SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#387127 - 03/29/14 07:06 AM Audya versus the S950...
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi all,

Purchased a new S950 recently as I sorely missed some of those fantastic Yamaha styles. Spent all of two weeks preparing her for our next public performance.

We'll yesterday, I put her through our sound system for the first time. The vocals from the mic sounded terrible, no matter what I did. So I routed the mic through a mixer, using the effects to the amp & routing the original voice to the Yamaha's harmonizer. Turned down the volume on the Yamaha of the lead voice completely so that only the harmonies are mixed with everything else.

Well this was better, but Monica refused to continue as we sounded like amateurs (which we are off course).

So out comes the Audya & we are blown away by the quality of the sound using nothing but the Audya.

I cannot vouch for the Tyros range, but the Audya is most certainly a winner when it comes to sounding like the real thing & also AJ has no small influence to this.

I'll keep the S950. Maybe it'll fit in somewhere later. But we will only be performing live with the Audya, that's for sure!

Anyways, just my two cents on this.

Keep well all,

Henni

#387129 - 03/29/14 07:38 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
Dnj Offline

I would say you might not have the S950 & its Voc processor set up properly as it is definitely a very capable arranger KB in a live situation as I can attest to that night after night on gigs.
Stick with the Audya as its working good for you & for-filling your musical needs,....

the S950 wont be hard to sell if its not your cup of tea..

Edited by Dnj (03/29/14 07:59 AM)

#387131 - 03/29/14 08:07 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Donny - the S950 has a great vocal processor. If I were you I would do a master reset and start from scratch.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#387132 - 03/29/14 08:19 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Dnj]
Henni Offline

DNJ,

Maybe you professionals can set up the equipment better. With my limited abilities in this, the Audya sounds much better, realistic and the vocal and harmonizer works brilliantly as is.

Guess well stick with what we can handle for now. I have a lot of fun with the S950 through the headphones though...

Maybe weve been spoilt rotten by the Audya.

All the best

Henni

#387133 - 03/29/14 08:21 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Okay Gary,

Ill try that.

Cheers,

Henni

#387134 - 03/29/14 08:32 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
Dnj Offline

First off NEVER do anything with headphones on....just sayin ;-)

Henni yes I would have to agree that the Audya VH is MUCH better then the S950 & Yamaha really needs to step it up in that department as with a total redesign of their MFD also......
I was just referring to the S950 Voc processing alone.
Lets face it the Audya & any Yamaha arranger today are totally different animals sound wise,....They both have their draw backs Pro & Con,...You have to weigh your needs and choose what works best for you for now.

Have Fun

#387135 - 03/29/14 08:35 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well, Henni, I'd say you just learned a good lesson.

I'd probably feel the same way going from my Tyros4 to an Audya...in my case, I just wouldn't warm up to the sound and styles of the latter.

At least you gave it a try, but maybe, as Donny and Gary pointed out, you just didn't do enough tweaking with it.

However, I have my doubts if you'll ever find anything to completely replace your old Audya so, good or bad, you're stuck with it.

Perhaps you may consider putting the money you get from selling the S950 towards another similarly set up Audya, for as you probably know, these (and all other brand) instruments eventually simply wear out and will need hardware replacements like key contact strips, buttons/panel switches and even hard disk drives.

It would be very difficult to get any kind of an instrument fixed quickly, and you would likely end up with some unpleasant down time if you didn't have a back-up.

If I was to go back to gigging as steady as I used to, I'd get another Tyros4 for backup, in spite of the usually great reliability record of the instrument....not all problems are a result of the equipment simply failing...sometimes things get bumped and dropped accidentally.

Ian

#387136 - 03/29/14 08:59 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: ianmcnll]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Well, Henni, I'd say you just learned a good lesson.

I'd probably feel the same way going from my Tyros4 to an Audya...in my case, I just wouldn't warm up to the sound and styles of the latter.

At least you gave it a try, but maybe, as Donny and Gary pointed out, you just didn't do enough tweaking with it.

However, I have my doubts if you'll ever find anything to completely replace your old Audya so, good or bad, you're stuck with it.

Perhaps you may consider putting the money you get from selling the S950 towards another similarly set up Audya, for as you probably know, these (and all other brand) instruments eventually simply wear out and will need hardware replacements like key contact strips, buttons/panel switches and even hard disk drives.

It would be very difficult to get any kind of an instrument fixed quickly, and you would likely end up with some unpleasant down time if you didn't have a back-up.

If I was to go back to gigging as steady as I used to, I'd get another Tyros4 for backup, in spite of the usually great reliability record of the instrument....not all problems are a result of the equipment simply failing...sometimes things get bumped and dropped accidentally.

Ian

all great advice Ian !!!!!!

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#387137 - 03/29/14 09:15 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi DNJ,

When I prepare the Audya beforehand, it is with headphones. I have not as yet found the need to change anything when I route her through our sound system.

Maybe with the S950 this is different, although it makes no sense to me. I use the same headphones for both arrangers.

Cheers,

Henni

Edited by Henni (03/29/14 09:17 AM)

#387138 - 03/29/14 10:05 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
First off NEVER do anything with headphones on....just sayin ;-)

I totally agree. I always program styles and registrations using the system I'll be gigging with.

However, if headphones appear to work well for other players, all that really matters in the end, are the results.

If one uses headphones for all preparations, at least it is consistent.

Ian

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online