SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >
Topic Options
#382807 - 01/28/14 05:35 AM Don Mason....BK-9 review so far?
Dnj Offline

Don now that you have had the BK-9 a day or so how about a
Full review?..... keys I know you will make that KB sound fantastic! headphone I for one wait anxiously.

#382810 - 01/28/14 06:08 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

I'd be interested also:

1. Does it contain enough versatile styles to do all kinds of music (I know I can delete, etc, but that doesn't work if the style is lame to being with!)

2. What advantage (besides 76) considering it has NO vocal harm, NO pads, etc?

3. Seems to me that Roland sounds are "thin", especially acoustic guitars.

All said - I would really like this to work - kinda tired of the same board.

Thanks.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#382811 - 01/28/14 06:11 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: zuki
I'd be interested also:

1. Does it contain enough versatile styles to do all kinds of music (I know I can delete, etc, but that doesn't work if the style is lame to being with!)

2. What advantage (besides 76) considering it has NO vocal harm, NO pads, etc?

3. Seems to me that Roland sounds are "thin", especially acoustic guitars.

All said - I would really like this to work - kinda tired of the same board.

Thanks.

as for styles I would assume you can always draw all the great G70 styles from the Roland library into the BK9 also and make it your own..but we'll see what Don thinks about the KB soon enough and hopefully a few demos videos too.

#382840 - 01/28/14 09:51 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
So far I haven't done much besides play it for a number of hours, getting familiar with the controls and navigation.
I hooked up my FC7 pedal and assigned functions to it, including a really neat feature that instantly changes voices from Upper one to Upper two and back. I forgot about this being on the other Rolands. You can also assign Volume pedal to fade Upper one and Upper two voices, with one assigned to positive value and the other negative. It's a long-time Roland feature.
I assigned one switch to break/mute, and have the others to call up style variations. I'm using an assignable pedal for the Style Part/midi file Mute function.
I plugged in a mic, e.q.d it just a little and adjusted the reverb. Very simple controls and functions, but it sounds really good. No Vh of course. I do have a Harmony M if needed though.
I plugged in the USB drive from my BK7m and it read all the Performances just fine, except a few where it couldn't find some styles. No problem there either, simple to fix. However I want to be certain I'm taking advantage of the newer sounds from the BK9, so I'm changing most of them, editing OTS settings and such.
Every on board style has its own individual number, so I went through every style, writing down the number and some notes if I thought it would be good for a certain song or genre.
Any style can be instantly called up using numeric entry method.
After that I went through most of the Factory Performance List, trying their setups on songs I recognized. Didn't do them all, because there are so many it would take all night.
During this time I also set up the Global settings to my liking, including such things as Split Point, Fingering Mode, Touch Settings, OTS behavior (holds), Performance Holds, etc.
I also fooled around with the E.Q. and Compression settings. Haven't made any drastic changes because I've only played through several different sets of headphones and the Logitech Z2200 in my office. Today I will set up the Nano system and try that.
Next, I will set up a couple banks of my Favorite sounds, which can be instantly called up via buttons.
I downloaded the Ipad apps but have not yet connected it to the keyboard. Looks interesting and will make setup pretty easy, but I wanted to learn stuff the hard way first.
As to the Styles, I believe everything can be found. If not, there are tons of them floating around. I have a full library somewhere on my computer. However, again, I want to take advantage of the new ones whenever possible.
Two of my favorites from older Rolands were not there, but I loaded them and they play great.
Zuki, the Supernatural sounds are really great, certainly no thin. It is so easy to edit sounds that any of them can be easily adjusted to your liking. I don't find them thin.
I think one of the strengths is the variety of styles, a lot of which I'll ever use, but your needs may differ. I think you'll find most anything you need.
Other advantages include the best organ sims I've heard on a keyboard, or perhaps from anywhere! I've always liked how you can hit the joystick and the leslie winds up or down-very realistic.
I have not yet experimented with the Audio Loop thing, but it will be more capable than multipads for sure. Possibilities are almost limited with that.
I really like the key touch, very responsive, yet with enough feeling for expression.
The chord sequencer is seamless. Far easier to start and stop than the Korg, and the Chord loops can be saved for later use!
I like the style part Mute feature, allowing you to mute selected style parts with one button push.
Yamaha sustain pedal works fine.
As for drawbacks, of course they are there too. The Break/fill is still merely a Break (no fill). As mentioned, no vocal harmony. I miss the touch strip from the Korg. Have to work with D Beam I guess. I miss some of the styles I was using. That can be remedied.
Although you still must often press two buttons to get the ending or intro you want, at least the endings are well done. MANY of the Korg endings, particularly the short ones, cut off too quickly, like someone just pulling the plug. Had to work around those.
I have to use a different keyboard stand because of the length. I have several though. Same with bag.
If I could find a way to have text files pop up automatically with Performances I would really like that. The BK9 does not store text files, only lyrics from midi files.
I will not have a problem performing with this keyboard (or with any of the current ones for that matter). Is it better than the PA3X. Certainly not, but it's different. I had a chance to sell the Korg for a good price. If the BK9 doesn't work out as expected, there are other options (PA4X?? next year maybe.)
Meantime, I'm moving in and out so much now, the light weight will be much appreciated.
I will update when I know more. So far, so good.
If there are specific questions, shoot away and I'll try to find the answer.

#382845 - 01/28/14 10:50 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Thanks Don,

Sounds like a terrific board. I'd still miss the VH (but was using less). Lyrics...oh well

question:

1. Can you make your own music while on one of the end/fill buttons?
2. Is it as easy to go from song to song (medleys I could do lightening fast on the 800)?
3. Is the keybed similar to the VA76/G70? Yummy!

If the sounds and styles are there, I'm going to jump on this next. I think the audio input is spectacular (harmonies, arps, friends stuff (send me some guitar licks please smile and 76 keys? wow

Edited by zuki (01/28/14 10:53 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#382848 - 01/28/14 11:24 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. It's been a long time since I played G70. This one may be a little lighter touch, not sure. Suits me very well though.

#382855 - 01/28/14 01:39 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
So far I haven't done much besides play it for a number of hours, getting familiar with the controls and navigation.
I hooked up my FC7 pedal and assigned functions to it, including a really neat feature that instantly changes voices from Upper one to Upper two and back. I forgot about this being on the other Rolands. You can also assign Volume pedal to fade Upper one and Upper two voices, with one assigned to positive value and the other negative. It's a long-time Roland feature.
I assigned one switch to break/mute, and have the others to call up style variations. I'm using an assignable pedal for the Style Part/midi file Mute function.
I plugged in a mic, e.q.d it just a little and adjusted the reverb. Very simple controls and functions, but it sounds really good. No Vh of course. I do have a Harmony M if needed though.
I plugged in the USB drive from my BK7m and it read all the Performances just fine, except a few where it couldn't find some styles. No problem there either, simple to fix. However I want to be certain I'm taking advantage of the newer sounds from the BK9, so I'm changing most of them, editing OTS settings and such.
Every on board style has its own individual number, so I went through every style, writing down the number and some notes if I thought it would be good for a certain song or genre.
Any style can be instantly called up using numeric entry method.
After that I went through most of the Factory Performance List, trying their setups on songs I recognized. Didn't do them all, because there are so many it would take all night.
During this time I also set up the Global settings to my liking, including such things as Split Point, Fingering Mode, Touch Settings, OTS behavior (holds), Performance Holds, etc.
I also fooled around with the E.Q. and Compression settings. Haven't made any drastic changes because I've only played through several different sets of headphones and the Logitech Z2200 in my office. Today I will set up the Nano system and try that.
Next, I will set up a couple banks of my Favorite sounds, which can be instantly called up via buttons.
I downloaded the Ipad apps but have not yet connected it to the keyboard. Looks interesting and will make setup pretty easy, but I wanted to learn stuff the hard way first.
As to the Styles, I believe everything can be found. If not, there are tons of them floating around. I have a full library somewhere on my computer. However, again, I want to take advantage of the new ones whenever possible.
Two of my favorites from older Rolands were not there, but I loaded them and they play great.
Zuki, the Supernatural sounds are really great, certainly no thin. It is so easy to edit sounds that any of them can be easily adjusted to your liking. I don't find them thin.
I think one of the strengths is the variety of styles, a lot of which I'll ever use, but your needs may differ. I think you'll find most anything you need.
Other advantages include the best organ sims I've heard on a keyboard, or perhaps from anywhere! I've always liked how you can hit the joystick and the leslie winds up or down-very realistic.
I have not yet experimented with the Audio Loop thing, but it will be more capable than multipads for sure. Possibilities are almost limited with that.
I really like the key touch, very responsive, yet with enough feeling for expression.
The chord sequencer is seamless. Far easier to start and stop than the Korg, and the Chord loops can be saved for later use!
I like the style part Mute feature, allowing you to mute selected style parts with one button push.
Yamaha sustain pedal works fine.
As for drawbacks, of course they are there too. The Break/fill is still merely a Break (no fill). As mentioned, no vocal harmony. I miss the touch strip from the Korg. Have to work with D Beam I guess. I miss some of the styles I was using. That can be remedied.
Although you still must often press two buttons to get the ending or intro you want, at least the endings are well done. MANY of the Korg endings, particularly the short ones, cut off too quickly, like someone just pulling the plug. Had to work around those.
I have to use a different keyboard stand because of the length. I have several though. Same with bag.
If I could find a way to have text files pop up automatically with Performances I would really like that. The BK9 does not store text files, only lyrics from midi files.
I will not have a problem performing with this keyboard (or with any of the current ones for that matter). Is it better than the PA3X. Certainly not, but it's different. I had a chance to sell the Korg for a good price. If the BK9 doesn't work out as expected, there are other options (PA4X?? next year maybe.)
Meantime, I'm moving in and out so much now, the light weight will be much appreciated.
I will update when I know more. So far, so good.
If there are specific questions, shoot away and I'll try to find the answer.

Don sounds like your having fun with the BK9 for sure.......
As soon as the "HOMEWORK" is all done I Know you will be kicking A$$ on stage with this KB. Keep us posted on your progress and tips & tricks setting it up. Glad you dumped the Pa3x also ....now there's no crutch to fall back on and can really concentrate on making the BK9 work for your needs keys

Edited by Dnj (01/28/14 01:41 PM)

#382868 - 01/28/14 02:29 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Well, it hasn't actually left the premises yet. I hate to see it go. . .

#382871 - 01/28/14 02:37 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Well, it hasn't actually left the premises yet. I hate to see it go. . .

Either that or back to the AUDYA... wink

#382924 - 01/29/14 06:59 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Don

+1 on all you said. I'm working hard on Editing all the Styles I use and am very happy with the Editing choices they give you. Being able to choose a new Drum set and then go in and edit the individual instruments in that set is really cool. Yesterday I spent an hour on one Style, changing instruments, volumes, EQ, etc. and about 15 minutes getting the snare drum just right. I like a strong backbeat and bass so for me it was time well spent.
I can't wait till Dony and Fran get theirs and can read about all the amazing things they're doing with it .
BK9 is a great design for the working pro.

#382925 - 01/29/14 07:14 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Glad you like so much about this arranger so far...
Seems like it offers a lot for the money..

Did you try setting it up as a master keyboard?
Does it support midi over USB so i can plug it into my PC and controll some VSTīs
Can i assign different midi channels to the splits on the BK9?
Can i split the keyboard up in 3 or even more parts?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#382927 - 01/29/14 07:47 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Don+1 on all you said. Being able to choose a new Drum set and then go in and edit the individual instruments in that set is really cool.

Micro editing a DRUM KIT is one of ROLANDS strengths I used that all the time with my G70 & something I miss using a Yamaha arranger as some of my styles could really use that kind of editing snares, etc,....hey lets face it ALL Arrangers have their + & - workarounds is the name of the game depending on your needs...I would also suggest that you do this intense editing with your PA set up in the house and playing at
FULL PERFORMANCE VOLUME otherwise you could be in for a big surprise in a bad way on stage and will have to make many changes afterwards. Good luck everyone & lets hear some demos when your done also....as for myself I am just too busy to take on and setup a new KB at this time but down the road who knows?...I am approaching the 1 YEAR mark with my S-950 and honestly I'm comfortable where I am with it on stage.....will Yamaha release a new S series unit soon who knows? But I would certainly be ready to check it out if it has better features for my needs. have fun Boyz! keys

#382948 - 01/29/14 11:28 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Good advice Donny
Yes, I've had some surprizes with my edits when playing a real gig. And I hate trying to make changes in a live situation.
My main PA is 2 carvin 12" speakers and a yamaha Mixer. In my small studio I have 2 10" Carvins and their amazing small XP800 mixer. Pretty close but I just can't go gig loud in my small space. Thats why I got away from editing with headphones, too many surprizes later.

#382972 - 01/29/14 12:56 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Just a "note". There are a few styles that were on the BK7m that are not on the BK9, including a couple of my favorites, such as Euro Ballad. I was able to find them and many more on www.createstyles.com
There is a one-time fee to join, but well worth it for anyone looking for styles for any arranger! I've been a member since it started.

#382975 - 01/29/14 01:01 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don ... that link is not working ...

#382976 - 01/29/14 01:02 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Just a "note". There are a few styles that were on the BK7m that are not on the BK9, including a couple of my favorites, such as Euro Ballad. I was able to find them and many more on www.createstyles.com
There is a one-time fee to join, but well worth it for anyone looking for styles for any arranger! I've been a member since it started.

link dont work????

#382978 - 01/29/14 01:05 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Good advice Donny
Yes, I've had some surprizes with my edits when playing a real gig. And I hate trying to make changes in a live situation.
My main PA is 2 carvin 12" speakers and a yamaha Mixer. In my small studio I have 2 10" Carvins and their amazing small XP800 mixer. Pretty close but I just can't go gig loud in my small space. Thats why I got away from editing with headphones, too many surprizes later.

if you have to rent a studio space for the day and play at your FULL performance volume ...I have done that many times .....believe me it will save you so much aggravation and redoing songs again & again down the road.. wink
BTW NO HEADPHONES WHILE EDITING ARRANGER KBS!!

Edited by Dnj (01/29/14 01:06 PM)

#382981 - 01/29/14 01:11 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Yes, please find that link. I'm bought a BK9 today. Will be in next week. Wish me luck - uncharted territory. Hope I don't compare too much vs the 3X.

#382991 - 01/29/14 01:40 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess if you wait by the river long enough.... LOL

I have a G70 and a BK-9 sitting next to each other right now. I'm afraid the keybed is NOT like the yummy G70 one. That one (they've been using it all the way back to the G800 and the A70 controller days) is by far the best plastic keyboard on the planet..! But it IS heavy (I've removed a few of them in my time), and would add considerably to the BK-9's light weight (you need a heavier case to support a heavier keybed). So I guess it's time to move on...

But it IS as good feeling as a PA3X or Tyros, albeit with no aftertouch. Dynamics are easily controlled, firm playing doesn't push it too hard, and organ smears and palm slides are comfortable, I don't get hung up on the corners too much (one of the strengths of the rounded off G70 keys). They are a hair shorter than G70 keys (which are almost full piano length), pretty much standard length for most synths.

I thought they would bother me, but I'm pleasantly surprised. This ain't no PSR!

One of the BEST things that the Makeup Tools do is allow you to quickly and easily offset the velocities of style and SMF Parts, and also offset the velocity of each individual drum sound. Combined with independent volume for them all, too. I can't tell you how GOOD this is, when it comes to editing styles from other arrangers. No two arrangers have their velocity splits for their sounds and drum kit sounds in the same place, and being able to quickly dial down a part with it's velocities too high, or bring up something too low allows you to use the full tonal range of today's modern velocity split sounds and drum kits.

If the two button ending or intro system is a pain, Don, you can always get a cheap MIDI fader/button bank, and each of the style Divisions is addressable with one MIDI command.

I don't know why the forum is all of a sudden agog with BK-9 demos and buzz, but all I can say is, it's about TIME..!

#382993 - 01/29/14 01:51 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I don't know why the forum is all of a sudden agog with BK-9 demos and buzz, but all I can say is, it's about TIME..!

Well its pretty much the newest kid on the block so by being publicly exposed like an inquisition in every which way now makes it easier to cast it aside when the next and greatest comes along soon maybe at Musicmesse..or what the BK9 can or cant do keeps the interested and pushes away the curious purchaser to look elsewhere.... cool2

#383000 - 01/29/14 02:03 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Tyros5 came out well after the BK-9. But got the buzz sooner. Oh well! Better late than never.

After all, it has taken the G70 almost 8 years to become some people's new favorite arranger..!

#383011 - 01/29/14 03:01 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

#383012 - 01/29/14 03:10 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Donny are getting a Bk 9. Lot of activity from you on that Keyboard ???

#383013 - 01/29/14 03:15 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: musicforyourday]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday

Thanks, Don ... they have KORG styles also?

Edited by tony mads usa (01/29/14 03:15 PM)

#383017 - 01/29/14 03:50 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

Ron has a terrific site. I'm very glad to be on there.

Oodles of goodies for everyone!

Ian

#383018 - 01/29/14 04:10 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Ron not at this time.......I AM MUCH TOO BUSY GIGGING NOW TO ATTEMPT TO SETUP A NEW kb & that goes for anything out new there .....All I was doing by posting ROLAND info was hoping to help bk9 newbies so that maybe they could get started quicker.....as I know what a pain in the a$$ it is to do your "homework"...next week is my S950 Anniversary and I'm really proud of myself clap .....it's like the old days years ago when I kept gear for years.. cool2 even though I don't have a BK9 I'm also learning the OS operations too watching besides I'm familiar owning a BK5 for a short while too. At this time the S950 is holing it's own. keys ...if it didn't I'd be meeting Uncle Dave, Fran, or Prince AJ in some dark parking lot somewhere late at night making a swap which we've done many times before laugh2...
good luck everyone with the BK9 keys ......
make it work!!!

Edited by Dnj (01/29/14 04:15 PM)

#383019 - 01/29/14 04:12 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

I have a G70 and a BK-9 sitting next to each other right now. I'm afraid the keybed is NOT like the yummy G70 one. That one (they've been using it all the way back to the G800 and the A70 controller days) is by far the best plastic keyboard on the planet..! But it IS heavy (I've removed a few of them in my time), and would add considerably to the BK-9's light weight (you need a heavier case to support a heavier keybed). So I guess it's time to move on...

But it IS as good feeling as a PA3X or Tyros, albeit with no aftertouch. Dynamics are easily controlled, firm playing doesn't push it too hard, and organ smears and palm slides are comfortable, I don't get hung up on the corners too much (one of the strengths of the rounded off G70 keys). They are a hair shorter than G70 keys (which are almost full piano length), pretty much standard length for most synths.

I haven't been able to try a BK-9, but is there any other keyboard made by Roland that would be the same?

I'm thinking the new Jupiter-50 could have the same action, as it also does not have aftertouch (the Jupiter-80 does).

I'm more likely to run across one of those than a BK-9.

Ian

#383021 - 01/29/14 04:41 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

Thanks, Don ... they have KORG styles also?

Yes they do. All brands.

#383022 - 01/29/14 04:56 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

The styles forum has 1 one reply on BK styles. I'm thinking it might not be for me yet, unless the G70 converted will work.

not many keyboard players have purchased BK-9 because of its "medieval" displays so there are few free styles available. There are however some in the Roland section in this forum. If you happen to be interested in some Western Balkan styles, try these: [Only Lifetime Members can see links]

try this as well:
[Only Lifetime Members can see links]

#383030 - 01/29/14 06:35 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I downloaded all the styles that were on bk7 but not on bk9, and also a folder of styles converted from Ketron SD 5, then about a dozen song styles.
Most were very good. There were a LOT more.

#383056 - 01/30/14 12:11 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Ian, I haven't played any other Roland with the same action yet. Admittedly, I haven't seen a Jupiter yet, but I've played some of the Juno's...not even close!

I wasn't all that impressed with the BK3 and BK-5 actions. Admittedly, they still felt better than a PSR, but nothing like the BK-9. That is crisp, precise, and quite a pleasure to play.

#383058 - 01/30/14 12:14 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I really like the action. It's light enough for my old arthritic fingers yet has solid response. The keys do have sharp edges on the underneath. It will make you be sure and hold your fingers up a little, as you should anyway.

#383059 - 01/30/14 12:16 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

And Donny... DON'T DO IT! stop

You will gush about it for a couple of months, then gradually the realization that it isn't a Yamaha PSR will dawn on you, and then you will start putting it down and go back to your S950...

Honestly, I can't think of an arranger that is more the polar opposite of the S950 than the BK-9! Sound, OS, styles, feel, lack of VH, screens, it's everything the PSR isn't. And the PSR is everything the BK-9 isn't!

Play Fran's (when he gets one!), enjoy what it does, but go back to your one true love!

#383069 - 01/30/14 01:49 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Ian, I haven't played any other Roland with the same action yet. Admittedly, I haven't seen a Jupiter yet, but I've played some of the Juno's...not even close!

I wasn't all that impressed with the BK3 and BK-5 actions. Admittedly, they still felt better than a PSR, but nothing like the BK-9. That is crisp, precise, and quite a pleasure to play.

I was even more interested in trying it for myself when my friend who bought the Tyros5-76 said he tried a BK-9 at a music store out West and he was a bit concerned that it wouldn't stand up to his playing over the long haul, plus, he said it was actually too light (go figure that one) and it wasn't easy to secure on the stand it was on(the kind with 4-legs...a K&M).

He also mentioned the data wheel as feeling a tad fragile.

Otherwise, he said it sounded great, and he thought the acoustic pianos were very well done, and the Rhodes sims were especially nice and expressive.

In any case, Johnny grew up on acoustic pianos, and plays pretty hard, and most synth type keyboards don't usually last long under his big fingers...his 9000 Pro has only had to have the strips replaced twice over the many years he's owned it, and hopefully the Tyros5-76 will stand up even better. He really likes the action so far.

PSR instruments were never a consideration, as you will understand.

His concerns were what piqued my interest even more in trying the BK-9. I'm sure I'll like it, as I'm not that heavy a player, having spent so much time on Hammond AND weighted actioned pianos, so I'm able to adjust to something lighter...e.g...I have no problem on PSR's.

I also want to be able to personally recommend the BK-9 to those wanting a 76'er that is much less expensive and more portable than a Tyros5-76, which is a bit on the large side, although, I must say, it does look very impressive, especially on the L7S stand, which was made for it.

It is a big chunk of change nevertheless.

I've checked with Roland Canada regarding similar keybeds to see if they can tell me what other 'boards use the same keybed...I was thinking it was the Jupiter-50, but I want to be sure. No word yet.

Maybe I can talk them into sending a BK-9 in locally...worth a try.

DonM seems very pleased with his, and I trust his judgement as I do yours and Fran's (I'm looking forward to Mr. Carango's impressions).

Ian

#383075 - 01/30/14 05:03 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Don one more day with the BK9?.....one more review?.
Setting up styles, sounds, levels, iPad integration, OS navigation while playing live, fills, breaks, intro/endings,
vocal efx, dual; display look & functions, hooked up to the nano yet?....???? first gig with it coming soon?

curious minds want to know... confused1

#383102 - 01/30/14 09:32 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I'm taking my time. Yesterday was mostly spent auditioning styles, finding some I was missing, saving Favorite Sounds, and updating some of my old Performances.
The dual display isn't that bad. Editing and saving things is pretty easy, even directly on the keyboard. I don't much like all the distorted Rock guitar sounds on the Rock Styles, so I'm changing some of those sounds, or just taking them out. Easy enough. Just adjust and save to Performance.
Haven't hooked up the Ipad yet because I need the cable.
Regarding the vocal processing. It has high and low e.q. and a preset reverb that is only adjustable in level. Sounds pretty good. Nothing fancy, but fine for an hour nursing home job. I will use Harmony M with it most of the time.
The sound is good out of the box. I played with the overall compression and e.q. a little, but didn't change much.
I have played it through the Nano. My friend DickieT came over yesterday to see the keyboard and he was totally impressed . . . with the Nano. smile Oh, and he liked the BK9 too, but it would be way too big a change for him after years and years of Yammies.
He wanted to trade his Tyros 4 for my Korg though. Out of the question of course!
As to operating live, that's about all I've done. The FC7 pedal board is great and there are lots of functions that can be assigned to it, depending on your preferences. Also my Yamaha sustain, footswitch and volume pedals all work fine if needed.
The Chord Sequencer is seamless and easy to use!
I have three more weeks to decide if I will keep the BK9, but I think I will at this point. At any rate, the Korg goes to Houston tomorrow, on its way to Hidalgo, Mexico to mi amigo there.
I have about decided to drive it to Houston and visit Don Patterson on the way in Lufkin. Houston is about 3 1/2 hours so I can drive for about the same price as shipping it. Mini-vacation.
Overall, I can work easily with the BK9. Do I expect to keep it ten years. That would be highly unlikely, but I'm sure it would last through the end of my career if needed. Just another toy/ I mean TOOL.
Best points as of now: Sounds, especially drums, pianos, acoustic guitars, ORGANS and bass. Chord sequencer. Footswitch to toggle between Upper One and Upper Two sounds. Favorite Banks (wish they would store custom effects though). Ease of operation, especially in auditioning new styles. (With Korg, everything must be loaded into User area of the keyboard, no auditioning straight from USB.)
So far so good!

#383130 - 01/30/14 03:05 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Don thanx for the update on setting up your BK9.........
cant wait to hear more about your experiences after you have 5-10 gigs under you belt with the BK9 as that will be the deciding factor as you well know..............

just in case you decide to not keep it and your Pa3x is now gone wheat do you have your sites on next ....I Know deep inside you miss the Audya, keys ...and for me you never sounded better with it on stage. headphone

Edited by Dnj (01/30/14 03:07 PM)

#383146 - 01/30/14 04:16 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

No Audya for me! Too heavy.

#383150 - 01/30/14 04:36 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
[quote=DonM]No Audya for me! Too heavy. [/quot

Don, the best song on your website to me (keyboard wise) is Thats alright now mama.. smile

Guitars, drums , bass... and it sounds live...What board was that? grin

#383154 - 01/30/14 05:27 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Don, the best song on your website to me (keyboard wise) is Thats alright now mama.. smile

... real rock-a-billy ... Elvis would have loved it ... rocker guitar

#383156 - 01/30/14 06:17 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

get the ketron module audya 4 with a controller?

#383166 - 01/30/14 09:54 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Still heavy...

#383168 - 01/30/14 10:40 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

[quote=DonM]No Audya for me! Too heavy. [/quot

I suspect you know Fran. That's Roland all the way. smile

#383174 - 01/31/14 01:55 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Still heavy...

we will know for sure once Don starts to gig with the BK9 a few times.. cool2

#383239 - 01/31/14 02:36 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Don, try taking the SN Jazz Guitar, then feed it into a few of the amp sims. Keep the input level low-ish (that's how you don't overload the amp sim, and you get a more expressive gradual break-up as you play harder). EQ out some bottom, maybe boost some upper mids, it's total blues guitar heaven!

Add some delay by re-tasking the main chorus send, but send to it from the MFX, NOT the main mixer, set it to a tempo-linked setting... OMG!

The main thing is, the SN guitar takes care of all that solo/chording stuff, makes the chords riff better, then the amp sim gives it the crunch. I have it set up so the swell pedal controls the guitar volume, and it goes from a nice semi-clean rhythm sound to a nice creamy lead sound, simply by bringing up the swell pedal. And, just like an amp, the sim stops it getting too loud at the top, so BOTH sounds sit in the mix quite nicely.

Experiment, have fun, rock on..!

#383270 - 01/31/14 04:29 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I will try that asap.
I'm spending a LOT of time with it, trying to decide if it is for me. Lots of things to like for sure!

#383276 - 01/31/14 05:22 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

I'm spending a LOT of time with it, trying to decide if it is for me.

You are making me nervous

#383281 - 01/31/14 06:25 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

I'm spending a LOT of time with it, trying to decide if it is for me.

You are making me nervous

Me too surprised

#383288 - 01/31/14 06:58 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

I will try that asap.
I'm spending a LOT of time with it, trying to decide if it is for me. Lots of things to like for sure!

I think you went through much the same process with the PA3X.

I hope it works out for you, as it is quite a light instrument, but still packs a great sound.

How are the guitars so far...have you tried more?

Are they as good or nearly as good as your Korg's?

Ian

#383301 - 01/31/14 08:13 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

going through the manual for 2nd time. Dnj: you can "specify to reserve the audio file that should be played next". So I hope I can be able to record different chords, arps, whatever and match them up to live play. make sense, but fast changes might inhibit.

#383302 - 01/31/14 08:15 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I have not experimented with the audio loops, but you can assign one to each of top 7 keys, or to switches on the FC7.
Them seem to be instantly available after assignment.

#383305 - 01/31/14 08:19 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

If I were to decide against the BK9, it would be for these reasons alone:
1. No text display
2. No Vocal Harmonizer
These two things make it necessary to carry and hook up more peripheral gear.
3. That's about it actually. You can make it do about anything you like with a little work and ingenuity. For example, I'm looking at workarounds for lack of break/fill, and there are some.

#383307 - 01/31/14 08:28 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Don,

Is it easy to set up a series of sounds and a style quickly, as in an unexpected request for a tune using instruments you don't often use?

i.e. on the Tyros4 or PSR you can temporarily change the style's four OTS sounds without storing the style. Not lightning fast, but quick nonetheless.

Even if you only have to change one sound, it's still pretty convenient.

When you reload or change the style the OTS returns to what was there previously.

What features of the BK-9 make it a keeper, if you could find workarounds for the problems?

Ian

#383309 - 01/31/14 08:56 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Vocal harmony I was using less and less. Why not audio loop your harmony (real voice)? You can loop an entire audio and crop it by assigning to the intro buttons, or you could just sing harmony as the song goes and it will sync with the lead voice.

Lyrics I will use my iPad (incredible).

#383315 - 01/31/14 10:17 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Ian, yes it is quite easy. And you can change the OTS settings without saving them.
You can set up a Favorites Bank of nine of your best sounds and call any of them up with one button. Also I have assign a foot switch to toggle between Upper one and Upper two sounds.
The Favorites work the same way if you have Performance list pulled up. One touch instant recall for you favorite 9 performances. After that you can scroll, or push Numeric button and then enter the number for the sound, style or performance, depending on which page is open on the right-hand display.
Very neat!
The real time controls are way better than I thought they would be.
What I'm fighting is changing the way I like to do things. I am very please with the sounds, styles and operation. It's a great keyboard. May or may not be the best fit for me at this time, but I'm going to give it a thorough chance to be!
At this point, I must have, in addition to the BK9, a laptop, a Harmonizer, and FC7, a volume pedal, a Sustain pedal, a Control pedal, and another pedal for the Harmonizer. Plus all these things need room to plug in wall warts and cables to connect everything.
I am a little spoiled by the PA3X. ALL self-contained with only the EC5 pedal board (three pounds, I'm guessing.)
But that's not comparing apples to apples, there is a $2,000. difference in price!
I'm having fun doing this. So far.

#383316 - 01/31/14 10:21 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Zuki,
I really don't want to do all that recording and looping. Just wanta push the button and have harmony. I don't use it nearly as much these days, but some songs beg for it, so don't want to give it up.
I do too many hundreds of songs from requests to prepare all of them ahead of time. Now, if the audio loops would follow chords, that might be a different ball game!
I could sit and jam with these organs, pianos and even guitars all night, trying out all the styles. In fact that's just what I've been doing.

#383322 - 02/01/14 12:27 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO

For example, I'm looking at workarounds for lack of break/fill, and there are some.

When I had mt E60, I remember the best workaround was to use the short intro 1 as a break. As it is only one bar long, it fits perfectly.

Why not audio loop your harmony (real voice)?

That was indeed the first thought that I had when I first looked at BK9. And Diki confirmed it should be possible... But that is a little bit of work. A workaround...

Edited by adimatis (02/01/14 12:32 AM)

#383324 - 02/01/14 01:00 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I sometimes use the style creator ASSEMBLY to put all the parts from the one bar ENDING ONE (except for the drums) into INTRO ONE, which is usually one bar, as Adimatis says above.

I then remove/delete any INTRO ONE drum parts that don't belong, like maybe a stick (or hi-hat) count-in.

The beauty of using the INTRO ONE is that when you use it as a stop/fill/break, the style always returns to the last MAIN VARIATION you were on, OR the one you select just before using the INTRO ONE.

You can also hit the INTRO ONE button a bar ahead of where you want the stop/fill/break to occur.

I do all my custom/edited styles in this way...works really well.

It's easier, more effective, and sounds better than just using a foot-switch to do a stop at a turnaround or end of verse/chorus.

Ian

#383340 - 02/01/14 07:33 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Don, understand you need more a turnkey system because of your busy schedule. This is one time I have to just study and set up things. Might never play out again ???

I am very interested in the audio function (the kid is coming back in me smile ). If it will do what I want, I would take it just for that. The "next up" loop would allow almost anything (different chords, etc).

I keep reading and will be ready for the board next week.

Thanks for sharing your findings and thoughts. I'll do the same in time.

#383349 - 02/01/14 08:04 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

1. No text display
2. No Vocal Harmonizer
3. That's about it actually. You can make it do about anything you like with a little work and ingenuity. For example, I'm looking at workarounds for lack of break/fill, and there are some.

Don
Wouldn't the additon of an Ipad solve those problems.? I really believe it was Rolands intention that the two be used together to expand the BK9's capabilities. As its stands alone its fine but to push the capabilities add the IPad. And Fran mentioned an IPAD Harmony App coming so your there.

#383363 - 02/01/14 09:28 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Thing about using the intro one as a break/fill is that if you are not on Variation one, you must push two buttons to activate it.

#383367 - 02/01/14 09:42 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Yep, but I had no problem with doing the two button thing on the Yamahas...and most time I wanted to return to the Variation I was on at that point, usually "C" or "D" so it was usually one button. The regular fill on the Yamaha is activated by the same button as used for the Main Variation...of course it can be shut off, or by-passed by pressing the Variation button twice in succession quickly.

The other advantage of being able to pre-set the INTRO 1 based stop/fill ahead of time...very useful.

When I did a clinic or demo on an instrument with only factory styles, I often used ENDING 1 as a stop fill, but you had to be careful to hit the Main Variation button again before the ending completed it's cycle...also, didn't work so well on ENDING 1 if it was two or three bars long with a ritardando.

Again. it's all what we individually find useful, which is the beauty of the flexibility of today's arrangers.

Ian

#383368 - 02/01/14 09:46 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Ian, the thing about the Rolands is that there is only one intro and one ending button. You have to quickly press intro and variation one together to get intro one, unless you are already playng in variation one, which I seldom am when i need a Break/fill.
This was not a problem on BK7m because each could be addressed individually via midi. I could get a Behringer midi foot controller, but that's just more gear to buy and carry.
It's not a deal breaker, but an annoyance.

#383369 - 02/01/14 10:08 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, Yamaha makes a real nice keyboard, PSR-S950, that I KNOW you will enjoy playing. wink See, I told you to keep it! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#383371 - 02/01/14 10:14 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Thing about using the intro one as a break/fill is that if you are not on Variation one, you must push two buttons to activate it.

Don maybe the KORG PA900 is a MUCH Better fit ALL AROUND for Your needs? Light, VH, Big display lyrics etc,...just sayin' wink

#383373 - 02/01/14 10:17 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

No 950 at this point for sure. I'm going to run over and play Deane's PA900.
I still like the BK9 a lot. We'll see.

#383377 - 02/01/14 10:22 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

I'm going to run over and play Deane's PA900.
We'll see.

OH MY!!! rolleyes the wheels are turning ......bring the BK9 for a trade rotf2 just sayin' cool2

#383394 - 02/01/14 11:18 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I understand, Don...I could also assign a footswitch to trigger INTRO 1, but I'm very used to doing it with my fingers via the buttons. We sorta get the movements down like a choreography.

I do remember the Roland arrangers of years ago had a different system where by each variation could have an "advanced" setting with a fill to it or the Original. It wasn't any harder...just different.

I'm too damn lazy to want to use (and learn) another system, especially with having so many years with the Yamaha setup...also I'm not too fussy about using two different ones, especially where one might have a touch screen, and the other doesn't.

I've been doing the Yamaha way of accomplishing things for so long, it's second nature, and I can concentrate more on actually playing the music.

I admire those using several brands of arrangers, but I'm at the point where I want to keep it simple.

It's good to see you are giving the BK-9 a very fair chance...it is a fine instrument.

Ian

#383398 - 02/01/14 11:46 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

My workaround for no Break/Fill is to have the Variation selection on the FC-7, along with the Break. So, you go 'Press Break' on the 'one', count a beat or two, then press the next Variation you want, the fill comes in halfway through, and the next Variation comes up. Simple.

I'd recommend putting the Break on switch 7, well away from the Variation 1-4 at the other end of the FC-7, to stop you accidently hitting it, other than that, it has the advantage over just ONE Break/Fill that you now have SIX (depending on where you are going to, and coming from).

No, it's not perfect, but it's not as hard as some make out.

Personally, if I were you and things like the two button system for Endings bugs you (mind you, the two simultaneous button system for the Chord Sequencer on Korg's drives e equally crazy!), I'd look into a very small, very cheap MIDI button bank, and program the specific Endings to four of the buttons.

But overall, if you can handle having to hit two buttons to do ONE thing on the Korg, you can probably learn to do it on a Roland!

#383400 - 02/01/14 11:57 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bachus Offline

1. No text display
2. No Vocal Harmonizer

Don
Wouldn't the additon of an Ipad solve those problems.? I really believe it was Rolands intention that the two be used together to expand the BK9's capabilities. As its stands alone its fine but to push the capabilities add the IPad. And Fran mentioned an IPAD Harmony App coming so your there.

Ipad is not really multi tasking, so you either have text display or vocal harmony...

Unless Roland puts everything in a single app...

But i totally agree, that Roland intended the use of a BK9 with an ipad... This way they kept the instrument atleast €400 cheeper.... Good call i would say, one advise however, if you intend people to use your arranger with an ipad, integrate a stand for it.

#383406 - 02/01/14 12:13 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

If you are locked into VH, I honestly can't think of an arranger VH (even the TOTL ones) that comes even close to the latest standalones.

Overall, I'm rather pleased I didn't have to pay for something I'd never use (or sound naff if I did), and that Roland allow me to pick and choose the BEST one for my needs from whoever makes it...

Overall, though, most of the Roland iPad apps are there for either editing Performances, or selecting them in the first place. So, if the app boots up quick enough, no reason you can't switch between them quickly on the gig. You don't really NEED to run two at the same time, for this purpose, at least.

#383407 - 02/01/14 12:17 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Don shopuld be back Driving a korg by the weeks end.. cool2

#383411 - 02/01/14 12:26 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

As you would be going back to your PSR a few weeks after getting a BK-9.

You always go back to that first love!

#383414 - 02/01/14 12:28 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

As you would be going back to your PSR a few weeks after getting a BK-9.

You always go back to that first love!

Happy S950 1st Anniversary to me!! party

#383419 - 02/01/14 12:49 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

1 year and counting? Only nine more to go...

#383425 - 02/01/14 01:06 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Diki, that's exactly what I'm doing-break on #7. I have Upper 1/2 switch on #1, and the rest as they are labeled.
I have external VH (Harmony M) and that pedal is by my left foot, then the FC7, then sustain pedal, volume pedal. All I need is two more feet!

#383427 - 02/01/14 01:06 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

1 year and counting? Only nine more to go...

Next Sseries model is rumored to be shown at Musicmesse very soon... coffee

#383431 - 02/01/14 01:11 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Don shopuld be back Driving a korg by the weeks end.. cool2

I'd hazard a guess and say that DonM likes the BK-9, but LOVES the Korg PA3X.

I think the BK-9 is just a teensy weensy ittsy bittsy too fiddly with needing add-ons and stuff, whereas the Korg has it all in one instrument.

One thing for sure, he is giving it a good honest unbiased try-out, but the Korg has the guitars he likes and is simpler overall.

Who knows? Maybe the BK-9 will find it's way under Fran's fingers before too long?

Ian

#383436 - 02/01/14 01:27 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Hard to not love something a good $2000 more than the BK-9 (for the 76). Oh, and nearly DOUBLE the weight (good Lord! can't believe I'm even mentioning weight loss as a positive!).

For me, there are 76's, and then there's simply everything else I wouldn't use. So, given that the PA3X 76, the T5 76 and the BK-9 are pretty much the only players in this game (unless you want to risk the spotty support from Ketron in the US), you've got at LEAST a $2000 penalty for using anything other than a BK-9, and a 20lbs weight penalty.

Tough decision!

#383437 - 02/01/14 01:29 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

So Donny, you are basically saying that, the ONLY reason you've managed to hold on to the S950 for a year is, Yamaha haven't actually MADE something newer yet? Hardly an achievement if you aren't offered a choice, is it? LOL

#383441 - 02/01/14 01:36 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I wonder if it will be a hit with Fran, although I'd be surprised if he didn't like it?

Ian

#383443 - 02/01/14 01:38 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
All I need is two more feet!

That's just plain greedy. Most guys just wish for two more INCHES smile smile.

chas

#383444 - 02/01/14 01:39 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

No choices - he could have had a Tyros5, MOX8, lots of neat stuff. He chose what was right for him at the time, an arranger that had all the great features he required for his jobs, well within his price range, easy to transport - what more could you ask?

Gary cool

#383449 - 02/01/14 01:48 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

'what more could you ask?'

76 keys, decent action, audio features that WORK, great B3 (great everything, actually!), live sound, Chord Sequencer, iPad integration, multi-switch pedal input...

You know, all that stuff Donny don't use!

#383453 - 02/01/14 01:57 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

And guess what, neither does most people - other than YOU. The last time I used an organ voice was when I played Green Onions and that was 10 years ago. So lets hear some demos by YOU that highlight all those features YOU use.

Gary cool

#383462 - 02/01/14 03:22 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Don maybe the KORG PA900 is a MUCH Better fit ALL AROUND for Your needs? Light, VH, Big display lyrics etc,...just sayin' wink

I LOVE mine ... keys
... and I used it on a gig for the first time last night ... played a dinner dance at a local CC - 225 people - played with my loooong time friend Frank - the sax player from the band we had in NY ... I think the last time we played together was about 5-6 years ago and it could have been yesterday (which come to think of it, IT WAS - laugh2 ) ... but he is SUCH a good musician - has loved and played jazz since he was about 13 years old - and he has such a good ear that he was able to play even the songs we had never played together before ... many, many compliments from the audience ... I LOVE playing with other musicians !!! ...
and before Donny even asks, regretfully I didn't record anything - didn't even get to take pictures this time ... mad

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
And guess what, neither does most people - other than YOU. The last time I used an organ voice was when I played Green Onions and that was 10 years ago. So lets hear some demos by YOU that highlight all those features YOU use.
Gary cool

Gary ... I might have to disagree with you on this one ... I would think - and HOPE - that more players are using the sounds and features of their KBs ... perhaps not as much as Diki, but using them ...
I am also somewhat surprised at your comment about the organ sounds, as I probably have an organ voice set as an STS on half of my custom styles on the KORG and use them on all my gigs at some point or another ... I used them on a good number of songs last night both as back-up to the sax player and on my own solos ... and Frank even commented about how good the organ sounds were ...

#383463 - 02/01/14 03:25 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles

chas

That's what my wife wishes for. I'm pretty happy with what I've got!

#383464 - 02/01/14 03:30 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles

chas

That's what my wife wishes for. I'm pretty happy with what I've got!

2 more inches for what? eek2 .....we're lucky we even wake up in the morning at all !!! Now your two fingers are your best friend! rotf2 The only thing thats gonna excite you now is a NEW Arranger KB!! cool2 keys

Edited by Dnj (02/01/14 03:31 PM)

#383470 - 02/01/14 03:52 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Gary, there's enough of my work posted already here and at Roland-arranger.com that, if you're looking for proof I am not talking off the top of my head, there it is!

It's not my intention to one-up anyone here in the playing department, I simply hope that the body of my work so far allows me to post without this kind of response.

Apparently not.

#383474 - 02/01/14 04:46 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Diki, Obviously, I have no reason to frequent the Roland Forum - therefore, the only posts of your work I've seen, or heard, were the few you posted here, and of course on that CD you gave me a decade ago.

Tony, most of the guys I know in this part of the world, which isn't nearly as many as there were a decade ago, rarely use the organ voices. Granted, they may sound great, regardless of the keyboard, but they're rarely used. I hear lots of pianos, guitars, saxes, but not very often when I hear an organ. Even in the three piece combos playing the bars and clubs. I guess in some areas they're still popular, but just not here.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/01/14 04:47 PM)

#383476 - 02/01/14 05:10 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I don't use organ sounds as often as I used to, mainly because today's keyboards offer so many other great realistic sounds. Organ sounds sometimes tend to date the music to a certain era, although, sometimes you may want that to happen.

There are probably about 10 songs I do that feature the Hammond type sound, as in A Whiter Shade Of Pale, or Combo Organ for 96 Tears etc.

The primary sounds I use are: Piano, Ac.Guitar, SA2 BreathySax, Strings, SA2 Harmonica, SA2Jazz Trumpet, Telecaster, and a nice tonewheel patch called WhiterBars.

The special sounds are programmed in my custom styles' OTS.

Ian

#383481 - 02/01/14 06:28 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Tony, most of the guys I know in this part of the world, which isn't nearly as many as there were a decade ago, rarely use the organ voices. Granted, they may sound great, regardless of the keyboard, but they're rarely used. I hear lots of pianos, guitars, saxes, but not very often when I hear an organ. Even in the three piece combos playing the bars and clubs. I guess in some areas they're still popular, but just not here.
Gary cool

... but why would that stop YOU from using them ??? ... IMHO, the organ sounds are so much better than the sax sounds, plus, at least an organ is a keyboard instrument ... keys grin

Edited by tony mads usa (02/01/14 06:29 PM)

#383485 - 02/01/14 07:28 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Organ at least has the advantage of not being a sound you NEED to use the bender on a lot. Sax, without that, sounds totally wrong to me...

Mind you, organ without a swell pedal is just as silly!

Much of your need for organ depends on what you play. Play R&B, funk, NOLA funk, reggae, old school rock (Purple, Zeppelin), gospel, americana, you are going to want the Hammond bigtime!

And Gary... now you have an excuse to go there! Check out the 'Renditions' sub forum. Not a whole lot of BK-9 yet, mostly G70, bit of BK-7m.

#383487 - 02/01/14 07:46 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Diki has some good stuff on there!
One of the Supernatural Saxs won't let me use the joystick to bend notes, it does some sort of big slide thing. Rather do it myself. Maybe it can be changed; I haven't looked.

#383498 - 02/02/14 01:22 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

There are some parameters in the SuperNatural edit section (hold the User Tone/SuperNatural button down). One of them is Bend Mode. Set it to OFF, now the sound bends normally.

Sadly, the gliss behavior is default, so call the Tone up from Favorites or the front panel, it is going to revert to that behavior (and that parameter is not too quick to get to, there's no way to assign it to any SW or the FC-7). Most of the wind and brass sounds default to something other than a bend. A mistake, IMHO...

But make a Performance that calls it, you can store the Bend parameter.

On the whole, although not bad, the SN winds and brass need refining. My favorite is the trumpet, which if you bend it only a VERY little amount, starts to growl quite nicely. But the glissing is all wrong. Too big a range... Might have been OK if the first bit of the bender actually bent, and then it turned into lip gliss behavior for wider moves. But no!

One or the other.

Thanks for the shout out, BTW. I should get some new stuff up there. I guess you are only as good as your LAST demo, 'round here, LOL

#383527 - 02/02/14 09:50 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

You owe it to humanity to share more of your talent! smile

#383541 - 02/02/14 11:09 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Humanity seems well capable of going to hell without MY helping it get there faster!

On the whole, although they don't quite do the same mono behavior, I honestly prefer many of the normal saxes over the SN sax. Yamaha still rules, in this category.

But at least Roland are in the game. The SN guitars are to die for, and that xylophone patch (you tried using the mod bender with it?) is the best ever (now I want marimba, barafon and steel drums that do the same!), and the pianos and Rhodes are very nice.

I think the main problem with the gliss behavior is, it seems to be designed for a keyboard with a pitch WHEEL, not the bend lever. The scaling seems to abrupt. It might be possible to get this adjusted in an update, but who KNOWS what Roland are up to these days..? It can't be a comfortable feeling, working for Roland EU these days!

#383601 - 02/03/14 09:45 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Don when is the new PA900 arriving....we await your first thoughts?

#383603 - 02/03/14 09:47 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny ... quit stirring the pot. That's Fran's job.
smile

#383607 - 02/03/14 09:59 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I'm actually meeting Hammer tomorrow to borrow his PA900 for a few days and compare it side by side to the BK9.
So many great choices!

#383608 - 02/03/14 09:59 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
smile

Nah hes too old....he wont even answer his cell phone lately rotf2

#383610 - 02/03/14 10:04 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
smile

Nah hes too old....he wont even answer his cell phone lately rotf2

That's because it was removed from his cell...

Ian

#383624 - 02/03/14 12:00 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Everyone has my cell phone number lately..Donny gives it out to everyone..even his neighborhood street walkers..

A girl told me it was on the bathroom wall at the CrabTrap...something about "want a good time:..

#383625 - 02/03/14 12:01 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

A girl told me it was on the bathroom wall at the CrabTrap...something about "want a good time:..

Yeah, and what WAS that girl doing in the MEN'S ROOM?????

#383627 - 02/03/14 12:03 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

#383629 - 02/03/14 12:10 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

From what I have read here on SZ..It sure sounds like the BK9 is better than the PA900... smile

It sounds like the BK chord sequencer is better, plus it can save the CS files..Drawbar organ and sim...no contest BK wins..

Just from what I know about BK sounds..I am sure the piano, drums, scats, organs,(better on BK) and apparently the guitars now give the others a run for the money..

Even though there are too many button pushes ..still the BK has the best edit tools..

The biggie for the PA900..the touch screen, and although not my favorite system...the vocal harmonizer..and for some folks..speakers..

Multi pads for the Korg..audio keys for the Roland..The audio keys seem more interesting to me..

Hopefully Don can make a good comparison...with the important stuff..

For now, I am content with what I have...no interest in the PA900, and just curious about the BK9.. wink

#383634 - 02/03/14 12:28 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

That's the thing about these comparisons...different judges have different verdicts.

Ian

#383635 - 02/03/14 12:42 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

From what I have read here on SZ..It sure sounds like the BK9 is better than the PA900... smile

It sounds like the BK chord sequencer is better, plus it can save the CS files..Drawbar organ and sim...no contest BK wins..

Just from what I know about BK sounds..I am sure the piano, drums, scats, organs,(better on BK) and apparently the guitars now give the others a run for the money..

Even though there are too many button pushes ..still the BK has the best edit tools..

The biggie for the PA900..the touch screen, and although not my favorite system...the vocal harmonizer..and for some folks..speakers..

Multi pads for the Korg..audio keys for the Roland..The audio keys seem more interesting to me..

Hopefully Don can make a good comparison...with the important stuff..

For now, I am content with what I have...no interest in the PA900, and just curious about the BK9.. wink

besides No Vocal harmony onboard..A big NO NO is that the BK9 doesn't have LYRICS readout except for SMF..for those that need it...I guess it will require a iPad to do so?

#383636 - 02/03/14 12:43 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
That's the thing about these comparisons...different judges have different verdicts.
Ian

... sounds like the Amanda Knox case ... eek2 (not to steal the thread) ...

#383639 - 02/03/14 12:59 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
...compare it side by side to the BK9.

I am SO looking forward for your review!...
These two are indeed THE keyboards that will give you best for the price (Sorry, I cannot put S950 here). Different, but equally interesting.

#383642 - 02/03/14 01:29 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Fran Carango]
zuki Offline

and just curious about the BK9.. wink

My BK9 is laying next to me, dbl boxed, awaiting my unpacking. With this uncertainty going around, I'm afraid to open it!

Edited by zuki (02/03/14 01:30 PM)

#383643 - 02/03/14 01:30 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

all three MOTL, BK9, Pa900, S950 sound fantastic thats not the issue anymore,.....it's the features of each KB that players must see if they meet their needs & can workaround, like no FC5 pedal for the Korg, No lyrics read for Roland..etc, etc, ...

#383645 - 02/03/14 01:46 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

and just curious about the BK9.. wink

My BK9 is laying next to me, dbl boxed, awaiting my unpacking. With this uncertainty going around, I'm afraid to open it!

Try to ignore the negatives for now, as we all have different ideas on what constitutes an ideal arranger.

Who knows? It may turn out to be just what you were looking for, Jim. Certainly, the sounds (and styles) are not going to be a problem, as in many cases, it seems to sound better than the G-70...at least from the demos I've heard.

But I see your point...usually Fran is all over a new product by Roland and goes the extra bit to try them out ASAP...he seemed more enthusiastic about trying the Prelude and GW-8, and this BK-9 sure seems to promise much better results.

There's a rumor going around he's a Roland man, yuh know!

In any case, good luck and happy exploring, and I'm looking forward to your verdict, Your Honor...

Ian

#383648 - 02/03/14 02:03 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Ian, you're always the consummate gentleman. Just for you - I am unveiling tonight. Report later...........

#383650 - 02/03/14 02:23 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

I'm actually meeting Hammer tomorrow to borrow his PA900 for a few days and compare it side by side to the BK9.
So many great choices!

Don ... not that I am going to do anything different - I am a Pa900 man for the foreseeable future (but wait - who CAN foresee the future ??? ) ...
Seriously I just think your comparison will make interesting reading ...

#383662 - 02/03/14 03:28 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Ian, you're always the consummate gentleman. Just for you - I am unveiling tonight. Report later...........

I cant wait for your in depth review Zuki....
I hope its what your looking for only one way to find out...if not you can return it right?

#383673 - 02/03/14 04:30 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Zuki,
I think you'll love it. I do. I just want to explore all options while I have the opportunity.

#383705 - 02/04/14 06:04 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Jim....JIM!!!!!....Are you awake?

Well, tell us what you think so far.... smile

#383707 - 02/04/14 06:43 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Interesting board. Couldn't get R1 sounds until I realized my sustain pedal was in the expression slot. SO, keep things in perspective when you hear my analysis smile

#383750 - 02/04/14 11:07 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

I have to admit, I'm also a little perplexed as to why Fran hasn't got a BK-9 to try out yet, given how he was all over the Prelude and GW-8. BK-9 is FAR better, and lighter too..!

#383755 - 02/04/14 11:30 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

I have to admit, I'm also a little perplexed as to why Fran hasn't got a BK-9 to try out yet, given how he was all over the Prelude and GW-8. BK-9 is FAR better, and lighter too..!

no lyrics TXT display other then smf for starters & VH compared to the G70 ...rolleyes I'll let him describe the rest.
I'm sure he has reasons... confused1

Edited by Dnj (02/04/14 11:45 AM)

#383761 - 02/04/14 11:42 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Prelude and GW-8 had the same limitation... and no VH. At least he gave THEM a try. And the G70 can't display lyrics in style mode either. And that's still his #1 choice. Think again.

On the whole, as much posting about using laptops and iPads/Surface's to display charts and lyrics goes on here, I wonder why anyone gets worked up about lyrics not being in the keyboard itself..? How many here rely on JUST the arranger for charts and lyrics?

When a workaround is so easy, I simply have trouble understanding why it's a deal breaker...

#383774 - 02/04/14 12:59 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

I did buy a Prelude ..sight unseen...and a BK5 after a road test...Never a GW-8..

I haven't played a paying job since the last day of Sept (with the band)...so I am in no hurry to buy anything..I will wait till I play a BK9..although there would be no surprises for me..I know it has great sounds..like the BK5..I know the drawbar organ will be to my liking..(I like to play organ ..Gary)
The drums are unmatched..and all the editing is there..
I like that they added the 16 track sequencer, and the Chord sequencer..And I am pretty sure the audio keys could be fun..

The media player is the best that I have used..short of the MS..Great search tool and unlimted size..
The keybed I expect is like the Juno Stage..so it would be a good feel.

The biggie, I would much prefer a touch screen..I did get use to the BK5 screen, My eyes are still good, where most of you old guys would struggle.. smile
The extra button pushes ..are a pain, but I seen where updates improved the BK5, so there will be short cuts, if not now..down the road..

Lyrics not being read from a text stand point...Not interested...If I want lyrics, I simply use the SMF (the same file most make MP3's from)..and add the lyrics..It is much better and you can edit in realtime and use markers to boot..

There are plenty of tools on board to make it what ever you want...so you can see I know what the BK9 will be...maybe I am just waiting till SZoners dump their BK9 for under $1,500...you know...like the BK5's became available for $500 grin

Seriously, I am in no rush, I already play the best.. wink

Edited by Fran Carango (02/04/14 01:03 PM)

#383801 - 02/04/14 10:17 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Understood...

Check out the Tone and Drum Kit list, though. It's got a TON more sounds and kits. BK-5: 1,172 tones, 60 Drum Sets, BK-9 1,718 Tones, 77 Drum Kits.

And a bunch of those extra kits are from the SRX board... Tasty! Not to mention, for the first time EVER in a Roland arranger (I think), drum roll please...................

USER Drum Kits! ANY sound on ANY note!

Want that mirror layout from the Kurzweil's? No problem! (Anybody ever program drums on a Kurzweil? They have a non GM layout where the sounds are mirrored so LH and RH can play them all without getting tangled up - God, I wish GM had gone with that!)

Naturally, one SHOULD expect a lot more from a keyboard that is double the price. Trust me, Fran, it delivers. I played the BK-5 and wasn't really impressed. BK-9 impresses the hell out of me.

Hope the gigs start coming in again...

#383803 - 02/04/14 10:24 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Fran, I had the same reservations about the small screens, however it was not really a problem seeing them easily.
Plus if you use the Ipad the whole issue goes away.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online