SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 13 >
Topic Options
#382925 - 01/29/14 07:14 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Glad you like so much about this arranger so far...
Seems like it offers a lot for the money..

Did you try setting it up as a master keyboard?
Does it support midi over USB so i can plug it into my PC and controll some VSTīs
Can i assign different midi channels to the splits on the BK9?
Can i split the keyboard up in 3 or even more parts?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#382927 - 01/29/14 07:47 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Don+1 on all you said. Being able to choose a new Drum set and then go in and edit the individual instruments in that set is really cool.

Micro editing a DRUM KIT is one of ROLANDS strengths I used that all the time with my G70 & something I miss using a Yamaha arranger as some of my styles could really use that kind of editing snares, etc,....hey lets face it ALL Arrangers have their + & - workarounds is the name of the game depending on your needs...I would also suggest that you do this intense editing with your PA set up in the house and playing at
FULL PERFORMANCE VOLUME otherwise you could be in for a big surprise in a bad way on stage and will have to make many changes afterwards. Good luck everyone & lets hear some demos when your done also....as for myself I am just too busy to take on and setup a new KB at this time but down the road who knows?...I am approaching the 1 YEAR mark with my S-950 and honestly I'm comfortable where I am with it on stage.....will Yamaha release a new S series unit soon who knows? But I would certainly be ready to check it out if it has better features for my needs. have fun Boyz! keys

#382948 - 01/29/14 11:28 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Good advice Donny
Yes, I've had some surprizes with my edits when playing a real gig. And I hate trying to make changes in a live situation.
My main PA is 2 carvin 12" speakers and a yamaha Mixer. In my small studio I have 2 10" Carvins and their amazing small XP800 mixer. Pretty close but I just can't go gig loud in my small space. Thats why I got away from editing with headphones, too many surprizes later.

#382972 - 01/29/14 12:56 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just a "note". There are a few styles that were on the BK7m that are not on the BK9, including a couple of my favorites, such as Euro Ballad. I was able to find them and many more on www.createstyles.com
There is a one-time fee to join, but well worth it for anyone looking for styles for any arranger! I've been a member since it started.

#382975 - 01/29/14 01:01 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don ... that link is not working ...

#382976 - 01/29/14 01:02 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Just a "note". There are a few styles that were on the BK7m that are not on the BK9, including a couple of my favorites, such as Euro Ballad. I was able to find them and many more on www.createstyles.com
There is a one-time fee to join, but well worth it for anyone looking for styles for any arranger! I've been a member since it started.

link dont work????

#382978 - 01/29/14 01:05 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Good advice Donny
Yes, I've had some surprizes with my edits when playing a real gig. And I hate trying to make changes in a live situation.
My main PA is 2 carvin 12" speakers and a yamaha Mixer. In my small studio I have 2 10" Carvins and their amazing small XP800 mixer. Pretty close but I just can't go gig loud in my small space. Thats why I got away from editing with headphones, too many surprizes later.

if you have to rent a studio space for the day and play at your FULL performance volume ...I have done that many times .....believe me it will save you so much aggravation and redoing songs again & again down the road.. wink
BTW NO HEADPHONES WHILE EDITING ARRANGER KBS!!

Edited by Dnj (01/29/14 01:06 PM)

#382981 - 01/29/14 01:11 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Yes, please find that link. I'm bought a BK9 today. Will be in next week. Wish me luck - uncharted territory. Hope I don't compare too much vs the 3X.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#382991 - 01/29/14 01:40 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess if you wait by the river long enough.... LOL

I have a G70 and a BK-9 sitting next to each other right now. I'm afraid the keybed is NOT like the yummy G70 one. That one (they've been using it all the way back to the G800 and the A70 controller days) is by far the best plastic keyboard on the planet..! But it IS heavy (I've removed a few of them in my time), and would add considerably to the BK-9's light weight (you need a heavier case to support a heavier keybed). So I guess it's time to move on...

But it IS as good feeling as a PA3X or Tyros, albeit with no aftertouch. Dynamics are easily controlled, firm playing doesn't push it too hard, and organ smears and palm slides are comfortable, I don't get hung up on the corners too much (one of the strengths of the rounded off G70 keys). They are a hair shorter than G70 keys (which are almost full piano length), pretty much standard length for most synths.

I thought they would bother me, but I'm pleasantly surprised. This ain't no PSR!

One of the BEST things that the Makeup Tools do is allow you to quickly and easily offset the velocities of style and SMF Parts, and also offset the velocity of each individual drum sound. Combined with independent volume for them all, too. I can't tell you how GOOD this is, when it comes to editing styles from other arrangers. No two arrangers have their velocity splits for their sounds and drum kit sounds in the same place, and being able to quickly dial down a part with it's velocities too high, or bring up something too low allows you to use the full tonal range of today's modern velocity split sounds and drum kits.

If the two button ending or intro system is a pain, Don, you can always get a cheap MIDI fader/button bank, and each of the style Divisions is addressable with one MIDI command.

I don't know why the forum is all of a sudden agog with BK-9 demos and buzz, but all I can say is, it's about TIME..!

#382993 - 01/29/14 01:51 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I don't know why the forum is all of a sudden agog with BK-9 demos and buzz, but all I can say is, it's about TIME..!

Well its pretty much the newest kid on the block so by being publicly exposed like an inquisition in every which way now makes it easier to cast it aside when the next and greatest comes along soon maybe at Musicmesse..or what the BK9 can or cant do keeps the interested and pushes away the curious purchaser to look elsewhere.... cool2

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online