No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger

Posted by: Riceroni9

No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 07/31/14 01:17 PM

Hi Fellow Arranger Players:

I took my PSR-2000 out of "mothballs" yesterday after a request by my wife to begin using it as a piano. I upgraded to a PSR-S910 about a year or so ago and kept the 2000 as a backup.

To my surprise, after unpacking and setting the old warhorse up again, no sound would come out of the speakers. I quickly plugged in the earphones and everything sounds fine in that mode. I pulled out the manual and read until my eyes complained and found nothing definitive. I then resorted to a factory reset. Same problem still exists. Is it possible that when I was using this as my primary music maker and recording while listening to headphones (never used the speakers with a few exceptions)... that the contacts inside the jack will not return to a state to allow the speakers to receive a signal.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Rice
Songwriter
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 07/31/14 04:54 PM

I suspect the headphone PC board has a crack or cold solder joint.

Gary

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 07/31/14 04:59 PM

Thanks, Gary:

Sounds serious. I'm guessing I may have to "open the lid" and attempt "surgery" but I'll wait a few days and see if anyone else "rides up on a white horse with a miracle cure." Dang! At least "warranty" is not a factor... LOL!

Dave
Posted by: DonM

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 07/31/14 06:18 PM

My late Buddy Hank just poured Vodka down his and it never failed to work. smile

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 07/31/14 06:46 PM

Dave, I have repaired four of those boards, including one of Donny's. It's pretty easy.

Gary

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 07/31/14 08:04 PM

Gary:

Can you give me an estimate for such a repair if you elect to undertake such a task? Time is not crucial because I still have the 910 to allow me to keep writing songs and recording. I'm assuming you would want me to remove the board... or would you prefer I ship the whole thing to you? If I'm elected for the surgery, can you lead me through the opening of the case and where to find the circuit board you believe has a problem?

Naturally, a cost estimate would be important since I'm not as wealthy as Don Mason... you know, the guy who had a friend who poured vodka down his arranger from time to time. LOL! (Don: Would Scotch work as well?)

Regards,

Dave Rice
Posted by: Dnj

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 07/31/14 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Dave, I have repaired four of those boards, including one of Donny's. It's pretty easy.

Gary

Yes Gary really saved me with fixing a cracked sound board a little glue and bridge soldered the contacts and back in business on my old Psr 3k....

Thanx Mr Wizard clap
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 01:18 AM

Are you certain that your headphone 1/4" to mini adapter jack is not still in the jack? If so you would get no sound. Always the first thing to check if no sound. Hope it is as simple as that.

Scott

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 05:31 AM

If it is the board, the board itself only cost about $20 from Yamaha, but first you need to determine if this indeed the problem source. This would require taking the keyboard apart and checking the headphone jack's PC board.

Gary cool

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 05:51 AM

Hi Scott, Gary and Donnie: (You too, Mason)

First, let me answer Scott's question. The 1/4 inch Headphone Jack is not inserted into the keyboard. My buddy Hackworth taught me how to silence the speakers by plugging in a "dumb" jack into the slot. During recording, the sound from the keyboard is monitored via the digital recorder. I plugged my headphones into the recorder but had to silence the speakers.

Gary, $20 bucks is a steal if that really is the problem. Is it soldered into the circuits or does it have a plug?

I checked it again yesterday to see if leaving the headphone jack "empty" overnight might bring it back to life. No joy!
Then I re-inserted the headphones and the sound was perfect through the headphones. I re-read the manual and found nothing to lead me out of the wilderness of soundless speakers.

Thanks, guys... for all your interest and suggestions. I'll continue to wait before attempting "surgery."

All the best,

Dave Rice
Posted by: billyhank

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 07:05 AM

Dave,

The headset board is a plug-in board and very easy to install.

Just lay the keyboard face down on a bed to protect the keys.
There are a bunch of Phillips(cross head) screws with several being longer than the others, so be sure to mark where those go.
When you lift the bottom up, you will want to open like a book because all the connecting cables from bottom to top halves are at the back of the board.
The headphone board is right there where the plug is located - easy to see and easy to replace. It may just have a bit of corrosion on the contacts.

Bill G

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 08:22 AM

Thanks, Bill:

I'll copy down your instructions and have them ready if a simpler alternative is not discovered. Sounds pretty straight-forward to me.

Regards,

Dave

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 10:11 AM

Dave,

Having seen this problem a number of times in the past, both Gary and I have recommended just plugging the headphone in and out repeatedly a few times sometimes clears up the problem.

You can even try this while a song or style is playing to see if there is any noise in the speakers or music.

This switch is very, very simple set of contacts that just open and close to mute or unmute the speakers.

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 03:22 PM

It's a stand alone board with a single plug, which may have vibrated out. The very first thing to do, after removing the keyboard case, would be to unplug the PC board connector, then plug it back in. If that doesn't work, download the schematic diagram of the board, which will allow you to see where the connections are made. You can than use a test cable (multi-meter cable) and jump out the jack connections to see if the speakers then activate. If not, then there's always the possibility that another plug is not making good contact, possibly the one on the main amp section of the mother board. If you cannot access the schematics, I have them on file and can post them for downloading.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 04:42 PM

Thanks Gary and Bill:

Tomorrow afternoon, I will begin the simple tests before I open up the case. Plugging and unplugging the 1/4 Headphone Jack several times will be first on my list. Next, I'll plug the mic into the back, adjust the volume and see if it creates any speaker sound.

Don, I really don't plan to waste any good "Spirits" on the 2000 'cause it might develop some bad habits... or Heaven Forbid... become dependent on booze.

I'll be back with tales of my adventure into Yammie land in a few days. Oh yes, I forgot to mention... the power chord will be unplugged when I begin "surgery!" LOL!

Have a great weekend, guys... and many thanks for your care and concern.

All the best,

Dave Rice

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/01/14 05:20 PM

Good luck Dave - we await your report. :-)

Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger - 08/02/14 06:09 PM

Hi Guys:

No progress to report. My wife discovered she could use ear buds instead of the headphones and she has been happily (and quietly) playing the feaux piano (my old 2000 arranger) off and on all day. She won't give it up long enough for me to perform my "surgical inspection."

I did attempt to use the microphone by plugging it into the back of the 2000 after removing the headphone "dummy jack" to see if any sound might emanate from the speakers in that fashion. No luck. Dead silence.

I also tried the trick of plugging in and removing the dummy jack into the headphone connection rapidly and repeatedly. Still no sound from the speakers. It may be days before I get to find out if the board is the problem... but I will let you know what I discover if I ever get the opportunity to open it up.

Thanks again for your suggestions and interest,

Dave Rice