SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#461563 - 11/14/18 01:37 PM Roland RD2000
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
It’s on the way to my place.

I’m hoping this keyboard will work for whatever I want to do with 88 weighted keys.

Edited by guitpic1 (11/14/18 01:38 PM)

#461577 - 11/14/18 05:43 PM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Good luck with it. I didn't know it had rhytms. I do know the keybed is excellent. I get my rhythms for my FP90 from the Roland Piano Partner app on my iPad. I.m sure you'll find
the 2000 to be a TOTL instrument.

Edited by Bill Lewis (11/15/18 06:41 AM)

#461581 - 11/14/18 09:12 PM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
It’s on the way to my place.

I’m hoping this keyboard will work for whatever I want to do with 88 weighted keys.

Its an incredible keybed..
Its on top of the world, together with the kaway MP11 and VPC1

If this doesn't work for you, i am lost.
Its also perfect as a controller of an arranger modules
And its by far the best stage piano for controlling mainstage and VST's.

The touch for weighted 88 keys is on the light side, which allows you to also play fast synth and organ parts with some comfort...

There is only a single reason, why i don't own it..
And thats there is no aftertouch.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461600 - 11/15/18 05:03 AM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By Bachus

Bachus, have you ever played (or considered purchasing second-hand) a Yamaha KX-88? I had one years ago, and the action is arguably one of the best feeling 88-note controllers (with aftertouch)....we used it to control a TX-816 rack mount FM synth...the aftertouch was a bit "subtle" and the programming (in hex) was "interesting" but I'm sure a fellow like you who is really hip on keyboards, and likes figuring things out, should catch on pretty quick.

Working with it reminded me of programming the TX...it was a lot like playing chess...planning!

It has its limitations such as only one midi out, but there are workarounds...I believe we used a few MidiSolutions units but it was quite a while ago, so I'm not sure what they were

In my opinion, definitely worth a look if you can get one in exceptional condition.

The Roland A-90 also has a great action (with aftertouch) and is easier to program.

Personally, nowadays, I'd prefer 88 semi-weighted keys with aftertouch...semi-weight would give enough "action" for piano/electric piano pieces, yet work well with organ and synth/strings/brass voices...plus it would give lots of room for zoning.

Know of anything like that?

Ian

#461601 - 11/15/18 05:53 AM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: guitpic1]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - I remember the Yamaha KX and TX ... I had a KX-76 controller, I think it was, and a TX-816 in my rack, many years ago. They were part of my "gigging rig" for a bunch of years back then. Also had a 1-rack-unit little Yamaha mixer, and a Roland D-50 on top of the KX! And a big heavy Yamaha powered mixer ... Ah, the days of early digital . . .

This was back when I didn't even think about weight of stuff; I was in my 30s or so ...

Jim

#461606 - 11/15/18 07:45 AM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By ianmcnll
Originally Posted By Bachus

Bachus, have you ever played (or considered purchasing second-hand) a Yamaha KX-88? I had one years ago, and the action is arguably one of the best feeling 88-note controllers (with aftertouch)....we used it to control a TX-816 rack mount FM synth...the aftertouch was a bit "subtle" and the programming (in hex) was "interesting" but I'm sure a fellow like you who is really hip on keyboards, and likes figuring things out, should catch on pretty quick.

Working with it reminded me of programming the TX...it was a lot like playing chess...planning!

It has its limitations such as only one midi out, but there are workarounds...I believe we used a few MidiSolutions units but it was quite a while ago, so I'm not sure what they were

In my opinion, definitely worth a look if you can get one in exceptional condition.

The Roland A-90 also has a great action (with aftertouch) and is easier to program.

Personally, nowadays, I'd prefer 88 semi-weighted keys with aftertouch...semi-weight would give enough "action" for piano/electric piano pieces, yet work well with organ and synth/strings/brass voices...plus it would give lots of room for zoning.

Know of anything like that?

Ian

Thats 38 years old? The KX-88..
And its just a masterkeyboard..

Personally i am not interested in a plain masterkeyboard
The combination of a stage piano/workstation with an arranger module and a laptop has much much more to offer then a masterkeyboard..

If i would however consider an old masterkeyboard,..
It would be Kurzweils Midiboard.
It was designed by Bob Moog himself
And has a full grandpiano mechanic inside..

#461607 - 11/15/18 07:52 AM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Sometimes players are never totally happy with their gear no mater what it is.Meanwhile life goes on and so does playing & creating music just as good as always.

#461626 - 11/15/18 08:52 AM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Sometimes players are never totally happy with their gear no mater what it is.Meanwhile life goes on and so does playing & creating music just as good as always.

"Out of the mouths of babes" ... wink grin

#461631 - 11/15/18 09:19 AM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By Dnj

You’re right...some folks do change gear quite often.

😊

#461636 - 11/15/18 09:28 AM Re: Roland RD2000 [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Originally Posted By Dnj

You’re right...some folks do change gear quite often.

😊

Not guilty of that the past 2 years been using the same setup..
Which is extremely long for a gearjunky like me..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online