SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#340959 - 02/27/12 05:52 AM Auditioning New Styles
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have been having a lot of fun with my KMA and found the Korg styles to be very good and, in many cases, different. This enabled me to put new songs in my repitoir.

This brings up the question of why ?

With the exception of specific requests, I listen to a style and try to associate it with a tune. Therefore, I have specific songs on different keyboards. It works fine for me because I rotate keyboards to present a fresh approach.

OOH, I could search for styles on the same board to fit a song, and have them all together.

Do you listen to a style first, and let it bring a song to mind, or vice versa.

#340991 - 02/27/12 01:52 PM Re: Auditioning New Styles [Re: Bernie9]
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
I've been doing it both ways, but sometimes you go through several style just , like you mentioned, to see if the certain style bring a particular song to you, for example, like in your Audya, the style 'Blusey mood' fits Moody blues's "Night in white satin" so perfect, also not bad for "Then you can tell me goodbye" as well. To me it's almost easier when the style reminds me of a particular song than try to find the style to fit the song, but, like I said, I'm doing both.

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#340994 - 02/27/12 03:11 PM Re: Auditioning New Styles [Re: Bernie9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
s

Do you listen to a style first, and let it bring a song to mind, or vice versa.

Both ways sometimes I listen to a style then make a choice of what to play, other times I search for a style that I think fits the tune.

#340995 - 02/27/12 03:40 PM Re: Auditioning New Styles [Re: Stephenm52]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Sometimes you try a Style and it hits you in a second, "Oh this is for that song"
Mostly I choose songs I want to learn and then fine a Style to make it my own. Close but not too close to the original. Thats one of the reasons I don't like MP3's or whatever. Sounds too perfect and then having YOUR voice in the mix doesn't sound right. I like the freedom of using styles anyway. I've been using some of the German Song tracks some of the SZ'ers were generous to send me and I get really bored sitting there. Might as well DJ

Bill in NJ

#341002 - 02/27/12 04:45 PM Re: Auditioning New Styles [Re: Bernie9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have added several new songs to my list because of styles on the PA3X. For example, there are styles for The Beatles' version of Help From My Friends, The Thrill is Gone, Honey Pie Sugar Bunch, Take It Easy/Peaceful Easy Feeling, Long Train Running, Gimme Three Steps and others. Some of them I did before but now they are better and get played more often.
DonM

#341006 - 02/27/12 08:15 PM Re: Auditioning New Styles [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
I'm not all that musical, so for me it's usually a case of choosing a song I'd like to learn & then trying to find a style to suit.

I'm finding Band in a Box handy for learning my songs. I type song's chord progression into BIAB. BIAB plays the L/H chords on the PA3X, which leaves me free to just play melody & choose which styles & which variations might sound best for the song.

Once I've settled on the style, I then learn to play the chords & melody together.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#341019 - 02/28/12 02:51 AM Re: Auditioning New Styles [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
It is just as I expected; both ways are used.

#341047 - 02/28/12 11:54 AM Re: Auditioning New Styles [Re: Bernie9]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
HI Guys,
I too have been auditioning styles on the KMA. I have thousands of PA80, PA50 and converted styles for those keyboards. Once I figured out how to load them on the keyboard and setup the SD Card it was rather easy. I usually hear a style and it brings a song to mind. Sometimes I try dozens of styles before I get to one I really like for a song.

The big problem I am having now is using the KMA OS to rename either styles or performances and then save them someplace so I can organize them. I was hoping there was a PC or MAC program that would allow me to organize and rename things.

Deane

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online