SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#455044 - 07/21/18 02:00 AM Styles Quallity
Bachus Offline

After playing with the Genos again, i have come to the conclusion, that the Genos currently has its nose in Front of Korg and Ketron where it comes to Quallity. And even further where it comes to diversity of user and songspecific styles.

Where in my book Yamaha and Roland where slightly trailing Korg and espescially Ketron, Currently the Genos has its nose at the front, slightly leading out before Ketron. The Genos made a huge step forward where it comes to Drums, Bass and Guitars. Espescially when you use my filosophy less is more (muting some of the tracks) then Yamaha Genos gives the same live feel i love from Korg and Ketron.

To me Roland is currently death in the water, not going anywhere since the G70 where it comes to the arranger part.

Casio, Wersi and Böhm are trailing wide behind for several different reasons. And then there is Dexibell with their promissing audio styles on ipad, but after a few years there still is only a handfull styles.

So are we all in concensus that Genos styles are at least on par with Ketron and Korg?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#455045 - 07/21/18 03:40 AM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I wouldn't question the accuracy of your opinion, which, in your case, probably is more than subjective. If we are to take this as fact, it still leaves other area, such as navigation, which is of paramount importance for the gigging musician. As far as features are concerned, we all have different priorities, like midi to style conversion, which is found on my Pa4x and not on the Genos. The list goes on in favor of both boards and is a matter of taste.

Having said that, I think the Genos is a vast improvement over an already top instrument, but at what cost, in terms of money and playability.

#455059 - 07/21/18 06:46 AM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I wouldn't question the accuracy of your opinion, which, in your case, probably is more than subjective. If we are to take this as fact, it still leaves other area, such as navigation, which is of paramount importance for the gigging musician. As far as features are concerned, we all have different priorities, like midi to style conversion, which is found on my Pa4x and not on the Genos. The list goes on in favor of both boards and is a matter of taste.

Having said that, I think the Genos is a vast improvement over an already top instrument, but at what cost, in terms of money and playability.

ditto Bernie NAVIGATION IS KING!....and also let's throw in player talents which makes ALL the difference no matter what Kb you play old or new,..everything that is available today will be a thing of the past in a few short years as technology speeds by as it should.

Edited by Dnj (07/21/18 07:14 AM)

#455063 - 07/21/18 07:42 AM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You can’t really compare Bohm & Wersi to Yamaha as Bohm & Wersi are Organ first with arranger capability’s, whereas the Yamaha is Arranger first with organ sounds available, the style requirements for organ play and arranger play are different, this is why Bohm and Wersi allow you to load in Yamaha styles so that it makes it easier for arranger players to transition to organ play. (In an arranger styles are paramount, whereas in an organ they are way down the list, hence when you listen to organ players they mainly use just drums and vamp chords)

Bill

#455088 - 07/21/18 02:20 PM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
You can’t really compare Bohm & Wersi to Yamaha as Bohm & Wersi are Organ first with arranger capability’s, whereas the Yamaha is Arranger first with organ sounds available, the style requirements for organ play and arranger play are different, this is why Bohm and Wersi allow you to load in Yamaha styles so that it makes it easier for arranger players to transition to organ play. (In an arranger styles are paramount, whereas in an organ they are way down the list, hence when you listen to organ players they mainly use just drums and vamp chords)

Bill

Styles are styles...

And at 23.000 or more, one should expect better or equall styles then on a 4.000 euro instrument..

But thats just my opinion...

The topic is specifically style quallity, not ease of use.. or controll interface..
And when i compare all these styles..
Genos is on top where it comes to style quallity..
And is ages ahead where it comes to (song)style availabillity and diversity..

Now, i will not buy a Genos, as my pa4x is still a great instrument, and my next arranger will either be an 88 key weighted one or a module one..

Edited by Bachus (07/21/18 02:22 PM)

#455092 - 07/21/18 02:37 PM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: Bachus]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Do the styles really make you better musician?

#455094 - 07/21/18 03:19 PM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: MusicalMemories]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By MusicalMemories

Not a better musician, but they inspire me to play better wink

#455095 - 07/21/18 11:23 PM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: Eric, B]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Eric, B

Not a better musician, but they inspire me to play better wink

+1

keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#455097 - 07/21/18 11:33 PM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: MusicalMemories]
Bachus Offline

If you play with styles (I don't allways)
Then the Style is about 60-70 % of the performance
So yes, when playing with styles, a good style makes you sound better.
And as Eric and Gunar say, good styles inspire..

But does it make you a better musician?
Well, i think better style quality makes the crowd believe you are a better musician. Unless you play without styles or midi files, just piano or organ. People might recognize the musician in you better. But that was not the question.

So yes, i think styles quality really matters.

#455103 - 07/22/18 06:52 AM Re: Styles Quallity [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By abacus

Bill

Styles are styles...

And at 23.000 or more, one should expect better or equall styles then on a 4.000 euro instrument..

But thats just my opinion...

The topic is specifically style quallity, not ease of use.. or controll interface..
And when i compare all these styles..
Genos is on top where it comes to style quallity..
And is ages ahead where it comes to (song)style availabillity and diversity..

Now, i will not buy a Genos, as my pa4x is still a great instrument, and my next arranger will either be an 88 key weighted one or a module one..

Yes, but as you have pointed out, there are different types of styles and the type of styles you need when playing an organ are different to the styles needed when you play an arranger. As the Bohm & Wersi are organ first and arranger second, the styles have to be designed for organ style playing.
If you load in an arranger style into an organ and play the organ as it is supposed to be played, then the arranger style will sound very poor in comparison to a style designed for organ play, as it will be receiving inputs and variations (Organ play is different to arranger play) that it will not be able to deal with.
If you load a style designed for organ play into an arranger, they suck, if you load an arranger style into an organ and play organ style, they also suck.
Regarding arranger keyboards, I’d still just take the Korg styles over the Yamaha styles, however going back a few years I always found Roland styles ruled the roost. (How times change)

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online