SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#477944 - 10/13/19 06:28 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: john smies]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
We Had 2 Norwegian Elkhounds and different times...Beautiful Dogs...First came when I worked night shifts. It lived in our Home...NO ONE was going to enter our Home during the night! We have now moved on to Goldens as we Age!

#477975 - 10/13/19 01:05 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Harold123]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I Played a Sx900 for one hour at Guitar Center today. In my opinion, the Sx900 is an upgrade from the S975, and no more. I had Technics keyboards from the Kn1000 to the Kn7000, all were considered upgrades, none were earth shattering until the SD card.

I have allowed the posts here on SZ to bring confusion. Lots of videos and opinions. One hour was all I needed to find a direction, and that is because I knew what kind of music I would be playing. I played the Pa1000 for a while, the keyboard is alive, strong, filled with drive. Good for playing jobs, without doubt.

My Kn7000 had so much of what I wanted, except it did not have the depth or drive. I tried ABBE sonic maximizer, an EQ, and added a sub-woofer for the bass and drums. I could not make the keyboard do more than it was designed for, When I bought the Pa800 I thought I was in Heaven. Right up to the Pa4x, Korg was fantastic.

But in the last six years I have not played Classical music, or show tunes, play fiddle play, somewhere over the rainbow, or any type of society music. Many of the slower songs did not require a style.
All of that to say, now I know me, and selecting I will be much easier. Want a keyboard that will give me what I want, so I can get back to the music I used to play; it was good.

Will I buy a Sx 900? Don’t know yet, but it will not be a Korg.
Only my opinion, John C.

#477996 - 10/13/19 05:17 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi John ,
sorry to hear it wasn’t all you had hoped for.
Did you get a chance to try any of the styles from the Movie / Show Category, unless I totally misunderstood what it is you’re wanting to play.
The Broadway Ballad is one I use a lot. Different tempos. I found it very versatile.
Also like the free play styles.Thinking of either doing a few piano pads for them' or if possible just copy a piano track over.

They did seem to drop a bunch of classical styles including classical piano, ( or at least I haven’t found it) don’t know which version of the psr’s they did this on.
Either way came across them doing my style database. If of any use I can send them to you, should you decide check sx out again.

And if that’s the type of thing you’re after.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478002 - 10/13/19 06:22 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Rikki, writing my feelings helps me to make a decision. The last thing I did in Guitar Center was to play a style on the Sx900, then play the same type of style on a Pa1000. I had to stop myself from buying another Pa1000, but those days are over. I’m going back to loving and playing all kinds of music.

Part of my background:
My Dad was a concert pianist, his parents sent him to Italy to study music/piano. He played a 15-minute program on radio, before TV arrived. He played classical music and pop, all without music. And, he had his own band. At the places where they showed movies without sound, he was the piano player under the screen. I grew up listening to him play. At age 83, just before he left, he said,
“Johnny, no more piano player”.
They were the saddest words I’ve ever heard.

I went to bed an hour ago, could not sleep – had to get up --- I can’t wait until I place an order for a Sx900 tomorrow.

Thanks for reading, John C.
PS, I have another reason for buying the Sx900, there is no way you were going to get ahead of me. ha ha (I learned that from you)

#478005 - 10/13/19 07:49 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By bruno123
Rikki, writing my feelings helps me to make a decision. The last thing I did in Guitar Center was to play a style on the Sx900, then play the same type of style on a Pa1000. I had to stop myself from buying another Pa1000, but those days are over. I’m going back to loving and playing all kinds of music.

Part of my background:
My Dad was a concert pianist, his parents sent him to Italy to study music/piano. He played a 15-minute program on radio, before TV arrived. He played classical music and pop, all without music. And, he had his own band. At the places where they showed movies without sound, he was the piano player under the screen. I grew up listening to him play. At age 83, just before he left, he said,
“Johnny, no more piano player”.
They were the saddest words I’ve ever heard.

I went to bed an hour ago, could not sleep – had to get up --- I can’t wait until I place an order for a Sx900 tomorrow.

Thanks for reading, John C.
PS, I have another reason for buying the Sx900, there is no way you were going to get ahead of me. ha ha (I learned that from you)

Hi John, wonderful story about your dad, except for the last little bit. Have to agree, very sad.

Basically if I understand correctly, you love the korgs ( me too) but, they lack some of the styles you require for an all rounder. Whereas with Yamaha you hopefully should just be able to sit down and play.

No doubt, I won’t be able to help myself, I’ll still be altering the odd style, but it will because I want to, not because I have too.

Doubt I’ll get ahead of you John, haha , you probably know psrs better than me.
I’ve been tied up doing a style base, there are some pretty good factory styles Yamaha have dropped over the years, I’m trying not to lose them. Some sound reasonably good even as they are. Certainly not wasting time tweaking any, only if I find I need one. I’m a sucker for piano ballads and the some of the movie styles. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478197 - 10/16/19 04:36 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: rikkisbears]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Will Korg make any attempt to improve their sound engine out of the box with their next mid level release (8/20 on 3 yr schedule)? Seems to me if they continue to rely on customer alteration of their sounds to make them acceptable, they will lose more ground to Yamaha and others who don't require this out of the box. Myself , and my audience can't "hear" features, just sounds and rhythms.

Edited by sparky589 (10/16/19 04:37 PM)

#496204 - 05/02/20 11:09 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: travlin'easy]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
from my perspective, 99-percent of the arranger keyboard players use less than 10-percent of the built-in features of their keyboards...

Gary cool

Quite a saying there Gary....With that said guys I wanna know the PROS & CONS of BOTH Machines as I am seriously thinking of picking one up.

Let her rip....

#496208 - 05/02/20 11:29 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Steve A
from my perspective, 99-percent of the arranger keyboard players use less than 10-percent of the built-in features of their keyboards...

Gary cool

Quite a saying there Gary....With that said guys I wanna know the PROS & CONS of BOTH Machines as I am seriously thinking of picking one up.

Let her rip....

Steve just do a search here on SZ on both KBs much info already said here ..good luck

#496210 - 05/02/20 11:36 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Telmo]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
The thing is the comparison is like comparing newer technology with older technology.

Rather like comparing the sx900 with the Psr s975,

Or the pa900 with the pa1000.

#496213 - 05/02/20 11:44 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-SX900 BATTLES Korg PA1000 [Re: Dnj]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Steve A

Gary cool

Let her rip....

Steve just do a search here on SZ on both KBs much info already said here ..good luck

I DID...That's why I resurrected this one...Your timeline take on the machines is interesting. It was one of the reasons I resurrected it. Your position changes periodically.....Which is what I am looking for....What do people say TODAY....

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online