SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#467363 - 03/11/19 02:05 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I think the confusion is coming from how loud you want to be. Multiple 18" subs and 15" tops is really overkill for an indoor event. I saw a Mexican band come into a restaurant here with some home made speakers the size of a compact car. It was so loud it was painful. I wasn't around past their sound check but I'll bet they had to turn it down. And forget bout moving all that.
To take one step up from what I first suggested then go with the Behringer 1500 subs $400 ea. and add another ev ZLX12 $400. Use you Bose for a monitor. IMHO that should be plenty loud enough, you'll still be able to move it all, and you'll have cash leftover.
Good Luck

Bill, you got a taste of what the Latino crowd has come to expect. It's crazy and getting out of control!!! I love my Bose Compacts but at least without a sub they don't have the low end nor volume that is being demanded.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#467365 - 03/11/19 02:24 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

My wife and I went to a wedding reception recently for a Mexican couple in their 50's. During the dinner hour the DJ (who had three 18 inch subs and six 15 inch tops) was playing Latin EDM at a crazy high volume. I kindly suggested to the DJ that he turn it down and play something more appropriate for dinner. He said that's what the couple requested.... When the dancing stated, it got even louder. Everyone expect the older "gringos" seemed fine with it. Made me think of the old saying "if it's too loud, you're too old" Guess I'm too old for that!

#467366 - 03/11/19 02:40 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Paul ... I remember attending weddings in NY even 20 years ago where the bride and groom came into the room to hi-volume disco music and the volume never came down ...
I'm glad I was pretty much out of the 'wedding business' by then ...

Edited by tony mads usa (03/11/19 02:41 PM)

#467367 - 03/11/19 02:49 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul, even when I was relatively young and played with a band, I never cranked up to ear bleed volume. My way at looking at this is that most of the bands that cranked up to those levels usually were trying to compensate for their lack of musicianship. Most of the time, I was right.

When the DJs cranked up to ear bleed volumes it's because they didn't get a response from the crowd and figured they needed to crank up the volume to get their attention, especially at wedding receptions. The vast majority couldn't read a crowd to save their arse. All the did was drive people away. Had they been able to read the crowd and played the right kind of music for the event, they would have done just fine at lower volumes.

The main reason I recommended that Bose L1 PAS or Mod II system is that you can independently control the sub level, and still maintain extremely high quality and clarity in the upper ranges. NO conventional sound system can do this - NONE, at least none that I have come across in the past half century. Usually, when those systems go to higher volume levels, they tend to distort, not just at the lower frequencies, but at all frequencies.

Finally, Bose offers pro musicians the highest quality service and the best return policy. I have worked with the vast majority of other PA system manufacturers and none came close to providing what Bose did.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#467368 - 03/11/19 02:50 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

We're doomed.... when I get a wedding invitation I rip it up and throw them in the garbage...
I'm not going through that torture....

#467369 - 03/11/19 02:53 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Maui is louder, deeper, clearer than Bose, with more inputs, e.q., and is about half the price. I only have the 5s, which are perfect for me, but the larger ones are fantastic.

#467370 - 03/11/19 02:57 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Funny thing is at this Mexican Restaurant I had just finished playing the Dinner time set and this band was setting up for the late night singles crowd. Now I am getting old but when I say their soundcheck was painfully loud I'm not kidding. So as I'm leaving I see all these single guys and girls all dressed up coming in and paying the $30 cover. And I thought "how can any of these guys meet a girl if you can't talk to her" ?
Sign language in Spanish ?? rotfl

#467371 - 03/11/19 02:58 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
We're doomed.... when I get a wedding invitation I rip it up and throw them in the garbage...
I'm not going through that torture....

Yes indeed. It's a crazy world!

#467372 - 03/11/19 03:00 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Funny thing is at this Mexican Restaurant I had just finished playing the Dinner time set and this band was setting up for the late night singles crowd. Now I am getting old but when I say their soundcheck was painfully loud I'm not kidding. So as I'm leaving I see all these single guys and girls all dressed up coming in and paying the $30 cover. And I thought "how can any of these guys meet a girl if you can't talk to her" ?
Sign language in Spanish ?? rotfl

Didn't you know that people don't talk anymore? There's no need to when you can text, intragram, Facebook smile

#467373 - 03/11/19 03:03 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Maui is louder, deeper, clearer than Bose, with more inputs, e.q., and is about half the price. I only have the 5s, which are perfect for me, but the larger ones are fantastic.

I'm sure I'd be very happy with a Maui, but have my doubts if it would work with the Latino audience. I haven't heard one yet, so I could be wrong!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online