SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#356362 - 12/11/12 01:29 AM Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hi,

As you may have read I recently purchased the PSR-S750 in addition to my PA800. Not sure though it will be a keeper as I have always been struggling with Yamaha arrangers. Here is the catch:
With Korg arrangers ( and even more so with Ketron) you can adjust the drums on the fly while playing etc. Within a drumset you can mute certain parts e.g. the hi-hat or the (dominant) bassdrum, etc. you can even decide individual volumes for each item in the drumset, etc.) With the PSR drumsets you are limited in as far as I know to what the drumset offers and you cannot influence them. I find it often annoying going into 2 or 3 variation that all hell breaks loose so to speak with the arrival of the bass and snaredrums. I guess there is no way around it, but if there is I would beseech those who are aware of it to let me know.
Also perhaps has anyone got "light " drum sets available.
By light I mean a drumset that has lots of brushes, congas, shakers etc. but no (or no heavy) bassdrums and snares.......
Wonder if anyone can help me out here.

regards,
John

#356373 - 12/11/12 04:52 AM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: john smies]
psr30000 Offline

Wishing somebody professionally talk about that.

#356375 - 12/11/12 05:46 AM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: john smies]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There are lots of drum kits in the keyboard - why not just modify the style with one of the more subdued kits, brush, etc, then save the style file to a custom name.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#356378 - 12/11/12 05:59 AM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
There are lots of drum kits in the keyboard - why not just modify the style with one of the more subdued kits, brush, etc, then save the style file to a custom name.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

You can also leave the style alone, and change the drumkit in the song registration that calls up the style.

If you are going to edit the style you can create a different drum for each section using the style editor.

#356383 - 12/11/12 06:50 AM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: Beakybird]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
You can somewhat adjust the drum part within a style

Mixing Console / RHY2 / Filter / Harmonic Content /

By increasing the Harmonic Content, you may be surprised by how much more brushes sound 'out front' while the snares, toms, and bass drums are more subdued. Find the right setting, and save as a style or reg.

And of course you could always use your favorite Korg/Yamaha setup...pair your PA800 with the S950.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#356394 - 12/11/12 08:33 AM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: Beakybird]
john smies Offline

Gary cool
[/quote]

If you are going to edit the style you can create a different drum for each section using the style editor. [/quote]

How do I do that on the PSR -750 ? Must have missed something here or be too used to Korg's programming. Can I re-arrange a drumset for example by leaving out the bassdrum ?

Larry and Gary, thanks but those solutions are not what I am looking for. Perhaps someone has drumkits for the PSR that are more subdued like the ones you would expect in UNPLUGGED STYLES. That is the kind of feel that I am looking for.

regards,
John

#356445 - 12/11/12 04:32 PM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: john smies]
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi John,

Only the Tyros 4 has individual drum part editing of each part in a single drum track.

All u can do with the PSR is EQ and add effects to the entire track. u can however customise a style to create multiple drum tracks that each have different Volumes and parameters.
example: Drum Track 1 - bass kick only.
Drum Track 2 - snares and hi hats
Drum Track 3 - brushes and so forth - but u are still limited to a total of 8 tracks per style - so u will be sacrificing other style parts.

Nick

#356469 - 12/12/12 12:49 AM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: Nick G]
john smies Offline

thanks Nick, that seems like an option worth trying. I already suspected the drums could not be "manipulated " the way they can in e.g. the Tyros 4, let alone the KOrgs. In this respect the KOrgs (and Ketron better still ) are and have been light years ahead of Yamaha. Nevermind, I still have got the PA800 !!!

regards,
John

#356481 - 12/12/12 04:31 AM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: travlin'easy]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Hello Gary,

Apparently you are extremely familiar with programming on all kinds of PSR models ( I just joined the Yamaha PSR tutorial site on which you are very active). Also read about the thousands and thousands of styles that you have, but my question would be in view of my question at the beginning of this thread:
Would you have any number od drumsets (to be loaded in the user area or via the USB) that would add to the 23 internal drumsets of the PSR750 and which are in the "easy listening department " like unplugged, percussive, etc.etc. If so I would be grateful if you could share those with me.

regards,
John

#356483 - 12/12/12 05:32 AM Re: Help needed for drums on Yamaha PSR-750/950 [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

John have you tried to manually record the drums via multitracks if your doing a recording vs using a style....yes it's more difficult & time consuming but you will achieve a much better live feel for your song in the long run. Or try to create your own style using drum sounds of your choice in style creator after all that's what it's for correct? Korgs backing track recorder is very good at this..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online