SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#433840 - 07/03/17 11:11 PM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: Bachus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Are you kidding me? Who’s got the time to learn all these operating systems, and drum patterns, and orchestration, and heaven knows what else and, then try and keep up with the non-musical necessities. Heck, I‘m still trying to lean Windows 10, my GPS, my answering machine, how to turn on the windshield wipers on my car and.......Spanish.

Maybe if you’re 20 years old, topped off with testosterone, living with Mom & Dad, have no personal responsibilities, have no day job and made just one machine a priority for six months at a time.......then there’s a chance.

Then there’s the “robot factor“ again. No machine will ever come near to the interpretation of music like a full symphony orchestra does, or someone like Stephane Grapelli does with his violin. And no machine will ever recreate the many musical nuances in a Strauss waltz to make it sound like a Strauss waltz.

But, unfortunately Donny’s right.......this is where music is going. As Mr. Tr*** would tweet: “sad, very sad.”

Here are some pics of the last surviving live musicians in my area. Their next step is probably the Elephant’s Graveyard. I took them at a large car show with the DJ playing between sets. But even the DJ looks like he can’t figure out his own equipment!

Do you think maybe learning a Maschine would give them some enthusiasm.....or.....help them take the final plunge into the Musician Graveyard?

Attachments
musicians at car show 1.jpg

musicians at car show 2.jpg

disc jockey at car show.jpg

#433844 - 07/04/17 12:44 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Are you kidding me? Who’s got the time to learn all these operating systems, and drum patterns, and orchestration, and heaven knows what else and, then try and keep up with the non-musical necessities. Heck, I‘m still trying to lean Windows 10, my GPS, my answering machine, how to turn on the windshield wipers on my car and.......Spanish.

Maybe if you’re 20 years old, topped off with testosterone, living with Mom & Dad, have no personal responsibilities, have no day job and made just one machine a priority for six months at a time.......then there’s a chance.

Then there’s the “robot factor“ again. No machine will ever come near to the interpretation of music like a full symphony orchestra does, or someone like Stephane Grapelli does with his violin. And no machine will ever recreate the many musical nuances in a Strauss waltz to make it sound like a Strauss waltz.

But, unfortunately Donny’s right.......this is where music is going. As Mr. Tr*** would tweet: “sad, very sad.”

Here are some pics of the last surviving live musicians in my area. Their next step is probably the Elephant’s Graveyard. I took them at a large car show with the DJ playing between sets. But even the DJ looks like he can’t figure out his own equipment!

Do you think maybe learning a Maschine would give them some enthusiasm.....or.....help them take the final plunge into the Musician Graveyard?

99.9% of arrangers are bought by home hobby players and adding these features in full would scare 99% of them off, however, if released over time they would slot in no problem. (We oldies aren’t going to be around forever)

Any youngster these days would pick these features up as quickly as they do a new app, (Mascine is also available as an app) it’s just some of us old fogies that have a problem.

Like all technology if you let it control you, then it will sound robotic, however, if you have talent then the world is you oyster? (Plus the way AI is progressing these days even the machine (Robotic) sound will soon disappear)

Remember when anything new comes out (Whether it is technology or culture) a lot of the old resist, but most of the young embrace, thus technology and culture moves forward.

For a lot of people the above is frightening (Humans have always been resistant to change) but if we are to survive, then it has to be embraced.

NOTE: not everything has been good (Hence a lot has disappeared without trace) but those that have stayed the distance eventually become the norm.

Bill

#433846 - 07/04/17 12:53 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: abacus]
deb Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hmm ,

I have the PA4X and installed the new Operating System .
The KAOS is very nice , I am happy with this new feature .

My age is 70 , I like trying new things in music .

Even Symphonie Orchestra's try out new things .

#433847 - 07/04/17 12:55 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
When human beings start perfecting something there is usually nothing left of the original.

I am part of that perfection; as good as my dad’s band was mine had more life, it was more up-to-date. So better is in the eyes of progress in perfection. But my Dad was five times more of a musician.

John C.
PS, Donny is right to open his mind to what is coming. That’s where we are. But I am finding it hard to embrace it.

#433852 - 07/04/17 06:07 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in....
being ignorant in music creation is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. open your minds and embrace the future..

cool2

Edited by Dnj (07/04/17 06:08 AM)

#433858 - 07/04/17 07:06 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The new OS has improved the midi-to-style function! It takes only a few seconds to convert and save a style automatically from a midi file, and they seem to come out even better than before. The ones I've tried sound very good with no tweaking, but if you change the drums and/or style sounds from GM to Factory they sound even better. It automatically makes Keysets (OTS), intros, endings and in some cases solos!
The new German Piano and Italian Pianos sound great, even though I didn't have a problem with the old ones.
There's a lot to digest in the update, but so far it's all been good.
Someone found a small bug sequence player. It seems if you have two songs loaded, play the first one, then immediately play the second one, the lyrics display doesn't change to the new lyrics. Korg has acknowledged it and said it will be corrected soon. It doesn't affect me anyway as I have never used both players back to back.
I even fooled around a little with the KAOSS feature. It is really easy to use, and I MIGHT use it for arpeggios occasionally, but probably not much. I can see it would be great for some of the new music though.

#433861 - 07/04/17 07:16 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Great review Don.....enjoy your new update I know in the trenches new things will be used more and more...."its coming"!! coffee

#433862 - 07/04/17 07:19 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Well my trenches remain pretty much the same. Most of my audiences want to hear what I already do, and to change it significantly would probably run them off! smile

#433865 - 07/04/17 07:31 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: DonM]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By DonM
Well my trenches remain pretty much the same. Most of my audiences want to hear what I already do, and to change it significantly would probably run them off! smile

Hey Don....if you never would have played "what you already do" the first time you never would have had the opportunity to build your audience.

Yes they like the songs, but I gotta guess they are more forgiving to an established performer who ventures into uncharted waters...

They will flow with the new stuff

#433867 - 07/04/17 07:42 AM Re: Korg PA4x just got even better [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Steve, I spend several hours last week trying to find current songs to add to my repertoire. I found exactly two that I thought I could do, and that I wanted to do. Guess I'm gettin' old here! smile

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online