SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#341008 - 02/27/12 08:47 PM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
it's just so good to hear from you again. Sounds like your setup is still keeping you busy. haahaa
Couldn't beleive it. AJ ( Bluezplayer) popped up out of the blue a few weeks ago, hadn't seen him on the forum in years. He got himself a PA3X. Haven't heard from him since.

Originally Posted By: Frank L. Rosenthal
Rikki, I am doing fine after some very dark years. I have been keeping my software based system updated and am completely at home with it. The biggest changes in recent times has been the switch to a very powerful PC (memory, processor and hard drives, etc.).....there is just no latency, noise, distortion, or other artifacts on my systerm.

Thank you

Frank

Edited by rikkisbears (02/27/12 08:49 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#341009 - 02/27/12 09:09 PM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: FransN]
rikkisbears Offline

Ditto. Bear in mind though, a Pa3X costs Thousands of dollars, VArranger costs Hundreds.
Originally Posted By: FransN
I have Varranger and although I like it it doesn´t come close to my PA3X.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#341010 - 02/27/12 09:52 PM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: miden]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Originally Posted By: abacus

Varranger is newer and has a really slick OS (Microsoft Office) whereas Livestyler has a messy and more convoluted OS (Open Office) which is fine if you have the time, if you don’t than Varranger will be better suited to you as there is less work involved.

Sorry m8, I have to disagree!! Live Styler is every bit as slick as vArranger...maybe you should check ver 14?? Plus vArranger has NO software instrument support,coming, yes, but who knows when exactly and how it will really work, so the argument that it is easy to change sounds (at this stage anyway) does not really hold for vArranger as it is 100% dependent on a hardware device!!

vArranger has NO inbuilt effects systems. It relies on the hardware module still,

vArranger has NO VST or VSTi support, rather you have to have load up an external VST host and then port to that and then back...

All of these things Live Styler has, in addition, with the Plus version, you can automatically play Yamaha, Ketron Roland styles, just load and play... I know this is coming to vArranger but we do not know when..

There are just so many MORE features(just as there are on vArranger-but imho don't justify a 200% price difference) available on Live Styler it would take too long to post here, so the question remains, why what many consider an INFERIOR (but still good) program is DOUBLE the price of the superior one...... which is the suggestion this poster (navidsyad) is making.

I am happy to see you have become to like live-styler that much. Version 14 is really performing well. Tough i have some issues on my laptop, but they seem driver related.

Norbert is also continuosly adding features to live-styler and its far from a death project. I am sure if the fanbase is loud enough, those feautures in Varranger will be eventually added to live-styler.

Leaves me still with the fact that both programs deliver about equall performance but Varranger being 2 times as pricey.

Biggest problems with software arrangers has allways been the soundsource, and OSL seems on the verge of solving that for everyone thanks to you and James.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#341012 - 02/27/12 10:32 PM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bachus,
one problem I've had with LiveStyler for years, is it's ability to play back piano arpeggio's correctly. A lot of the styles I use have piano arpeggio's.
I don't mean a simple synth type arpeggio, I mean a proper piano arpeggio that could literally be used on it's own.

Ok , it might play back correctly using a C maj chord, when I play just say an F min chord, it jumbled up the notes, instead of holding to the correct pattern and just transposing the notes to suit. What one would call a Parallel setting in Korg.

Wondering if version. 14 has fixed that.
[quote=Bachus]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#341013 - 02/27/12 10:51 PM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: abacus]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Thanks Bachus..James will appreciate that too...

Yes I have come to the conclusion that Live Styler in many ways is quite superior to vArranger. In fact I cannot think of one area (apart from the new chord sequencer type function) where vArranger comes close tbh...

And just wait until you see what is coming in version 15 (I have been lucky enough to get a pre-release beta - even more functions!!)

As there is no demo version of vArranger (a big mistake in my view) I managed to get a copy of the manual for vArranger from the vArranger forum, so it is a publicly available document (but NOT directly available from the vArranger web page interestingly enough!!), and it was after reading that that I realised that apart form a nice looking GUI, and nicely mapped controls, it had little real substance...It essentially is a "PC Front-End" for a Ketron SD2 hardware module...

Now I fully expect owners to come out and start decrying all of this, and understandable it is too, especially when they have paid double the price...and THEN having to add the cost of an SD2 Hardware module as well!!!
And for what is imo, as I said, a glorified PC editing and playing front end only..

Now also to be fair, as I said, I believe these things ARE coming to vArranger, tools like VST support, a software sound set instead of relying on the hardware, MAYBE some software effects, ability to run other style formats -and some other stuff I think, but at the double the price for less function???

I don't think so!

It was an outside chance of making it to the OSL, but this lack of function, especially VST and NO software sound base, or even an option to use one, killed it even before considering price.

It is a GREAT program for SD2 owners, and Dan should be proud of what he has actually done, and I am not "bagging" it per se, just from the p.o.v. of the OSL and TRUE fully integrated software arranging and backing. I think it will, however, remain in the realm of boutique software due to obstinate pricing policies where it will be mainly for those folk who can afford to buy many keyboards and bits and pieces and software essentially on a whim..NOT a criticism of those who can, good luck to em I say smile , merely an observation.

Dennis

#341014 - 02/27/12 10:52 PM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: rikkisbears]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Bachus,
one problem I've had with LiveStyler for years, is it's ability to play back piano arpeggio's correctly. A lot of the styles I use have piano arpeggio's.
I don't mean a simple synth type arpeggio, I mean a proper piano arpeggio that could literally be used on it's own.

Ok , it might play back correctly using a C maj chord, when I play just say an F min chord, it jumbled up the notes, instead of holding to the correct pattern and just transposing the notes to suit. What one would call a Parallel setting in Korg.

Wondering if version. 14 has fixed that.
[quote=Bachus]

Rikki,

Send me one of your piano arp styles, and I will happily test it for you...

Dennis

#341016 - 02/28/12 01:00 AM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You’re missing the point, Varranger is like a T4 in operation, so is easy for anybody to use and get used to, Livestyler on the other hand is more like a Workstation, which while more flexible is more difficult for less experienced users to set up. (Arrangers are more expensive than Workstations because they are designed to be easy play by anybody, thus more money has to be spent on making the OS more intuitive)

Bill

#341018 - 02/28/12 01:40 AM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: abacus]
miden Offline

As is LiveStyler Bill, it is very intuitive and from the front screen VERYeasy to use, as is vArranger....but just like any GOOD hardware arranger, it has real depth as well for those who want to explore it.

Not compulsory as Norbert has it set up pretty well o.o.t.b, but the depth is there if you want to take it further....just ask ANY Korg owner about just how good having this depth is!!!

As I said m8, I am not bagging vArranger, just saying it is not suitable for our purposes....and as a personal view only, I think it is over-priced for what you get...

#341024 - 02/28/12 05:26 AM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: abacus]
AFG Music Offline

seen discussion here, I agree with NavidSyed and Miden.

vArranger should have all options that are now present on LiveStyler and extra options posted earlier on another thread for asked price:

vArranger software need a style Sequencer with its own format too (maybe MIDI format with Markers recognition for intro-fills-variation-ends):

8-intro
8-variations
8-fills
8-Ends

-and one special guitar track (when you change chords the guitar track, change the chord like a real Guitar Chord Scale)
-and also:

1 track for loops slices (played through a midi midi sequence):

8-intro sliced loops (8 midi sequences)
8-variations sliced loops (8 midi sequences)
8-fills (8 midi sequences)
8-Ends (8 midi sequences)

and if you can not make a style Sequencer, then support for

MIDI style with markers and one track for special Guitar track and one for midi sequences for sliced loops will also be good.

then style creators can use third party Sequencer for styles,

and for slices ReCycle:

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/recycle/

and of course those options are also an opportunity for Norbert(LiveStyler) to add on LiveStyler and keep the price low as it is(for version without soundsource).

currently LivesStyler need a better Gui and some bugs fixes (for example 7/8 or 7/16 styles does not play correctly) on demo version.

and a new gui should be easily achievable for Nobert, because the software is already written, and developer can easily customize the GUI code section.

it is also important to know which language both programs are written:

becouse a good C++ software is always faster end more stable then some other languages (but it depends on the writer too).

Edited by AFG Music (02/28/12 05:52 AM)

#341026 - 02/28/12 06:42 AM Re: Possible Live Styler Workstation on the way [Re: rikkisbears]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes I know but you need a controller, sound source, pc or labtop etc to get Varranger too work and sound properly. A hardware arranger has anything you need in one and is much user friendly.

And a Korg PA50 or Micro Arranger are cheaper then Varranger smile

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

Ditto. Bear in mind though, a Pa3X costs Thousands of dollars, VArranger costs Hundreds.
Originally Posted By: FransN
I have Varranger and although I like it it doesn´t come close to my PA3X.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online