SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#493853 - 04/06/20 09:31 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By bruno123
You have my interest. I have a Sx900 and a Pa4x.
What would I gain? (your opinion)
How do you suggest I set it up?
Or do I need a different type of second keyboard.

Can’t get out of my house, gotta do something. (smile)
John C.

Hi John, only thing I can think of , on a simple set up like mine would be you’d have the better feel of the Pa4x keys vs sx keys.

On a more complex set up and the brilliant midi functions on the korg, you could probably do a lot more, like using Pa4x sounds for melody, probably layering sounds.
But would you really want to basically ignore all the work you have done with your sx registrations .
Sort of glad I haven’t got mine anymore, or I’d be trying to work out all sorts of ways in combining the 2 ( which I did way back when I had my pa800 and sd2 midied) and I wouldn’t be playing again. Haha.

First option should be simple, if you just want to use Pa4x as a controller for it’s better key feel. If you want to use the sounds on both, slightly more complicated set up.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493854 - 04/06/20 11:22 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Rikki, I am still in love with the Sx900, but during lock down time the Pa4x is sure good to have. Because I want to use a keyboard to create and enjoy, the Sx900 will stay in my home.

The aging process does effect memory. There was a saying; it’s OK when you lose some of your memory, because you meet new people every day. And so, it is with me and the Pa4x. aaaaaah! (smile)

But I’m having fun, John C.

#493855 - 04/07/20 02:36 AM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
As Wersi make a seperate (and fantastic) lower manual to do the job properly (Unfortunately more than £1000 more than it should cost), you would think one of the big 4 (Yamaha, Korg, Roland & Ketron) could be making something similar.
Manufacturers of Midi controller are similarly lacking in this respect. Obviously making their money too easy.

#493856 - 04/07/20 05:31 AM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Anthony Johnson]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Anthony Johnson
As Wersi make a seperate (and fantastic) lower manual to do the job properly (Unfortunately more than £1000 more than it should cost), you would think one of the big 4 (Yamaha, Korg, Roland & Ketron) could be making something similar.
Manufacturers of Midi controller are similarly lacking in this respect. Obviously making their money too easy.

Dealers & distributers have suggested a lower manual for their arranger keyboards, but the manufactures have said an absolute no, as there is not enough demand.

As to the Wersi, this is a handmade cabinet designed specifically to match the OAX1 keyboard and cannot be used with anything else, in addition (Like all organs) it is a low production part. (The keybed used is the same as in high-end Midi Controller keyboards like Native Instruments etc.

Bill

#493859 - 04/07/20 06:52 AM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I own both of these keyboards too, and they both have their strengths. Combining the two with a simple midi connection will be an awesome rig. My advice is:
Stack the PA4x on bottom, and run the audio out to the aux in on the SX.
Plug a MIDI cable from Korg OUT to Yamaha IN - set a midi preset on the Yamaha to either allow the Korg in, or not. This gives you flexibility to either control/blend the two together, or simply use each separate, like we did back in the days before MIDI.
I will echo Rikki's comment that the Korg keybed will feel so much better, and offer a wider dynamic range to the Yamaha's already wonderful sounds, so controlling the Yamaha from the Korg makes perfect sense to me.
This rig also gives you a PA4x with speakers ... as you will hear it coming through the Yamaha system. Nice.

#493877 - 04/07/20 01:45 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dave, thank you one more time, John C.

PS, was that the Italian part that sent me the email, or the other part?

#493878 - 04/07/20 01:49 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus

Dealers & distributers have suggested a lower manual for their arranger keyboards, but the manufactures have said an absolute no, as there is not enough demand.

As to the Wersi, this is a handmade cabinet designed specifically to match the OAX1 keyboard and cannot be used with anything else, in addition (Like all organs) it is a low production part. (The keybed used is the same as in high-end Midi Controller keyboards like Native Instruments etc.

Bill

Where it comes to Yamaha..
they sell electone, which is actually a dual manual arranger

Anyway..

Some of those companies also kept telling us there is no demand for 76 key arrangers..

Companies that don’t communicate well with customers in general have no clue what the customers want..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#493879 - 04/07/20 02:05 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dave,
So a simple set up like we have with piano ( controller) / sx 900 would be a good way for John to go with the Pa4x?

Hi John
Just thinking if Pa4x was only used as controller like I do with my p121,
Registrations set up for Sx900 can still be used probably as is.
Better key bed on the Pa4x,
I forgot about PA 4x transmitting aftertouch ,Sx900 doesn’t have it,
but from a earlier posts on the forum,it appears Sx900 can receive it,
that alone for me would make it worth using Pa4x as controller for Sx900.

I basically , with my “simple setup,”
I can play Sx900 independently from the p121. ( or Pa4x)
I can play the p121 ( or Pa4x) independently of the Sx900.
I can use sx key bed for left hand chords and use the whole p121 ( Pa4x) keybed for playing r/ h melody. ( basically independent of each other)

I can use p121 ( Pa4x) as controller for sx 900 ie
l/h chords and r/h melody are played on the p121. ( Pa4x)

So might be worth checking into John.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#493881 - 04/07/20 02:21 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That has all the makings of a very cool, versatile setup! I'd recommend using all your main comping sounds, and layers from the 4x, and even without midi - you'll have the split on top for arranger and a third (possibly stacked) sound on the SX. Try it!

#493884 - 04/07/20 02:57 PM Re: Double Genos Keyboard/Organ [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By abacus

Bill

Where it comes to Yamaha..
they sell electone, which is actually a dual manual arranger

Anyway..

Some of those companies also kept telling us there is no demand for 76 key arrangers..

Companies that don’t communicate well with customers in general have no clue what the customers want..

An arranger is not an organ, and an organ is not an arranger, even though the arranger came from the organ.

Ironically Yamaha do communicate with their customers in Europe and Asia (They have many meetings at the various country distributers where customers are invited to attend so as to help plan future models) yet it still took them ages to get the hierarchy in Japan to authorise a 76 note version.

Bill

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online