SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#337825 - 01/28/12 07:53 AM Some Questions for the PA3X Experts
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Learning the Korg system is a daunting task to say the least . . . But, I will persist . . .

I often use a background harmony voice with my right hand using the ensemble function. I have noticed that if I use an Ending 1, the harmony notes are muted when I try to play through the ending. This happens for every style that I have checked. That doesn't happen with endings 2 or 3. And, it doesn't happen with the microArranger. Is there a way to edit the style or operating system so that this doesn't happen? If not, I must learn to avoid ending 1's. Almost a show stopper . . .

While I am on the ensemble subject, I would like to prevent a voice change from changing the ensemble harmony setting. I haven't found a way to lock the ensemble setting. Does anyone know how to do this?

I am not enamored with the way Korg stuff seems to want to make my decisions for me. I like the ability to select an STS setting with changes in style variations but in my opinion, the default should be to not make changes like that unless the musician chooses to turn the option on. I also like the option of having a voice selection change the ensemble to a desired setting that works well with the voice. But, that's a decision I would prefer to make rather than having the keyboard make those changes. Several such options are selected by default when you turn the keyboard on. It is time consuming to remember to change all that stuff before saving performance data.

#337901 - 01/28/12 05:36 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Karmathanever Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Bob
Intros 2 & 3 and endings 2 & 3 have been specifically designed for you to play your own chords etc etc, whereas Intro 1 and & Ending 1 are specific "mini" sequences designed to be "left to play by themselves" - changing chords etc with Intro & Ending 1 can have some weird results (for example - your last chord in your song may have been C, pressing Ending #1 could then play for 8 measures or more changing its own chords several times - "Ensemble and LOWER" will not follow those chord sequences in Intro/Ending #1.) When you build a STYLE from scratch your INTRO/ENDING 1 can be anything you like, whereas the other INTRO/ENDING must be built on a single chord - usually Cmaj7 (but you need to get into STYLE building to understand more etc...)

Getting into any professional level arranger can be very daunting at first. I am not sure how "new" you are to the PA but this is always my advice to new owners:-
1. Spend time going through the first 100 pages of the PA manual - usually entitled "Quick Guide". This sounds a lot but it isn't - what it will do is familiarise you with Korg arranger terminology and all the necessary "basics" to get you started. Work through those pages with your keyboard ON and next to you so you can play as you learn.
2. The next bit of advice is to take one MODE at a time and experiment with it e.g. STYLE PLAY MODE.

The beauty of the Korg PA2/3 is flexibility - you can basically set it up any way you want - you have control - unlike the Tyros (for example), however this is at the cost of patience and becoming familiar with its features. (I wasn't suggesting you are impatient, I just know how I am with these things...)
Quote:
I am not enamored with the way Korg stuff seems to want to make my decisions for me. I like the ability to select an STS setting with changes in style variations but in my opinion, the default should be to not make changes like that unless the musician chooses to turn the option on.

These are simply "out-of-the-box" settings - the PA2/3 is fully flexible and every PERFORMANCE/STS/STYLE/SOUND?SAMPLE etc..etc.. can be changed to suit your exact requirements.

"Ensemble" locking. One way to achieve your requirement is to either switch off STS which means that no matter what style you load the sounds and voice setup is unchanged - then you can load the individual SOUNDs as required. Another is to re-write the STS or PERFORMANCEs with the "ensemble" setting you want - they will then remain for all time.

You can have the PA power up with the settings you want by setting up the keyboard and writing that current environment in PERFORMANCE position #1. PERFORMANCE #1 is the one that the keyboard will load on power up.

I hope this helps a bit, Bob. Please persist - you have the best of the best with Korg. IMHO the only keyboard that could have come close a few years ago was the Ketron Audya (now way behind the times...)

Once you get some familiarity, you will not look back.
Am here to help my friend - keep the questions coming.....

All the best

Pete laugh

#337903 - 01/28/12 06:25 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bob when I first used an intro or and ending I wondered why the ensemble was not working; the ensemble did start after the intro was over. I came up with; hey this is a great idea. With all that’s going on during an intro or an ending all I want is a single note to blend in. And yes they do think ahead.

Bob, stay with it the people who designed the keyboard were thinkers with you and I in mind. The 14 years I sat learning the Technics way of doing, now I am having to put that side; if not I am left confused.

You wrote: "I am not enamored with the way Korg stuff seems to want to make my decisions for me". I feel that is because your mind is still Technics.

I am beginning to use the STS settings (of my choice)and adding the performance area.

My #1 performance area is set up with 8 different instrument set ups; Piano – Trumpet -- Sax section –ect. That gives me a total of 8 plus 4 -12 instrument settings more than enough to add flavor to the song. If you add the song book to what you are doing you will find that you have control over many areas; for one word FANTASTIC!

Keep going Bob, John C.

PS, With Korg you can program 160 Performances (Panel Memories) to your liking; Fantastic. Unlike other keyboards I have used the majority of instrument set ups in the performance area are almost too good to change. And when you add John Smies collection you will reach a higher level of enjoyment.

#337912 - 01/28/12 07:57 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thank you, Pete. I think I need to focus on one question at a time.

I have studied the manual for about two weeks. When you are in your 80's some things come slowly. . .

I already have my initial "setup" in performance 1-1. Have done all the global changes I can find before the setup was written into performance 1. I can not find a way to cause the STS button to be OFF when I first turn on the keyboard. It always defaults to ON. Am I missing something?

#337928 - 01/28/12 11:47 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Karmathanever Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
When you are in your 80's some things come slowly

No problem Bob - completely understand but none of this comes instantly easy for anyone. I am very familiar with Korg arrangers and I always must remind myself that I went through the exact same learning curves - there is still heaps I haven't learned yet like guitar mode, drum kit editing etc..etc..

Re: STS button - I am not sure if the PA3X is different as mine doesn't arrive until next week so I can't experiment. Maybe that is one option that doesn't save although I would have thought it should......I'll check some more....

Take your time - you'll grow to love this keyboard.
Whatever I can help with, please let me know.

Cheers

Pete laugh

Edited by Karmathanever (01/28/12 11:50 PM)

#337968 - 01/29/12 11:42 AM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The STS must be turned off after powerup.
I have a few keystrokes I must do before I play:
1. STS OFF (2 pushes)
2. Tempo lock ON

Ready to jam!

#337969 - 01/29/12 12:37 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thank you, Dave. That's what I have found also.

#337970 - 01/29/12 12:52 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Still on the honeymoon here - this is the BEST fit I've ever had. I'm even OK without the speakers b/c of the Bose Compact. It's an awesome rig.
I LOVE, love, love the layout of the buttons and sliders. Sexiest keyboard on the market - hands down!

#337981 - 01/29/12 03:38 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

I agree, Dave. I also think the voicing is superb.

There is one additional button that I can't get to stay where I want it when I turn on. I want the Style Change button to be ON so that when I select a performance, it also selects the style for that performance. It defaults to OFF. Once the keyboard is on and things are set right, the buttons will stay where we want till it is turned off. I guess I'm out of phase with the software developers for this keyboard.

It's like doing a pre-flight check before take off. I neglected to check the STS button several times when I first turned on, and was surprised by all the changes that took place that I didn't expect. . .

#337984 - 01/29/12 03:56 PM Re: Some Questions for the PA3X Experts [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

John, you said:

"Bob when I first used an intro or and ending I wondered why the ensemble was not working; the ensemble did start after the intro was over. I came up with; hey this is a great idea. With all that’s going on during an intro or an ending all I want is a single note to blend in. And yes they do think ahead."

I don't think it is a great idea at all. It is unnatural to have voices abruptly shut off on the first beat of an ending, even if it is background voicing. I have been playing thru "canned" endings for years with other keyboards. In fact I still do it with my Roland AT350C and KN7000's. And, it works fine with the little microArranger. It's OK, though. I don't like long canned intros and endings anyway. Anything past four measures is too long for me. Too often, when you use them, they sound like a totally different song. So, I will probably stick with Endings 2 and 3 for the most part. I hope I will be able to take advantage of the intro and ending 1 buttons with styles I have edited without having the same problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online