SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#454783 - 07/16/18 12:44 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Be aware that neither displays text files, only midi lyrics. It was another deal breaker for me.

#454784 - 07/16/18 01:24 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Let's face it no arranger keyboard has everything everybody needs, some of them come close but nothing has it all,... the one good thing among many is that Roland's sounds are unmistakably fantastic, and legendary, Also the personal "workaround toleration" is another big factor,.... if you really have to read lyrics use a laptop or tablet,... you're playing talent makes all the difference no matter which keyboard you use,..

carry on....

Edited by Dnj (07/16/18 01:47 PM)

#454785 - 07/16/18 01:27 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Be aware that neither displays text files, only midi lyrics. It was another deal breaker for me.

Thoase screens are too small for lyrics for us old guys and you'd have to be looking up and down constantly while playing. Ipad mounted above the keyboard is the way to go. I think Roland left the touch screen and lyrics function out to keep cost down and they seem to be moving in a direction of incorporating the ipad more with their instruments. Makes a lot of sense.

#454786 - 07/16/18 01:29 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Don when you had the BK9, you could have taken pics of your text files... it would have shown the text via jpeg out of the video output..

I also entered lyrics in my MP3 files and they displayed with no problems on the EA7.

Edited by Fran Carango (07/16/18 01:34 PM)

#454787 - 07/16/18 01:32 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

Thoase screens are too small for lyrics for us old guys and you'd have to be looking up and down constantly while playing. Ipad mounted above the keyboard is the way to go. I think Roland left the touch screen and lyrics function out to keep cost down and they seem to be moving in a direction of incorporating the ipad more with their instruments. Makes a lot of sense.

The EA7 had an enlarge lyric tab... even you old guys could read it.. grin

#454789 - 07/16/18 02:23 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do have lyrics on laptop but seldom use them. On the occasions when I do need them, I don't want the audience to see me looking at the laptop anyway. My PA4X has a nice large display where I can pull up any needed text either manually or by Songbook. Scrolling is assigned to both a button and a foot switch, whichever happens to be most convenient at the time.
I have at least 4,000 text files and a large part of my income is derived from doing requests. Text display is essential for me, but I understand not everyone cares about this, so use whatever is best suited for YOU. smile

#454791 - 07/16/18 02:51 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

I do have lyrics on laptop but seldom use them. On the occasions when I do need them, I don't want the audience to see me looking at the laptop anyway. My PA4X has a nice large display where I can pull up any needed text either manually or by Songbook. Scrolling is assigned to both a button and a foot switch, whichever happens to be most convenient at the time.
I have at least 4,000 text files and a large part of my income is derived from doing requests. Text display is essential for me, but I understand not everyone cares about this, so use whatever is best suited for YOU. smile

I understand...I was suggesting an alternative for the BK9.. I also rather not have any display or monitor that the audience can see.. I also prefer to sing to SMF's... so I have no need for text files.. Also the lyrics added to my MP3's (my old band for example) and real backing vocals.. works well on the EA7 and BK9... again no visible monitor and no dead time..

Nothing wrong with what works for you, and I would take advantage of text files..... if I thought I needed them..

PS. I also like to use SMF's to read chord changes... The Roland boards show them a measure ahead.. Very useful.

One of the reasons you don't find any Korg's in my stable.. smile

#454793 - 07/16/18 03:00 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I love my E-A7 and it could be the perfect arranger for me if it has break-fill function and vocal harmonizer.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#454798 - 07/16/18 04:06 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: synerjim]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By synerjim
I love my E-A7 and it could be the perfect arranger for me if it has break-fill function and vocal harmonizer.

E-A7 is a great board for sure. I didn't like the small screens or the lack of harmony. When I got my PA900 I also found that I liked the keybed better than the E-A7. Where the E-A7 shines is the operating system IMO. Get everything setup the way you want it, use the sliders to fine tune, and hit "WRITE." Has to be the genius feature of all time. No doubt Korg's Songbook will probably do more overall, but you have to love the Roland ease of use.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online