SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13 >
Topic Options
#383363 - 02/01/14 09:28 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thing about using the intro one as a break/fill is that if you are not on Variation one, you must push two buttons to activate it.

#383367 - 02/01/14 09:42 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yep, but I had no problem with doing the two button thing on the Yamahas...and most time I wanted to return to the Variation I was on at that point, usually "C" or "D" so it was usually one button. The regular fill on the Yamaha is activated by the same button as used for the Main Variation...of course it can be shut off, or by-passed by pressing the Variation button twice in succession quickly.

The other advantage of being able to pre-set the INTRO 1 based stop/fill ahead of time...very useful.

When I did a clinic or demo on an instrument with only factory styles, I often used ENDING 1 as a stop fill, but you had to be careful to hit the Main Variation button again before the ending completed it's cycle...also, didn't work so well on ENDING 1 if it was two or three bars long with a ritardando.

Again. it's all what we individually find useful, which is the beauty of the flexibility of today's arrangers.

Ian

#383368 - 02/01/14 09:46 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Ian, the thing about the Rolands is that there is only one intro and one ending button. You have to quickly press intro and variation one together to get intro one, unless you are already playng in variation one, which I seldom am when i need a Break/fill.
This was not a problem on BK7m because each could be addressed individually via midi. I could get a Behringer midi foot controller, but that's just more gear to buy and carry.
It's not a deal breaker, but an annoyance.

#383369 - 02/01/14 10:08 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, Yamaha makes a real nice keyboard, PSR-S950, that I KNOW you will enjoy playing. wink See, I told you to keep it! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#383371 - 02/01/14 10:14 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Thing about using the intro one as a break/fill is that if you are not on Variation one, you must push two buttons to activate it.

Don maybe the KORG PA900 is a MUCH Better fit ALL AROUND for Your needs? Light, VH, Big display lyrics etc,...just sayin' wink

#383373 - 02/01/14 10:17 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

No 950 at this point for sure. I'm going to run over and play Deane's PA900.
I still like the BK9 a lot. We'll see.

#383377 - 02/01/14 10:22 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

I'm going to run over and play Deane's PA900.
We'll see.

OH MY!!! rolleyes the wheels are turning ......bring the BK9 for a trade rotf2 just sayin' cool2

#383394 - 02/01/14 11:18 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I understand, Don...I could also assign a footswitch to trigger INTRO 1, but I'm very used to doing it with my fingers via the buttons. We sorta get the movements down like a choreography.

I do remember the Roland arrangers of years ago had a different system where by each variation could have an "advanced" setting with a fill to it or the Original. It wasn't any harder...just different.

I'm too damn lazy to want to use (and learn) another system, especially with having so many years with the Yamaha setup...also I'm not too fussy about using two different ones, especially where one might have a touch screen, and the other doesn't.

I've been doing the Yamaha way of accomplishing things for so long, it's second nature, and I can concentrate more on actually playing the music.

I admire those using several brands of arrangers, but I'm at the point where I want to keep it simple.

It's good to see you are giving the BK-9 a very fair chance...it is a fine instrument.

Ian

#383398 - 02/01/14 11:46 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My workaround for no Break/Fill is to have the Variation selection on the FC-7, along with the Break. So, you go 'Press Break' on the 'one', count a beat or two, then press the next Variation you want, the fill comes in halfway through, and the next Variation comes up. Simple.

I'd recommend putting the Break on switch 7, well away from the Variation 1-4 at the other end of the FC-7, to stop you accidently hitting it, other than that, it has the advantage over just ONE Break/Fill that you now have SIX (depending on where you are going to, and coming from).

No, it's not perfect, but it's not as hard as some make out.

Personally, if I were you and things like the two button system for Endings bugs you (mind you, the two simultaneous button system for the Chord Sequencer on Korg's drives e equally crazy!), I'd look into a very small, very cheap MIDI button bank, and program the specific Endings to four of the buttons.

But overall, if you can handle having to hit two buttons to do ONE thing on the Korg, you can probably learn to do it on a Roland!

#383400 - 02/01/14 11:57 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
If I were to decide against the BK9, it would be for these reasons alone:
1. No text display
2. No Vocal Harmonizer
These two things make it necessary to carry and hook up more peripheral gear.
3. That's about it actually. You can make it do about anything you like with a little work and ingenuity. For example, I'm looking at workarounds for lack of break/fill, and there are some.

Don
Wouldn't the additon of an Ipad solve those problems.? I really believe it was Rolands intention that the two be used together to expand the BK9's capabilities. As its stands alone its fine but to push the capabilities add the IPad. And Fran mentioned an IPAD Harmony App coming so your there.

Ipad is not really multi tasking, so you either have text display or vocal harmony...

Unless Roland puts everything in a single app...

But i totally agree, that Roland intended the use of a BK9 with an ipad... This way they kept the instrument atleast €400 cheeper.... Good call i would say, one advise however, if you intend people to use your arranger with an ipad, integrate a stand for it.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online