SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#340087 - 02/17/12 04:02 PM My daughter almost made me cry yesterday...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
About 6 weeks ago I had a surgical implant of the Starr Toric lens in my left eye, and three weeks ago the right eye was done. Unfortunately, things are not going well and I cannot see as well as I could prior to the surgery, but that's the bad news part of this story.

The good news part is my daughter has been able to help her old dad by doing all the loading, unloading and setup of my system during the time I had lifting restrictions because of the surgery. She only has one usable arm because a near-fatal motorcycle accident left her left arm paralyzed. I knew she has a good voice, but she would never sing with me in the past, claiming that it just wasn't something she wanted to do. Since the surgery she decided she would sing with me on the job, mainly because she had to be there anyway and would get bored if she had nothing to do but sit around waiting for dad.

A couple days ago I asked her to sing Over The Rainbow, which has always been one of my favorite songs. I fell in love with Dorothy in The Wizard Of Oz when I first saw the movie in 1945. (Yes Fran, I'm that old.) I fired up the PSR-3000, she kick in on the song, and instantly, I was overwhelmed with her rendition of the song. Before she finished I had tears streaming down my face. They were tears of joy and I was so emotional I couldn't even think about the next song I wanted to perform. Those in the audience that could stand gave her a standing ovation that seemed to last forever.

Hopefully, I'll have her record the song next week when we're back on the circuit and I'll post it for others to hear. She's an incredibly brave lady and has been through a lot. I'm so proud of her that I would have a great deal of difficulty putting into words just how proud I am of her. If and when you get to hear her sing I believe you'll agree she has the voice of an angel.

Cheers from an emotional, old man,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#340088 - 02/17/12 04:21 PM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

That's a lovely account, Gary, you're blessed. I know my daughters would do the same. Well, one of them - the other one can't sing worth a *. Hope you're back to 20/20 vision soon. You can't possibly know the words to all your songs.:-)

#340089 - 02/17/12 05:28 PM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
What a great thing Gary. I play music everyday with my 8 year old daughter. She is the greatest joy of my life and I hope to one day have an experiance like yours.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#340091 - 02/17/12 05:43 PM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: travlin'easy]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I'm so proud of her that I would have a great deal of difficulty putting into words just how proud I am of her. Cheers from an emotional, old man

Hi Gary, realizing there's no relationship quite as special as a father and his daughter(s),
I think you've exemplified this well with your personal story. I'm looking forward to hearing your daughter's rendition of Over the Rainbow now. smile

#340093 - 02/17/12 06:10 PM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: Scottyee]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary,
I am touched by your story; you found joy in the middle of being challenged. A daughter that must deal with her problem is singing with you. You having serious problems with your eyesight; and in all that you found joy in your daughter, in performing together.

It takes a rare individual to receive and handle adversity as you do. My admiration my friend, you’re special.

John C.

#340097 - 02/17/12 07:52 PM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Gary:

It's wonderful when our children do nice things for us. I'm so sorry to hear of your eyesight problem. Let's hope that it's just a temporary condition and not a "show-stopper." You have a big following and they would really be disappointed... although not nearly as unhappy as you might be. Prayers are headed your way. Give your daughter a Glen Rose, Texas hug from us.

#340122 - 02/18/12 06:49 AM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Gary, what a great daughter and I can tell how proud and pleased you must have been. I didn't know about the eye issue. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. If you need some R & R Pat and I have 4 empty bedrooms, a 19 foot Sea Ray, and the fishing here is very good. I also have a batch of homebrew going that will be ready in about 2 weeks.

Tom

Edited by Tom Cavanaugh (02/18/12 06:50 AM)

Tom

#340124 - 02/18/12 07:11 AM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, What a great thing your daughter is doing assisting you. Singing was the icing on the cake. Nice to hear you've got a great relationship, they always don't work that way.

#340157 - 02/18/12 10:39 AM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary, That's a BEAUTIFUL story, but having met your family I am not the least bit surprised ...
Sorry to hear about the eye problem ... our prayers are with you for a full, speedy recovery ...
Can't wait to hear her sing ...

#340179 - 02/18/12 02:54 PM Re: My daughter almost made me cry yesterday... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone. I'll be seeing another eye doctor on the 27th for an evaluation of whether the problem can be readily corrected. The vision seems to be getting worse by the day, which is not a good sign.

I hope to have my daughter do a recording for me sometime this week. When it's done I'll definitely post it here.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online