SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#383476 - 02/01/14 05:10 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don't use organ sounds as often as I used to, mainly because today's keyboards offer so many other great realistic sounds. Organ sounds sometimes tend to date the music to a certain era, although, sometimes you may want that to happen.

There are probably about 10 songs I do that feature the Hammond type sound, as in A Whiter Shade Of Pale, or Combo Organ for 96 Tears etc.

The primary sounds I use are: Piano, Ac.Guitar, SA2 BreathySax, Strings, SA2 Harmonica, SA2Jazz Trumpet, Telecaster, and a nice tonewheel patch called WhiterBars.

The special sounds are programmed in my custom styles' OTS.

Ian

#383481 - 02/01/14 06:28 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Tony, most of the guys I know in this part of the world, which isn't nearly as many as there were a decade ago, rarely use the organ voices. Granted, they may sound great, regardless of the keyboard, but they're rarely used. I hear lots of pianos, guitars, saxes, but not very often when I hear an organ. Even in the three piece combos playing the bars and clubs. I guess in some areas they're still popular, but just not here.
Gary cool

... but why would that stop YOU from using them ??? ... IMHO, the organ sounds are so much better than the sax sounds, plus, at least an organ is a keyboard instrument ... keys grin

Edited by tony mads usa (02/01/14 06:29 PM)

#383485 - 02/01/14 07:28 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Organ at least has the advantage of not being a sound you NEED to use the bender on a lot. Sax, without that, sounds totally wrong to me...

Mind you, organ without a swell pedal is just as silly!

Much of your need for organ depends on what you play. Play R&B, funk, NOLA funk, reggae, old school rock (Purple, Zeppelin), gospel, americana, you are going to want the Hammond bigtime!

And Gary... now you have an excuse to go there! Check out the 'Renditions' sub forum. Not a whole lot of BK-9 yet, mostly G70, bit of BK-7m.

#383487 - 02/01/14 07:46 PM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Diki has some good stuff on there!
One of the Supernatural Saxs won't let me use the joystick to bend notes, it does some sort of big slide thing. Rather do it myself. Maybe it can be changed; I haven't looked.

#383498 - 02/02/14 01:22 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

There are some parameters in the SuperNatural edit section (hold the User Tone/SuperNatural button down). One of them is Bend Mode. Set it to OFF, now the sound bends normally.

Sadly, the gliss behavior is default, so call the Tone up from Favorites or the front panel, it is going to revert to that behavior (and that parameter is not too quick to get to, there's no way to assign it to any SW or the FC-7). Most of the wind and brass sounds default to something other than a bend. A mistake, IMHO...

But make a Performance that calls it, you can store the Bend parameter.

On the whole, although not bad, the SN winds and brass need refining. My favorite is the trumpet, which if you bend it only a VERY little amount, starts to growl quite nicely. But the glissing is all wrong. Too big a range... Might have been OK if the first bit of the bender actually bent, and then it turned into lip gliss behavior for wider moves. But no!

One or the other.

Thanks for the shout out, BTW. I should get some new stuff up there. I guess you are only as good as your LAST demo, 'round here, LOL

#383527 - 02/02/14 09:50 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

You owe it to humanity to share more of your talent! smile

#383541 - 02/02/14 11:09 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Online   content

Humanity seems well capable of going to hell without MY helping it get there faster!

On the whole, although they don't quite do the same mono behavior, I honestly prefer many of the normal saxes over the SN sax. Yamaha still rules, in this category.

But at least Roland are in the game. The SN guitars are to die for, and that xylophone patch (you tried using the mod bender with it?) is the best ever (now I want marimba, barafon and steel drums that do the same!), and the pianos and Rhodes are very nice.

I think the main problem with the gliss behavior is, it seems to be designed for a keyboard with a pitch WHEEL, not the bend lever. The scaling seems to abrupt. It might be possible to get this adjusted in an update, but who KNOWS what Roland are up to these days..? It can't be a comfortable feeling, working for Roland EU these days!

#383601 - 02/03/14 09:45 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Don when is the new PA900 arriving....we await your first thoughts?

#383603 - 02/03/14 09:47 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny ... quit stirring the pot. That's Fran's job.
smile

#383607 - 02/03/14 09:59 AM Re: Don Mason....BK-9 review so far? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I'm actually meeting Hammer tomorrow to borrow his PA900 for a few days and compare it side by side to the BK9.
So many great choices!

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online