SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#461222 - 11/09/18 04:09 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/HF2eHYYm808[/video]

This is how the younger generation is making music.... vs arrangers...

#461227 - 11/09/18 06:33 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
BradgeMusicTube Offline

They see a keyboard as something they hook up to a computer sadly.
Not saying that it's something THAT bad.. I used my old Tyros as a midi controller because the keybed was fantastic. But on the other side of things i ALSO knew how to use the arranger side of the machine.

One thing bothers me about that video... Why was he using a piano sound while in the original tune you hear a very typical Roland Rock Organ? You can download free General Standard Soundfonts that have that exact sound on there.

#461229 - 11/09/18 07:33 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
The death of TOTL arrangers will come about when performers like Don M are no longer playing them. T he biggist problem is the hundreds of sub par performers who go out and use nothing but the auto features without any variety. Laziness creates the repetive sounds of the same rhythm over and over. How many examples of songs posted here and on other arranger forums where the performer plays a single note melody on one background without changing a thing on the tune. BORING! and a disservice to the kb.

#461230 - 11/09/18 09:36 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
The full piano mode concept would make sense, but it doesn't work. Unless you play super simple stuff and/or help the keyboard to recognize the harmonic content, the result is hardly musical. It's really not a problem for me, as I hardly use the arranger features for live performances. I record the chord progression alone, or just loop it and only then I'm able to play what I want without getting conflicting notes.

There's absolutely no way for any of these keyboards to be able to fully understand the relationship between notes in a phrase and cluster....and then add the sustained notes to the mix.

On Korg forums many have disagreed with me on this over the years, so I have challenged them to show a demo. Either I got a ding dong "Piano" track...they got offended and said they don't need to show anything to prove....or they're too busy and simply disappeared!

Until I see a real person doing this in real time, the FULL piano mode is only ok bordering on useless. I don't blame the keyboards for this at all. Music is much more than a simple math. Harmonic content is not only decided by what is being played already, but also by what comes next. Any given note can be a passing note, or a chord tone depending on the next move and that's just a basic issue. No keyboard can guess that. The human element associated with all this is too complex but that's music.

Edited by SAM CA (11/09/18 09:39 PM)

#461236 - 11/10/18 03:09 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/HF2eHYYm808[/video]

This is how the younger generation is making music.... vs arrangers...

Actually they are trying to copy what we do on arrangers..
They use a lot of loopers..
Its just like creating a style from scratch in real time..
But they are stuck to the preprogrammed chord sequence

As i said, they don’t realize what an arranger chord progression can do for them...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461240 - 11/10/18 05:06 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: SAM CA]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By SAM CA
The full piano mode concept would make sense, but it doesn't work. Unless you play super simple stuff and/or help the keyboard to recognize the harmonic content, the result is hardly musical. It's really not a problem for me, as I hardly use the arranger features for live performances. I record the chord progression alone, or just loop it and only then I'm able to play what I want without getting conflicting notes.

There's absolutely no way for any of these keyboards to be able to fully understand the relationship between notes in a phrase and cluster....and then add the sustained notes to the mix.

On Korg forums many have disagreed with me on this over the years, so I have challenged them to show a demo. Either I got a ding dong "Piano" track...they got offended and said they don't need to show anything to prove....or they're too busy and simply disappeared!

Until I see a real person doing this in real time, the FULL piano mode is only ok bordering on useless. I don't blame the keyboards for this at all. Music is much more than a simple math. Harmonic content is not only decided by what is being played already, but also by what comes next. Any given note can be a passing note, or a chord tone depending on the next move and that's just a basic issue. No keyboard can guess that. The human element associated with all this is too complex but that's music.

I agree. That's why it would seem to me that a program like Band-in-a-box which can analyze and entire song before creating an arrangement, would do a better job than an arranger (with no look-ahead opportunity). I haven't looked at BIAB in a few years but would guess it to be quite sophisticated at this point. Those that would like to see it operate in 'real-time' apparently don't realize that it would lose that (look-ahead) advantage.

I'm not a purist/snob/etc., but I too have been critisized for saying that I never have and probably never would, use an arranger on a professional gig; that, and the fact that an arranger doesn't do well with the type of music I play in clubs (jazz organ trio/quartet). I consider myself a arranger hobbyist and fully acknowledge it's strengths as a GREAT songwritiing tool, a quick way to flesh out a tune, a way to try a tune with different styles, and overall, a fun instrument to play around with....for awhile. With the right type of music and a talented performer, it can also be a viable tool for a OMB, especially if the emphasis is on vocals. However, except for visuals and somewhat more flexibility, the sonic effect would be much the same as a backing track (IMO). In fact, with the likes of song markers, etc., in midi files, most of that 'flexibility' could still be there with the backing tracks.

chas

#461245 - 11/10/18 06:31 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Chas:

I sometimes use a really good Vocalist/Producer who uses BIAB with real authority... coupled with other trade secrets... to demo some of my songs I am incapable of vocalizing properly. Old frogs tend to "croak" and I am an old frog! LOL!

After discovering him and his work... it made me wonder if I would not have made a better decision to explore BIAB and other alternatives to an Arranger. I never perform and songwriting is my primary interest. One thing is certain, the Yamaha PSR-S970 is a really good machine for what I do... but it has bells and whistles I'll never learn to use due to time constraints.

Hint: My wife keeps scheduling me to go to the tailor to have my burial suit altered! LOL!

Regards, ----Dave Rice

#461326 - 11/11/18 05:34 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By guitpic1
One thing I’ve discovered...

Most of my friends who are piano players are used to the left hand playing accompaniment ...bass lines etc.

They struggle playing just chords with the left hand. And with arrangers, styles can only be played if one of the hands maintains some sort of chord pattern.

Hi, that was me when I got my first arranger. My piano playing was pretty limited, left hand arpeggio’s ( Richard Clayderman style). Getting used to the concept of playing chords with the left hand for the arranger , was pretty difficult for me at first. Having to learn about chords was the best thing that could have happened to me. The arpeggios I used to read note for note, took me ages to learn a tune. If only I’d realised an arpeggio was just a broken chord. Learning may have been less difficult.

There is always the full pianist mode on the arranger, something I’ve never gotten the hang of.

i WOULD LOVE A GOOD TUTORIAL ON THIS

To me it allways feels piano mode requires its very own arrangement, you can't just play a piece of piano sheet music and expect a perfect accompaniment..

I would love to see an indepth guide to this,

Hi Bachus, me too. The guy who used to sell me my technics keyboards was amazing. He loved demoing the arranger piano’s . I could have watched him for hours. ( sometimes I think I did ) never quite sunk through what he was doing though. His hands were all over the keyboard, with runs and fills and the accompaniment was following him perfectly.

Only thing that did sink thru was that it needed 3 notes to trigger a chord change, whatever single notes he played in between like the runs and fills, didn’t change the chords.

Needs a totally different sort of arrangement ie split : chord Style vs pianist style mode.

If you ever find a tutorial of some kind, luv to see it.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#461327 - 11/11/18 05:40 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: SAM CA]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By SAM CA

Hi Sam, I’ve seen it done , the guy was brilliant at it.
One thing he did make quite clear, the chord recognition on some brands is not quite up to scratch in full pianist mode. Showed me the difference between the technics and the Yamaha and rolands. The technics handled the chord changes perfectly, the other 2, not as well.

P.s. I’m going back approx 15 to 20 years ago. He also wrote piano tuition books, wish he’d written one on how to play arrangers in pianist mode, or at least written some arrangements .

Edited by rikkisbears (11/11/18 05:45 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#461330 - 11/11/18 06:28 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: rikkisbears]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Sam, I’ve seen it done , the guy was brilliant at it.
One thing he did make quite clear, the chord recognition on some brands is not quite up to scratch in full pianist mode. Showed me the difference between the technics and the Yamaha and rolands. The technics handled the chord changes perfectly, the other 2, not as well.

P.s. I’m going back approx 15 to 20 years ago. He also wrote piano tuition books, wish he’d written one on how to play arrangers in pianist mode, or at least written some arrangements .

Hi Rikki,

I'm sure you can make it work if you change your playing style and limit the harmonic content around the chord recognition system. That's what I meant by helping the keyboard to make the right guesses.

Other than that it's very easy to defeat that, because it's quiet limited.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online