SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#337996 - 01/29/12 04:48 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I was wrong above about the Style Change button. Found a style preferences software toggle and was able to write it into global settings. So the Style Change button is now ON when I first start up.

#338003 - 01/29/12 06:12 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Say Bob,
Maybe the Korg engineers needed to be sure that there's enough polyphony for the ending they paid so much to program, and the ensemble harmony just eats up too much of it to leave room for the ending voices. You figure - a 4 note chord in the right hand with a 3 note ensemble sound is 12 notes right there - factor in if any of those sounds use more than one partial (tone) per sound and you could easily be using 40-50 (or MORE) notes of polyphony with just your right hand alone.

#338005 - 01/29/12 06:43 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

You have an excellent point, Dave. Would be interesting to know . . .

#338875 - 02/06/12 04:19 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bob, you said:

I don't think it is a great idea at all. It is unnatural to have voices abruptly shut off on the first beat of an ending, even if it is background voicing. I have been playing thru "canned" endings for years with other keyboards. In fact I still do it with my Roland AT350C and

Bob, I’m not sure I understand. I went to my keyboard after reading your post; when the intro starts the voice I have previously selected has no harmony and that’s great because the band has the intro and I just want to add and fill in with the band -- and it’s the same with the ending. If you are not getting this I’m betting you have the Single Touch on.

John C.

#338876 - 02/06/12 04:29 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bob, The fills work the same way if you have the Single Touch on and it’s flashing.
The sounds reverts to the variation/Single Touch that is being used. If you are playing with variation 1 and it has piano; then select a trumpet from STS the – and you are still using variation 1 the fill or ending will change the instrument back to piano.

John C.

#338882 - 02/06/12 06:37 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

John, I almost never use a canned intro. I am talking about playing thru an ending. If you are playing voicing that uses the ensemble function (assume a sax trio), on the first beat of an ending 1 all the harmony notes abruptly end. It doesn't make sense to stop playing at the first beat of the ending and a solo sax at that point doesn't sound right.

I do not have Single Touch on.

It's not a big deal for me. I don't like long canned endings anyway. I'm finding that ending 2 works great for me even when I'm not using the ensemble function.

I'm almost certain Dave is right. I am finding drop-outs occasionally when I am playing complex voicing with a rhythm.

#339845 - 02/15/12 12:47 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm just wondering if some of the abrupt endings, particularly on ending 3, bother you as much as they do me.
Some of them have a nice, natural decay at the end, but too many of them just shut off immediately, and they don't sound natural at all.j It's like someone pulled the power plug and all the sound just cuts off.
DonM

#339960 - 02/16/12 06:41 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

I agree, Don. I have found several styles that I avoid because of similar issues. As I learn more about the keyboard I assume I will be replacing those with other styles. I have also found that I can use ending 3 to shut up a long winded ending that seems to go on and on. So I sometimes start with ending 2 and then hit the ending 3 button to shorten the ending pattern.

#339982 - 02/16/12 10:30 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It does take some experimenting. My next step will be to go in and edit the endings I don't like, then save them right to the factory locations.
Unfortunately I am working every night for the next couple weeks and won't have the keyboard at home for a while. Actually I should say I'm FORTUNATE to be working every night!
DonM

#341237 - 03/01/12 04:09 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Bob,

I've just been reading your comments on the Korg and I can fully understand your frustration as that's how I get with the Yamaha Tyros 4 (despite all the hype, it isn't anywhere near as User Friendly as the KN keyboards) but to get back to the subject, I wonder whether you are aware that Korg have Tuition DVDs on the market, admittedly they are not free, but I would think if you purchased them, it would save you a great deal of hassle and frustration. I am not sure how many DVDs there are in the pack but I understand they cover everything you need to know about the Korg PA3X. Maybe it would be worthwhile visiting the Korg website.

Hope this helps in some way.

Audrey

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online