SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#463482 - 12/20/18 04:54 AM Buying new iPad
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
My 8 yr old iPad has older system and 16GB about used up. Rather than clean out unused apps, I opted for the latest on sale at Amazon, 9.7, 32GB. Before it arrives, I have to decide what to do with the old one that has my sheet music, MP3s etc. What I have on it works fine, and am tempted to leave it alone and start with some newer music apps on the new. or transfer some.

I don't want to waste the new capacity with redundant data, but wonder if having two will cause confusion with iTunes when it comes to uploading material. What have some of you done?

#463485 - 12/20/18 05:25 AM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I keep my old iPad as a back up. Apple has made it simple to make a clone of your old ipad. When firing up the new iPad chosse the copy from old iPad , it will then walk you thru a procedure using your new iPad’s camera to copy the moving circle on the old iPad. From there the devices take over and you just can sit back and wait for the copy to complete.

This link at iMore provides more info:

https://www.imore.com/how-transfer-data-old-ipad-new-ipad

#463488 - 12/20/18 05:45 AM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I have an iPad with 16 GB and it is now relegated to being used for taking photos, playing solitaire and chess. My words of warning to you, Bernie... be sure to write down all the security questions they ask you, remember your new user ID and password by hiding them away somewhere you can find them. If you change internet service providers... you will be in for a "merry go round" of mind numbing stupidity from Apple regarding security.

They automatically assume your iPad has been stolen and their system is not set up to deal with humans. Most of their hired hands are offshore and really enjoy putting the screws to Americans. If I can't get these idiots to come to their senses soon, I will "jailbreak" my iPad (it does belong to me, after all) and install another operating system on it.

If you surmise that I am angry with them... it would be a correct assumption! LOL!

Good luck with the new gear. ----Dave

#463494 - 12/20/18 06:38 AM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

I just heard on tv ipads getting called back due to BENT housings buyer beware..

https://www.news.com.au/technology/gadge...3eeddc45c0ce44c

#463500 - 12/20/18 07:11 AM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Luckily, I didn't go for the Pro model.

#463506 - 12/20/18 08:44 AM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
No bent issues on my iPad Pro got it about 6 weeks ago and no issues.

#463511 - 12/20/18 10:21 AM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
My 8 yr old iPad has older system and 16GB about used up. Rather than clean out unused apps, I opted for the latest on sale at Amazon, 9.7, 32GB. Before it arrives, I have to decide what to do with the old one that has my sheet music, MP3s etc. What I have on it works fine, and am tempted to leave it alone and start with some newer music apps on the new. or transfer some.

I don't want to waste the new capacity with redundant data, but wonder if having two will cause confusion with iTunes when it comes to uploading material. What have some of you done?

If you really want to dive into music apps, 32 GB might be not enough...

You can have many apple devices on a single account, and all sync them with the same data..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#463518 - 12/20/18 11:13 AM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Bachus:If you really want to dive into music apps, 32 GB might be not enough

Thanks, Bachus, but I am a newbe who, realistically will not, anywhere near, approach your involvement anytime soon. To go for a 64gb or a Pro would have meant too much money for a pipe dream. If I run out of capacity, that will tell me to get a big boy iPad.

For the time being, I would appreciate some advice along the way. I am thinking of using the new one for new apps, and leaving my old on as is.

#463521 - 12/20/18 11:36 AM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Bachus:If you really want to dive into music apps, 32 GB might be not enough

Thanks, Bachus, but I am a newbe who, realistically will not, anywhere near, approach your involvement anytime soon. To go for a 64gb or a Pro would have meant too much money for a pipe dream. If I run out of capacity, that will tell me to get a big boy iPad.

For the time being, I would appreciate some advice along the way. I am thinking of using the new one for new apps, and leaving my old on as is.

Just throw in the questions, and i will see to answer them..
Starting fresh could be a good idea..

Just make sure you switch software sync off between the 2 devices, or everything you install on the new device will also end up on the old device... by default i believe this is switched on..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#463531 - 12/20/18 01:40 PM Re: Buying new iPad [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

very valuable info, and thanks for the help offer.
Bernie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online