OAS system lasted 14 years) so no need to swap keyboards every few years.
It also has the added advantage of an integrated VST Host which will allow you to use sounds beyond any arranger as if they were an integrated part of the organ. (No faffing about with Midi or modules)
Over time price wise you will find it will work out cheaper than a TRX type system where the arranger is constantly changed for new features every few years. (Oh and did I say there would be no faffing around)
Buying cheap can bring long term pain; spending a bit more will give you greater long term satisfaction. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ_QO0l4rV9zfPacRKCIAJw/playlists
Whatever you choose, always have fun and never look back.

Bill

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/11/20 03:53 AM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DMC122--gsi-dmc-122-dual-manual-keyboard-controller

for those looking for a duo keyboard controller that can be what ever you want it to be . i considered this but then im getting back into more programming less real playing with this. being an organist this would work for me. but for a few hundred more i could get the real thing. then i have to deal with an arranger. sometimes i wonder if i should stay just a single keyboard and quit over thinking my options and just play, afterall im not playing on stage anymore.

Its a pain to use...
All your settings need to be programmed trough a web based interface ..
And it only has 128 slots that are shared between factory and user preset sounds
( with the gemini expansion board inside)

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/11/20 03:58 AM

Paying a little extra now you could have this https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD/WERSI-OAX1-Deluxe-Set/art-KEY005 (Add a pedalboard if you wish) which as it is software based will be continuously updated over time (The previous OAS system lasted 14 years) so no need to swap keyboards every few years.
It also has the added advantage of an integrated VST Host which will allow you to use sounds beyond any arranger as if they were an integrated part of the organ. (No faffing about with Midi or modules)
Over time price wise you will find it will work out cheaper than a TRX type system where the arranger is constantly changed for new features every few years. (Oh and did I say there would be no faffing around)
Buying cheap can bring long term pain; spending a bit more will give you greater long term satisfaction. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ_QO0l4rV9zfPacRKCIAJw/playlists

Bill

There are several reasons why i still dont have this setup..
-no midi multipads, only audio one shots..
-no freely assinable sliders..
-akward vst interface, and no support for vst effects
-price ( but thats the least of my worries)

However the full support for yamaha and Roland styles makes me very happy
When the lockdown is over, i will definately ride down to music store and give this another try. No pedals.. just 2 keyboards..

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/11/20 05:20 AM

Bill

When the lockdown is over, i will definately ride down to music store and give this another try. No pedals.. just 2 keyboards..

Yes, multipads are a bit of a pain, however OAS had the option to use them as full multipads, so it will probably just a matter of time before they are included in an OAX update.
I believe assignable sliders were added in the last update. (Or possibly even the previous update)
VST Effect Plug-ins is fully supported in the Host, but currently all editing has to be done from within the VST Host. Providing you just select the VST user page in the Host it is pretty easy to use and pretty much the same as other VST Hosts.
As I said in my post long term it should work out cheaper.
I am led to believe that Korg & Ketron converters are on the way. (Don’t forget OAX (And OAS if you have the OAA installed) has native support for T2 styles without needing any conversion)

One thing that would be nice would be integration of Cubase Elements (Or other DAW) so you could really have fun editing styles midi & audio files.

Bill

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/11/20 05:35 AM

Bill

Yes, multipads are a bit of a pain, however OAS had the option to use them as full multipads, so it will probably just a matter of time before they are included in an OAX update.
I believe assignable sliders were added in the last update. (Or possibly even the previous update)
VST Effect Plug-ins is fully supported in the Host, but currently all editing has to be done from within the VST Host. Providing you just select the VST user page in the Host it is pretty easy to use and pretty much the same as other VST Hosts.
As I said in my post long term it should work out cheaper.
I am led to believe that Korg & Ketron converters are on the way. (Don’t forget OAX (And OAS if you have the OAA installed) has native support for T2 styles without needing any conversion)

One thing that would be nice would be integration of Cubase Elements (Or other DAW) so you could really have fun editing styles midi & audio files.

Bill

That would be great... fullfledged daw of choice In OAX..

Wersi should look at the ipad and apps like AUM and Audiobus
They allow you to run multiple daws..

All OAX needs to offer for DAW support is midi and audio in from a3rd program and ways to sync them (ableton sync)

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 05:26 AM

Gambler, Can yo get the upper closer to the lower?
I don't think on a P31 you have to get to any controls on top of it??
I want to be able to set the front of the upper, right down on or close with maybe a 1" spacer. And I want the slight overhang of the upper to lower...like some actual organs. That is really a great setup to have....you can even bridge your hand upper to lower to play some notes while holding others on opposite manuals.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 07:44 AM

imo the Hammond B3 has the best double keyboard setup
and key distance for the player.....
I would try to copy as close to this design as possible
if your gonna Frankenstein a setup if possible
it just feels right playing it.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 07:57 AM

AMEN!! But I would make sure that one of the keyboards (bottom?) was a 76er and suitable for piano-style playing.

chas

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By cgiles
AMEN!! But I would make sure that one of the keyboards (bottom?) was a 76er and suitable for piano-style playing.

chas

maybe for some but not all same on both for me
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 08:08 AM

Just goes to prove....no 'one size fits all'.

chas

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By cgiles

chas

To bad, the orla jamkey didn’t get a chance to grow
It was pulled from the market after 2 years by Orla..
When they got into rough financial weather..
The people that took over the brand had no interest in this type of product..

Except for Wersi, its the only organ keyboard i know with 76 lower and 76 or 61 upper...

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 08:50 AM

either you play piano or organ simple as that

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 08:56 AM

After many years of stacking a bass, and or synth on top of my Rhodes, I'm happy with a "little" reach to the upper board. This current studio setup is as good as I feel I can get, given my desires. Even without midi connections, reaching up to play bass, or trigger the arranger is no biggie. With a custom stand, you could even get about 2 inches closer, but I switch things around too often to do that. This is about 99% perfect, and most dual kb players that have tried it - love it.
First pic is my current studio rig, the second is a touring rig I could also embrace in an instant!

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 09:00 AM

it's "the Reach" that makes me always be a single KB player
years ago I used 3 or sometimes 4 but always in a circle setup with a swivel stool..

on top of that havving a dual setup if you STAND is very awkward too when performing

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
havving a dual setup if you STAND is very awkward too when performing

Did that all through the 80s - Clav D6 as the base, Rhodes directly on top, with long legs extended in the back, and the synth du jour on top. Easy to reach everything, and a great look on stage ... not to mention getting my gut out of my lap for better vocal comfort. With I had pictures of that setup .... it really was ergonomic for a live show.

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 09:31 AM

I'm sure your back & ankles thank you too..........
I stood for many years......paying for it now

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
I'm sure your back & ankles thank you too...

Don't be so sure ... I stand for 4 sets, and 3 breaks .... with minimal sit-down sessions with guests. If it hurts, I'll change, but for now - it's the most exercise I get. lol

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
either you play piano or organ simple as that

Its not as simple as that....
For many others..

You have..
- Organ
- piano
- digital piano ( rhodes/wurly)
- synth

And then you have arrangers, where you cram in all the above in a single keyboard
And then add muchmuch more..
And when you look around you, you see 3veryone using their arrangers in their own preferred way...

There is not 2 choices... there is hundreds...

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 01:38 PM

Its not as simple as that....

- digital piano ( rhodes/wurly)

Neither of these are digital pianos. What are you saying?

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/12/20 04:37 PM

Gambler, Can yo get the upper closer to the lower?
I don't think on a P31 you have to get to any controls on top of it??
I want to be able to set the front of the upper, right down on or close with maybe a 1" spacer. And I want the slight overhang of the upper to lower...like some actual organs. That is really a great setup to have....you can even bridge your hand upper to lower to play some notes while holding others on opposite manuals.

The photo of my set up is deceiving. The front of the Genos keys are directly in line with the back of the Np31 keys. The gap between the keyboards is roughly 1.5" higher than the keyboards on my Technics G100 organ. There isn't that much of a difference when l play either.

Kind regards,

Russ

Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ - 04/13/20 01:13 PM

For home players, you can allways consider a setup like this...

Yamaha Montage, G3nos, modx
Roland Jupiter 80, system 8
Korg Kronos..