SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#460938 - 11/05/18 08:59 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
I shared this before. At one time I used a VERY active style with a VERY active multipad for our first song.

I would start with EVERYTHING muted and then bring in one by one instrument whilst introducing it's band member by name.

That solved ALL and ANY false impressions. One can do this often during your performance. The crowd loves it and it makes them realize just exactly what it going on.

Heck, with Ketron with the -R styles, you can announce that you are taking a short break and that the band members are taking over on their own. When you play again, you thank them (band members) and clearly state that you are taking over control again.

There are lots of ways to make the crowd aware what is going on and besides, it is great fun too. Instead of telling jokes, do this to break things up a bit inbetween.

Play a chord wrong on purpose, reprimand the "band" and demonstrate the correct chord to the "band" for instance. Anounce the distortion guitar player just before selecting the multipad and call him by name as you activate the pad. The ideas are endless.

We can make the audience aware of exactly what is going on, but ONLY if we choose to do so.

#460952 - 11/05/18 09:43 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Henni, that's called "Entertainment" smile and that's why I refer to myself as an entertainer - not a musician. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#460960 - 11/05/18 10:02 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Henni, that's called "Entertainment" smile and that's why I refer to myself as an entertainer - not a musician. smile

Gary cool

Gary and you surly were a great one buddy and made so many people happy with your music!! clap

#461000 - 11/05/18 04:19 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: guitpic1]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By guitpic1
One thing I’ve discovered...

Most of my friends who are piano players are used to the left hand playing accompaniment ...bass lines etc.

They struggle playing just chords with the left hand. And with arrangers, styles can only be played if one of the hands maintains some sort of chord pattern.

Hi, that was me when I got my first arranger. My piano playing was pretty limited, left hand arpeggio’s ( Richard Clayderman style). Getting used to the concept of playing chords with the left hand for the arranger , was pretty difficult for me at first. Having to learn about chords was the best thing that could have happened to me. The arpeggios I used to read note for note, took me ages to learn a tune. If only I’d realised an arpeggio was just a broken chord. Learning may have been less difficult.

There is always the full pianist mode on the arranger, something I’ve never gotten the hang of.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#461008 - 11/05/18 11:35 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Originally Posted By guitpic1
One thing I’ve discovered...

Most of my friends who are piano players are used to the left hand playing accompaniment ...bass lines etc.

They struggle playing just chords with the left hand. And with arrangers, styles can only be played if one of the hands maintains some sort of chord pattern.

Hi, that was me when I got my first arranger. My piano playing was pretty limited, left hand arpeggio’s ( Richard Clayderman style). Getting used to the concept of playing chords with the left hand for the arranger , was pretty difficult for me at first. Having to learn about chords was the best thing that could have happened to me. The arpeggios I used to read note for note, took me ages to learn a tune. If only I’d realised an arpeggio was just a broken chord. Learning may have been less difficult.

There is always the full pianist mode on the arranger, something I’ve never gotten the hang of.

i WOULD LOVE A GOOD TUTORIAL ON THIS

To me it allways feels piano mode requires its very own arrangement, you can't just play a piece of piano sheet music and expect a perfect accompaniment..

I would love to see an indepth guide to this,

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461014 - 11/06/18 04:58 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, 'piano mode' doesn't make much sense to me on an arranger unless you're just playing piano. Most piano players don't play arrangers and most arranger players don't play piano. So who uses it?

chas

#461016 - 11/06/18 05:09 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Yeah, 'piano mode' doesn't make much sense to me on an arranger unless you're just playing piano. Most piano players don't play arrangers and most arranger players don't play piano. So who uses it?

chas

ME!!!!

Piano mode is the best method to follow what the piano player is playing..
Piano players do not have to re think what they are doing.. the arranger does a good job at following them..

Roland has a great design.. not only 3 or more notes to change a chord recognition, but 5 or more when using a sustain pedal.

#461126 - 11/08/18 08:51 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Gear News source...."Genos: Yamaha’s next generation digital workstation keyboard
02 Oct 2017 · Be a musical magician at any party with this ultimate automatic music making machine from Yamaha. Genos will inspire and intensify your musical creation and performance."

Musical magician?

Ultimate automatic music making machine?

And then you wonder why arrangers are misunderstood with statements like this? surprised

https://www.gearnews.com/manufacturer/yamaha/

#461143 - 11/08/18 11:35 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Dnj

Ultimate automatic music making machine?

And then you wonder why arrangers are misunderstood with statements like this? surprised

Donny, if we remove the first word, and keep 'automatic music making machine' it's pretty close.
Only press a button or more and it plays mp3, midi and whatever.
You can even connect a mic and perform karaoke.
Hey, then it's pretty close to 'ultimate' again..... wink
sofa

#461148 - 11/08/18 12:40 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I'm afraid it is too late to change the akb perception... Sad

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online