SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#467226 - 03/08/19 08:54 AM Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi,

I've been using two Bose Compacts for years, and still like them, but I gotten several events coming up that I don't think they will handle well. We got booked for few quinceanera (15th birthday party) and some wedding (young couples) Some of the events we'll be alternating with DJ, while others I"ll be playing recorded music during the breaks and special presentations (mostly very heavy bass material like hip hop)
I don't think my Bose Compacts will produce the sound that the young people are accustomed to.....

So, I'm thinking of using the Bose Compacts as monitors, and setting up behind pair of 12" powered speakers and and pair of 15" or 18" subs.

I already own a single Electro-Voice ZLX-12P 12", which sounds pretty good, so I thought I just get another one to complete the set.

Now, as for the subs, I'm not sure.... I've never used subs before. Not sure at all what to get or what size even. I know I'd like something under 70LBS. My budget is $2000.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#467228 - 03/08/19 09:10 AM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I use a Behringer 1200 sub (40 lbs. ) with my two Eon Ones and it fills out the sound nicely. Maybe two of those with your Bose Compacts. Roll the bass off your compacts so they can push the mids and highs better and let the subs do the heavy lifting.
I just did a party in a bowling alley and it was all dance music. My system worked well in such a large enclosure.
Bring the EV along and lay it on the floor behind you for a monitor. .
Good luck.

#467231 - 03/08/19 09:35 AM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Paul call Frank at Audioworks ct he can advise you in the right way for sure on a PA.

http://audioworksct.com/

#467232 - 03/08/19 10:11 AM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
One more thought I forgot to mention. You don't need to be able to blow out candles on a table in the back of the room. Just enough sound to cover the dance area and the rest of the room will be able to hear the music at a comfortable volume.
good luck

#467233 - 03/08/19 10:18 AM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bose L1 PAS https://pro.bose.com/en_us/products/loudspeakers/portable/l1_model_ii.html

https://pro.bose.com/en_us/products/loudspeakers/portable/l1_model_ii.html

I've used this in the past and it will cover any venue up to 1,200 drunken boaters. This was the largest crowd I ever performed in front of, but I also used it for a concert in Aberdeen Municipal Park, which is about 3 acres and had folks dancing at the other end of the park from where I was set up.

Great thing about Bose, you can send it back, no questions asked, with 30 days, for a full refund.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#467237 - 03/08/19 11:39 AM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: travlin'easy]
Torch Offline

Why don't you look into the Dave 12 G3 2.1 system with 12' subwoofer by LD Systems? $500 shipped. An amazing value. https://www.amazon.com/LD-Systems-DAVE-1...sr=8-6-fkmrnull

Musicians' Friend still sells it for $999 and fantastic reviews on this German website by users;
https://m.thomannmusic.com/ld_systems_dave_12_g3_reviews.htm

I have a number of speakers by LD Systems. They sound good.

I might add that the 2.1 system will be a "real" PA system in comparison with the Bose you had been using. I stay away from Bose all together for a number of reasons. One of them is I feel that with Bose I get much less for what I pay.

Edited by Torch (03/08/19 11:43 AM)
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#467238 - 03/08/19 11:46 AM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By montunoman
Hi,

I've been using two Bose Compacts for years, and still like them, but I gotten several events coming up that I don't think they will handle well. We got booked for few quinceanera (15th birthday party) and some wedding (young couples) Some of the events we'll be alternating with DJ, while others I"ll be playing recorded music during the breaks and special presentations (mostly very heavy bass material like hip hop)
I don't think my Bose Compacts will produce the sound that the young people are accustomed to.....

So, I'm thinking of using the Bose Compacts as monitors, and setting up behind pair of 12" powered speakers and and pair of 15" or 18" subs.

I already own a single Electro-Voice ZLX-12P 12", which sounds pretty good, so I thought I just get another one to complete the set.

Now, as for the subs, I'm not sure.... I've never used subs before. Not sure at all what to get or what size even. I know I'd like something under 70LBS. My budget is $2000.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Another thought:
Since you have 2 Bose Compact look at this:
https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/mau...pk87m6n6alvtnh3

Maui 28G2. You can get them for around $2000
They are compact but very powerful.
Donny used to have the Maui 28 G1.
The G2 are more compact, lighter and more powerful with improved sound.
They are as good or better than the Bose.
I liked the sound better side by side when compared to the L1 Mode2.
Frank sells them too. wink
Eric

P.S. Right know I don't need them, but I am planing on getting them (2) down the line wink

Edited by Eric, B (03/08/19 11:47 AM)

#467246 - 03/08/19 12:56 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: Eric, B]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I echo what Eric mentioned, I used to have 4 Bose Compacts that I needed to use when I play at the Sundial Rec Center in Sun City, the Compacts could not handle it, they had some saturation, I purchased from Frankie 2 LD5s Maui almost 2 years ago, and never look back, they are much more powerful, quality is the same, cost is much lower than the Compacts, but, I know, for QuinceaƱeras, people like it louder than the American audience, so, if I was in your shoes, consider the G2s Maui that Eric mention.

My 2 Cents.

Manuel

#467253 - 03/08/19 02:21 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: mdorantes]
Torch Offline

I still have my Maui 28. It's overkill for me as I play small venues, but it has an excellent, rich, and warm sound probably because it uses class A/B amps while the newer version uses a class D amp. However, the new sub is 43 pounds, while mine is 63 LBS. Time to let go of my Maui 28.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#467255 - 03/08/19 03:24 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks guys, so many options, I'm kinda going crazy!

Bill and Torch, the Beringer and the LD seems like a great lite weight choice and the price is right! Not sure if it would have the punch needed though?

I can't help but have doubts about the Bose that Gary recommends and Maui that Eric and Manuel recommend. Believe, I really don't want to schlep 18 inch subs but my competitors are all using as many as four 18' subs and multiple 15' tops.

As Manuel pointed out, Latinos (especially younger ones) love to feel that bass pumping. I think there must be a reason you never see any band or DJ using these small Bose and Maui systems at these Latino events.

Edited by montunoman (03/09/19 06:31 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online