SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#391308 - 07/31/14 01:17 PM No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Fellow Arranger Players:

I took my PSR-2000 out of "mothballs" yesterday after a request by my wife to begin using it as a piano. I upgraded to a PSR-S910 about a year or so ago and kept the 2000 as a backup.

To my surprise, after unpacking and setting the old warhorse up again, no sound would come out of the speakers. I quickly plugged in the earphones and everything sounds fine in that mode. I pulled out the manual and read until my eyes complained and found nothing definitive. I then resorted to a factory reset. Same problem still exists. Is it possible that when I was using this as my primary music maker and recording while listening to headphones (never used the speakers with a few exceptions)... that the contacts inside the jack will not return to a state to allow the speakers to receive a signal.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Rice
Songwriter

#391318 - 07/31/14 04:54 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I suspect the headphone PC board has a crack or cold solder joint.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#391319 - 07/31/14 04:59 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Thanks, Gary:

Sounds serious. I'm guessing I may have to "open the lid" and attempt "surgery" but I'll wait a few days and see if anyone else "rides up on a white horse with a miracle cure." Dang! At least "warranty" is not a factor... LOL!

Dave

#391321 - 07/31/14 06:18 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My late Buddy Hank just poured Vodka down his and it never failed to work. smile

#391322 - 07/31/14 06:46 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

Dave, I have repaired four of those boards, including one of Donny's. It's pretty easy.

Gary

#391325 - 07/31/14 08:04 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Gary:

Can you give me an estimate for such a repair if you elect to undertake such a task? Time is not crucial because I still have the 910 to allow me to keep writing songs and recording. I'm assuming you would want me to remove the board... or would you prefer I ship the whole thing to you? If I'm elected for the surgery, can you lead me through the opening of the case and where to find the circuit board you believe has a problem?

Naturally, a cost estimate would be important since I'm not as wealthy as Don Mason... you know, the guy who had a friend who poured vodka down his arranger from time to time. LOL! (Don: Would Scotch work as well?)

Regards,

Dave Rice

Edited by Riceroni9 (07/31/14 08:07 PM)

#391330 - 07/31/14 09:25 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Dave, I have repaired four of those boards, including one of Donny's. It's pretty easy.

Gary

Yes Gary really saved me with fixing a cracked sound board a little glue and bridge soldered the contacts and back in business on my old Psr 3k....

Thanx Mr Wizard clap

#391340 - 08/01/14 01:18 AM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Are you certain that your headphone 1/4" to mini adapter jack is not still in the jack? If so you would get no sound. Always the first thing to check if no sound. Hope it is as simple as that.

Scott

#391342 - 08/01/14 05:31 AM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

If it is the board, the board itself only cost about $20 from Yamaha, but first you need to determine if this indeed the problem source. This would require taking the keyboard apart and checking the headphone jack's PC board.

Gary cool

#391343 - 08/01/14 05:51 AM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Hi Scott, Gary and Donnie: (You too, Mason)

First, let me answer Scott's question. The 1/4 inch Headphone Jack is not inserted into the keyboard. My buddy Hackworth taught me how to silence the speakers by plugging in a "dumb" jack into the slot. During recording, the sound from the keyboard is monitored via the digital recorder. I plugged my headphones into the recorder but had to silence the speakers.

Gary, $20 bucks is a steal if that really is the problem. Is it soldered into the circuits or does it have a plug?

I checked it again yesterday to see if leaving the headphone jack "empty" overnight might bring it back to life. No joy!
Then I re-inserted the headphones and the sound was perfect through the headphones. I re-read the manual and found nothing to lead me out of the wilderness of soundless speakers.

Thanks, guys... for all your interest and suggestions. I'll continue to wait before attempting "surgery."

All the best,

Dave Rice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online