Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#461584 - 11/14/18 10:12 PM Convertiing yamaha styles to korg tutorial
Bachus Offline

I found this video onbthe web with a nice tutorial

I tested it..
Works great for older yamaha styles
But not for styles with mega voice

Its as simple as changing the .sty to a .mid and using the korgs convert midifile to style feature.. this is because the yamaha styles are actually just midi files.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461592 - 11/15/18 02:13 AM Re: Convertiing yamaha styles to korg tutorial [Re: Bachus]
screenshot Offline

Good find bachus...will give it a try..later...just wondering what psr keyboards are pre-mega voice?

#461595 - 11/15/18 03:00 AM Re: Convertiing yamaha styles to korg tutorial [Re: screenshot]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By screenshot
Good find bachus...will give it a try..later...just wondering what psr keyboards are pre-mega voice?

This is probably the best place to read about Yamaha style formats..

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sofc/index.htm

Its fun to see that the Korg midi to style converter just seems to ignore all YAmaha information in the files, and concentrates on the midi content only.. (i would not be surprised if this was pre programmed this way)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461651 - 11/15/18 11:34 AM Re: Convertiing yamaha styles to korg tutorial [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bachus,
Been converting my psr styles as midifiles for years for my various korgs, but of course not using the converter. Haven’t had a chance to look at the video yet, I’ll check back in later.

The earlier psr styles up to the psr 1500 were fairly easy. The mega voices are a pain, but the noises can removed, they are usually on their own midi track. Actually korg has a bit of an equivalent, the rx sounds. Back on my pa 800 , just for the heck of it, I experiment with transposing the sounds to try and match a similar noises ie fret, thumps etc. Got a bit too ridiculous the time spent, but it was interesting.

The markers in psr styles can be changed to suit the korg.
One big difference between korg and Yamaha was the bass and percussion tracks, they were on the opposite midi channels, the rest of them matched the korg.
Used to just change the track from bass 11 psr, to bass 9 korg . Percussion psr 9, to korg percussion 11.

Get back to you later.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#461661 - 11/15/18 12:12 PM Re: Convertiing yamaha styles to korg tutorial [Re: rikkisbears]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bachus,
Just checked the video.

Just out of interest how did you go with the major and minor, intro/endings?

I do mine in a similar fashion, but I do mine on an the old xg works sequencer.

Change all the markers, the bass and percussion channels, fix up the intro / endings, then import it into korg as a single midi file 0.
Then I edit volumes , sounds etc in the korg.

I thought you meant he was using the song to style conversion tool, but must admit I found video a bit hard to follow.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online