SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#467947 - 03/28/19 01:12 PM How do you balance personal and charity issues?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It's new car time. My 2016 Subaru Crosstreck has 45,000 on it and I generally trade before 60,000 or 4 years. This year, I'm looking at a new Lexus XU also.

Thing is, the Lexus is $12,000 more. That's enough to fund a full year, including room and board, books, fees and spending money at the University of Kentucky.

Then, there's the matter of my 5 other vehicles and 4 motorcycles I own.

I just bought my son a little Nissan Versa, which cost 1/2 the Crosstreck and 1/3 the Lexus. It's a perfectly suitable, brand new vehicle.

I can see rewarding one's self for hard work and success, but how do you make the determination of what's justified and what's simply wasteful and self-centered.

Seems no matter what you have, you easily adjust to more.

Five years ago, I began taking a lunchable snack to work two days a week and donating the $25.00 I would normally spend on the lunches to a local shelter. Never missed a meal, and I've been told by the shelter that the money so far has provided needy people over 2500 meals.

My kids think I'm crazy; even to the point of harboring a little jealousy, suggesting that an early part of their inheritances would be greatly appreciated.

How do all you guys figure all of this out?

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (03/28/19 01:14 PM)

#467961 - 03/28/19 11:13 PM Re: How do you balance personal and charity issues? [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You have a big heart Russ. The world needs more people like you. I know you will always make the right decisions.

#467962 - 03/28/19 11:16 PM Re: How do you balance personal and charity issues? [Re: captain Russ]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Russ, yes, I agree with the kids.
But, HELL !! ain't it great being crazy?
Seriously, I don't think you owe the world a lot, so indulge yourself for once. You will still go on giving, as you have in the past.
Enjoy "yourself" this once.

Ray dance

#467963 - 03/29/19 12:16 AM Re: How do you balance personal and charity issues? [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By captain Russ

My kids think I'm crazy; even to the point of harboring a little jealousy, suggesting that an early part of their inheritances would be greatly appreciated.
Russ

Maybe you should suggest to them that you will use an early part of their inheritances donating it to worthwhile charities in their names. I would love to see their faces.

#467966 - 03/29/19 02:49 AM Re: How do you balance personal and charity issues? [Re: captain Russ]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Hey Russ, it is a good thing to do, teaching your family that there are always someone else less fortunate than them and that just a small amount of thought can help a lot. One day they may need a helping hand, like their car breaks down or they need a meal or something, wouldn't they like to be helped a little?
My wife and I do something similar each month, and then change it each year to somewhere else, to spread the love around, so to speak. A little here and there is good for the soul they say.

Allan

#467979 - 03/29/19 09:46 AM Re: How do you balance personal and charity issues? [Re: tassiespirit]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, folks. It's just that the need is so great. People are suffering all over. What I can do is probably not even statistically significant in the State of Kentucky.

I guess helping with a meal is real. Doing it on a regular basis
makes a cumulative dent in the local hunger problem.

I put a disadvantaged kid through the University every year.

I'm getting the Subaru and increasing my sponsorship of deserving kids.

So far, in the last 20 years I have helped nearly 100 kids get and undergraduate degree.

That's more important than driving a Lexus any day.

Russ

#468004 - 03/30/19 01:20 AM Re: How do you balance personal and charity issues? [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

You have made a huge difference to so many lives. That is an amazing legacy. The world is a better place because of it.

#468035 - 03/31/19 02:49 AM Re: How do you balance personal and charity issues? [Re: captain Russ]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Russ,
That's probably a good decision for you.
I have a friend who drives a Lexus and he forever complains about the navigation system, to a point where he has Garmin stuck on the windscreen for mapping, and the Lexus navigator for audio.
It is an ordeal to sit in the passenger seat when it is happening

Ray (who has neither,and I have not got lost yet) dance

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online