SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#460824 - 11/04/18 08:15 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By guitpic1
One thing I’ve discovered...

Most of my friends who are piano players are used to the left hand playing accompaniment ...bass lines etc.

They struggle playing just chords with the left hand. And with arrangers, styles can only be played if one of the hands maintains some sort of chord pattern.

I probably didn’t say this so well.

It’s not easy for me to get a seasoned keyboard player interested in arrangers.

Case in point. Two friends both play keyboard in bands. I demo’d some styles for them from Genos. They were impressed and said they would use arranger styles except for the fact that they both played bass lines with the left hand and leads/fills with the right hand.

One of them tried my Genos playing a simple bass left hand. Every time he hit a different bass note, the chord changed....didn’t work. There may be a work around but I haven’t found it.

Guess my point is that arrangers(at least in my limited experience) are played much differently than other electric keyboards....or am I missing something here?

Edited by guitpic1 (11/04/18 08:16 AM)

#460826 - 11/04/18 08:23 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Also remember before the 80s many pro musicians that are still here never even new about arranger keyboards and played music in a different way using multiple keyboards on stage the change over to automatic style while you're playing is very different sometimes horses can't learn and tricks...

#460827 - 11/04/18 08:24 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

cool2

Edited by Dnj (11/04/18 08:25 AM)

#460829 - 11/04/18 08:30 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

This said, I have sold three arrangers to guitar playing friends who wanted to try a keyboard.

The way I approached it was that I taught them to use their left hands to play chords on their arrangers. Their right hands could do leads, chords, fills etc.

This made sense to my guitar playing friends as they used their left hands for chords on guitar. They just had to learn to form chords in a different manner on the arranger than they did on guitar.

Edited by guitpic1 (11/04/18 08:31 AM)

#460846 - 11/04/18 11:14 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
[quote=guitpic1]One thing I’ve discovered...

One of them tried my Genos playing a simple bass left hand. Every time he hit a different bass note, the chord changed....didn’t work. There may be a work around but I haven’t found it.

Guess my point is that arrangers(at least in my limited experience) are played much differently than other electric keyboards....or am I missing something here?

Wrong fingering mode.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#460847 - 11/04/18 11:19 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: guitpic1]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Most of my friends who are piano players are used to the left hand playing accompaniment ...bass lines etc.

They struggle playing just chords with the left hand. And with arrangers, styles can only be played if one of the hands maintains some sort of chord pattern.

Case in point. Two friends both play keyboard in bands. I demo’d some styles for them from Genos. They were impressed and said they would use arranger styles except for the fact that they both played bass lines with the left hand and leads/fills with the right hand.

You need to set the correct recognition.. Right side of split and piano mode (3 or more notes to change chord).. Now you can play left hand bass without chord changes, even right hand fills, but if you play 3 or more notes the chord recognition will change the style play.. Don't forget to mute the auto bass part..

#460848 - 11/04/18 12:05 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Fran Carango]
guitpic1 Offline

I’ll give it a try.

#460853 - 11/04/18 12:34 PM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

You need to set the correct recognition.. Right side of split and piano mode (3 or more notes to change chord).. Now you can play left hand bass without chord changes, even right hand fills, but if you play 3 or more notes the chord recognition will change the style play.. Don't forget to mute the auto bass part..

Ditto

#460897 - 11/05/18 12:44 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: Dnj]
BradgeMusicTube Offline

I'm an arranger player myself and i used to be friends with a man who didn't understand how the fingering with the left hand worked and who also thought it was cheating because you're "Not doing anything"

He was like, you're playing chords but the machine is doing the rest, you're basically only playing with your right hand. And that of course is completely untrue.

There are people who think that an arranger isn't a real instrument because of this, and i find that sad. I ALSO find it sad that there aren't more people my age playing the arranger because they think it's for old people...

Went to the Genos demonstration last year and well yes i saw lots of grey hairs there but they were very enthousiastic for the machine, showed lots of love for it, and i think that's what matters most. I'm probably unique in the sense that i'm young ánd playing keyboards ánd not using it as a controller for FL Studio or something but i'm NOT unique in the sense that i LOVE making music, and that shouldn't matter if you're 15 or 85.

And that's why i think the arranger is misunderstood, the majority of the people that i talk to think that it's not a real instrument, like.. Sure, you can play the piano on it, but it doesn't have 88 keys. And as soon as you turn on the arranger, they see you as a fraud.. And if you use it as a controller for FL Studio or Cubase or something another they see you as "Just button pusher"

And of course the famous "My son has got one just like that" when for example a mother has a soon with a Casio CTK-471 and you're at home with a Technics KN-5000

#460908 - 11/05/18 06:12 AM Re: Are Arranger Keyboards Misunderstood? [Re: BradgeMusicTube]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By BradgeMusicTube
I'm an arranger player myself and i used to be friends with a man who didn't understand how the fingering with the left hand worked and who also thought it was cheating because you're "Not doing anything"

He was like, you're playing chords but the machine is doing the rest, you're basically only playing with your right hand. And that of course is completely untrue.

There are people who think that an arranger isn't a real instrument because of this, and i find that sad. I ALSO find it sad that there aren't more people my age playing the arranger because they think it's for old people...

Went to the Genos demonstration last year and well yes i saw lots of grey hairs there but they were very enthousiastic for the machine, showed lots of love for it, and i think that's what matters most. I'm probably unique in the sense that i'm young ánd playing keyboards ánd not using it as a controller for FL Studio or something but i'm NOT unique in the sense that i LOVE making music, and that shouldn't matter if you're 15 or 85.

And that's why i think the arranger is misunderstood, the majority of the people that i talk to think that it's not a real instrument, like.. Sure, you can play the piano on it, but it doesn't have 88 keys. And as soon as you turn on the arranger, they see you as a fraud.. And if you use it as a controller for FL Studio or Cubase or something another they see you as "Just button pusher"

And of course the famous "My son has got one just like that" when for example a mother has a soon with a Casio CTK-471 and you're at home with a Technics KN-5000

All very true points well said, .....and don't forget the many pro & amateurs alike just see the "repetitiveness of an automated backing machine" as being a non creative musician but merely someone who just is an operator of the device known as an "Arranger keyboard" vs someone who writes and creates music track by track making musical arrangements their own which in their eyes is way more legit cool2 ..but when the smoke quits people just consider an arranger keyboard an extension of the old wooden organs with auto styles & drum beats in a cheaper box you can buy in any big box store Casio leading the bunch!. Arranger Kbs definitely have been tagged with a bad reputation that only a small handful of players really know anything about let along how to really play them properly, and I am afraid too many years have gone by to educate the masses & lack luster advertising and promotion hasn't helped when people in a music stores challenged by internet sales, that lacks the different Models to demo and lacks the under uneducated sales staff that has no clue about them either to show people what they are all about. So actually it's all our fault and we are all responsible for what we have left here just a few companies producing the few Arranger keyboards as time just passes by after all to them it is all about making money and profits,..........meanwhile the younger generation and the music industry itself is being made by musicians in so many "other ways" with so many other devices that I am afraid the lonely arranger keyboard no matter how great we think it is because we know all about it's powers can never recover and will remain a novelty to the world and enjoyment to the lucky few in their bedrooms, etc,who understand what an Arranger Keyboard & all it's attributes can actually do!.....
That said when is GENOS 2 coming out Winter NAMM 2019 is only a few months away????
I am sick of talking about old peoples ailments

coffee

Edited by Dnj (11/05/18 06:20 AM)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online