SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#436070 - 08/16/17 09:19 AM Need some help
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I am looking at doing a Piano gig form time to time and I have been doing the one man band gig for some time so what I am needing help with is

I need a music reader and content charts with chords and lyrics

I would invest in a unit I have a old I pad 2 but screen is broken a bit and a I pad mini prob too small

so sugestion on this

also if anybody has charts with lyrics old and new stuff i WOULD LOVE TO get some of these

now getting it into to a format is a challange for me so any help with this would be greatly appricated

would love to have a electronic data base i really do not want to carry music books around the I pad would serv as a referance for me in the performance

I know there are prob many of you doing this and if someone could help me that would be great

on a side note I got to get as much work as I can my wife is very sick with MS and also has a cyst in her back that might require sergery and 3 kids at home it a bit tuff for all of us so I am putting my self out there for any music work I can find the expence of all of this is going to be big so i going to do what I know best is get out there as much as I can

still doing my other act but want to get pre paied if call come for Piano bar type of gig

thank you

Ron

#436080 - 08/16/17 10:32 AM Re: Need some help [Re: musicforyourday]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Ron,
I have been using the Ipad Pro - the large one for about 4 or 5 years. Bought it the week it came out. I use it to display leadsheets. I now have over 4000 leadsheets on it. There are many websites that offer lyrics for download - some free. Some contain chords.

On my Ipad pro I use two apps for leadsheet display.
One is GoodReader. One is UnrealBook. I like both for different reasons.
Each gets regular free updates. I have used these for probably 8 years now. Others are out there but I have no experience with them. Also, each cost me only $4.00.

For my Ipad Pro I use the GigEasy Universal Mount and highly recommend it. Just google GigEasy.

Feel free to email or PM if you have other questions about my post. Also, the Ipad Pro is not cheap but is money well spent in my opinion. Also, it is a tax deduction for you music business.

Deane

#436081 - 08/16/17 11:06 AM Re: Need some help [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

The ipad pro 12.9 is incredible as a music reader...

But if you only use it as a music reader thats a hell of a lot of money.. but the size differnce with a 10’” is huge and a treat for older eyes...

There are no 12” + android tablets, but as a musicreader only, an android tablet would work just as well... but the size difference is so huge...

However, if you would use the ipad as a music creation tool on top of as a sheatreader, or as a laptop substitute, it is definately worth every dime you invest in it.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#436083 - 08/16/17 11:37 AM Re: Need some help [Re: musicforyourday]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Here is a thread I posted awhile back. The price has a typo. It is $127.

Several members followed the advise and are quite pleased with the Tablet and program.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread...ader#Post429258

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (08/16/17 11:37 AM)

#436084 - 08/16/17 11:47 AM Re: Need some help [Re: musicforyourday]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use a laptop. You can use Word or a free word processor. I like that you can categorize by artist, name, genre, recent...about anything you want.
You can get any size and pay about anything you like, but word processors take very little power. All I use mine for is to display lyric charts, play MP3s on breaks, maybe search the internet occasionally. You can also display PDFs of course. You can zoom the lyric size, etc., very flexible.
Mine is powered by USB so no big power transformer.
You can get one with solid state memory for under $200.! If you need extra memory USB sticks are very inexpensive.

#436085 - 08/16/17 11:53 AM Re: Need some help [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Why not just just use an inexpensive netbook PC? You can download all the stuff you need, open it in several great programs that you can get for free. You can purchase a refurbished netbook, which is not any larger than some of the tablets I've seen lately, for as little as $50. I've been using a 9-inch Acer Aspire netbook PC for a decade, never had a single problem with it, and the view is HD from nearly any angle.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#436089 - 08/16/17 12:34 PM Re: Need some help [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

after all these years you can always memorize the songs and lyrics and save a ton of money keys

just sayin' coffee

#436090 - 08/16/17 12:47 PM Re: Need some help [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
after all these years you can always memorize the songs and lyrics and save a ton of money keys
just sayin' coffee

Unfortunately, not EVERYONE can ...

#436093 - 08/16/17 12:56 PM Re: Need some help [Re: musicforyourday]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My guess..... you are not memorizing the songs, but fake your way through the tune, especially if you are also a singer..

Sure maybe you can remember a hundred songs, maybe a bit more.. but if you take request, a couple hundred songs won't cover it.

Now most pros can work their way through a song, by ear with standard chord changes..

If you are really good at memorizing songs... you will remember the original key and real chord changes...not three chords grin

I would challenge anyone that thinks they memorized more than a hundred songs... I am talking about melody, chords all in the original keys..

At one time ... using fake books , I remembered maybe 300 songs...all standards.. Repeated performing is the key..

I do believe I had a photographic mind years ago.. I could remember the location in the fake books, even page numbers...

Even today, I play standards in the original keys.. Habits are hard to break smile

#436094 - 08/16/17 01:49 PM Re: Need some help [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran, I agree, I know hundreds of entertainers and not a single one of them can remember the chord changes and lyrics to more than a couple dozen songs at best. Like me, they rely on their netbook PCs and laptops to perform their songs, and most have about 300 songs at most in their PCs to draw from for requests. I put all of mine in MS Word and stored them in a folder, which automatically alphabetizes them so it's just a matter of typing the first letter of the song title to get to that category, then using my hidden, wireless mouse, scrolling down to the song title, double click it, and it's instantly on the screen. Some time ago, I posted my entire lyrics folder on the site so others could download it. To date, I has been downloaded 587 times from this site.

Now, if I wanted to get really fancy, I could have went with a foot pedal connected to the USB of the PC and used to to scroll, but I never needed to go that far. I think the program was free with the pedal which sold for about $29 online.

AS for the photographic mind, Carol told me the mind was the second thing to go - I can't remember what the first was. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (08/16/17 01:51 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online