SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#454669 - 07/14/18 08:21 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I have a sound module that has the fullest orchestral strings I ever heard. It was made in 1993, is the last of 3 models, that had keyboard versions as well, all with touch screens...

#454671 - 07/14/18 09:05 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
[quote=cgiles]I went to the Smithsonian Museum the other week. When I asked to see their ancient instruments exhibit they gave me directions to Fran's house. I heard one of his keyboards is powered by a key tied to a kite. But enough about the G70.....

chas

Chas
I know your kidding but too many of us get hooked into the latest is the greatest syndrome.

Bill, yes I AM kidding (and Fran knows it), but you're preaching to the choir. MY latest/greatest arrangers are a Tyros II and a PA1x pro. My latest (and only recent) keyboard is a Crumar SEVEN and that's only because I wanted a dedicated, authentic sounding, 'Rhodes', without the hassle of maintaining a real Rhodes (same reason I own a premium clonewheel instead of a real 'B3').

At this stage of my life and with declining heath and declining interest in the TECHNOLOGY of music creation, I would not invest TOTL-type cash for anything other than (WHAT I CONSIDER) a 'real' instrument impervious to obsolescence via technological advances.

The truth is, despite all of the technological advances in styles, authenticity of sounds, SUPER-features, weight management, reliability, etc., etc., an arranger (played in auto-accomp mode) still sounds like an arranger TO ME. Ignoring individual circumstances, but in the larger music and entertainment world, arrangers are held in low regard and not considered a 'legitimate' instrument by most TRUE PROFESSIONALS, which is why you rarely, if ever, see them in use in professional venues ie. TV, concerts, high-end clubs, or even in the homes of the 'rich and famous'. Sure, someone will pull out some isolated example, but we know in our hearts that that is not the norm. Despite that, I still think arrangers have a place in modern music. Songwriting, OMB's, pre-production mock-ups, home entertainment for the semi-serious amateur, come to mind. But, you're unlikely to see one at Carnegie Hall or featured on a hit album.

So, to Bill's point, I fully agree...and applaud the fact that some like Fran, have an instrument that they like and see no need to upgrade until something comes along that they deem warrants a change (notice, I didn't say 'upgrade', I said 'change'). But to those who truly enjoy the challenge of learning new technology or just like the 'smell of new', I say, more power to you. For those motivated by the hope that newer technology is going to make them a better musician, I say, sorry, that ain't gonna happen.

chas

#454672 - 07/14/18 09:09 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: sparky589]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Fran

I hope that my double laughing icons did not offend you.... I found that comment quite funny when I read it.

I had a chance to get a G70 from "Cassp" across the river in Detroit... I am still kicking myself for not buying it. It may be old but I still remember playing it years ago ..

Ron

Edited by rphillipchuk (07/14/18 09:11 AM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#454674 - 07/14/18 10:00 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is a video that the demonstrator shows fairly,, unlike several of comparison videos that try to show off the Yamaha and Korg offerings.. grin

#454675 - 07/14/18 10:12 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chas, I understand that arranger keyboards are plentiful and quite well respected in Europe and other places.
The "pros" who are sitting in my audience wanting my job have no idea what I'm doing. They mostly assume I am doing what they would do in a similar venue, playing along with sequences or karaoke. One guy, who did studio work in Nashville for 25 years, works around town with a vintage Les Paul, AND A CELL PHONE. smile
I have a number of friends, who in their younger days, and some so not younger days, toured with nationally-known stars. They don't disrespect what I do. The sad part is that I can hire any of them for $50. a night. I wouldn't do that but I have done a lot of it for $100. and they are really happy to get it. I'll drop one name, James Burton, who loves to come sit in with me. Of course he doesn't need my money and would be insulted if it were offered.
The wealthy who can afford to be jazz players have my complete respect, but I feel I have theirs as well, if they see me in person. They can tell that I'm playing the keyboard pretty well, despite having to accompany myself in real time with left hand chords.
Just another point of view my good friend! smile

#454680 - 07/14/18 12:46 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Don, no one disrespects you or any other QUALITY performer, no matter what their choice of instruments. In fact, I even said that I thought the OMB format was one of the VERY appropriate cases for using an arranger keyboard. But the bottom line is that it's nobody's business but the performers what instrument he or she chooses to accompany themselves with; after all, it's their livelihood and they should choose whatever gives them a leg up in the marketplace (as well as personal satisfaction). I had no intention of making anyone feel defensive about using an arranger; I was only trying to explain my own CURRENT decision-making process in choosing more 'traditional' instruments over the ever-changing model that defines practically everything driven by technology.

On a personal level, I prefer to listen to a GOOD solo piano or guitar with vocals than arranger and vocals, but that's just my personal preference. With a piano or guitar, what you see is what you get, and you know that a certain level of skill is involved. There COULD be a reason that some of your very talented friends never gravitated towards an arranger and would rather take $50.00 from you and be able to play their chosen instrument (even though it may have failed them financially).

Truth is, I don't think our 'point(S) of view' are that different. One place we DO disagree though is, I don't think most jazz players play jazz because they're wealthy, but because they love the music (and the challenge of playing it).

Glad to see your health improving (to the point of playing golf) in such a relatively short period of time. I know you went through a rough patch but maybe it was worth it if it leads to a healthier lifestyle that keeps you 'in the game' a little bit longer. Take care.

chas

#454681 - 07/14/18 01:12 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
OT to Chas

I know your a Hammond guy and assumed you had the real deal in your studio. What clone did you choose ? If I were going to have a double keyboard/bass pedal organ again I would definatly go with one of the clones out there. They sound so good and are very versatile.
BTW nice choice on the SEVEN. Everything I've read or heard about it is thumbs up.

#454682 - 07/14/18 01:37 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

I have the KeyB Duo MK111 which is the ergonomically almost an exact copy of a B3. It's essentially the same as the Viscount Legend. I couldn't find enough differences to make me want to upgrade so I suspect this will be my last organ. I've been living with the PK7a bass pedals but will probably replace them at some point with the 25 pedal Legend set.

The Seven is great but the 'acoustic' piano isn't good enough to stop me from lusting for something of the quality of your FP90 smile. I have an acoustic grand up in the living room but when I downsize (which I must...soon), I'll be looking for a nice stage piano to complete the 'big three' (B3, Rhodes, AP).

chas

#454684 - 07/14/18 02:14 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hey Chas, it was part dig, but now it reads a little harsh. I know the real reason people play and like jazz. Actually I'm one of them, although my jazz playing is elementary, I still like it.
When I was in college I would go to a jazz club on special occasions. It was the Rubiot in Tulsa--so cool. I still have a record that the house band recorded and sold on site. Sonny and Susan Grey were the owners/musicians. She could flat out sing! They had a B3 guy and a trumpet guy, and those were my instruments at the time.
http://www.tulsatvmemories.com/rubiot.html
Went there the night of my first marriage to celebrate!
I also got to the Dave Brubeck Five while in college. Take Five has never been a favorite of mine, but the rest of the show was fantastic. At least there was a long drum solo in Take Five that night!

#454686 - 07/14/18 02:41 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Boy, we've really taken poor Fran's post SOUTH....BUT, you just had to mention 'Take Five' smile. I can't really say that I dislike it but I CAN say that I was never able to get comfortable with it (or anything else in 5/4). I've tried for years to feel a 5/4 'groove' but so far, no luck. I've (painfully) learned to play it by rote but if I lose my concentration for even a second, DISASTER! I do, however, love Paul Desmond's beautiful sax and give him credit for writing something 'outside the lines'. BTW, that's how I know I suck as a musician because a good musician should be able to handle an odd meter with no problem. 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, no problem; 5/4, YIKES!.

chas

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online