SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#336989 - 01/21/12 04:39 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: montunoman
Donny, thanks for posting another great demo. You really make that little keyboard really shine! Maybe next time you could do some vocals too?

Now, I'd like to hear that as well...I like Donny's singing...perhaps with styles instead of SMF, if possible?

Gee, I wish that the micro had normal sized keys...it would be a contendah!

Ian

#336991 - 01/21/12 05:18 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: ianmcnll]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I wish that the micro had normal sized keys.

Hi Ian.
So what's normal?! laugh
There's actually 'no standard' as even with acoustic pianos, key size dimension & weight vary considerably, and in the arranger line, Yamaha keys are significantly smaller than Korg & Roland's, and all arranger keys aren't as big or heavy as my Steinway B Grand either. Accordion keys too differ among makes and models.

Perhaps because the public's hunger for space saving take anywhere ultra portable devices (from PCs to phones & everything else) and desire for smaller & smaller devices, micro keys may eventually become the'new' norm! grin and sooner than later, a physical keyboard no longer required, opting for a virtual keyboard instead. Time marches on. Anybody up to taking up the harpsichord? grin

#336992 - 01/21/12 05:32 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
aaaaaaaaah, nice Thanks
Donny, great work I expected no less from you;

Big smile, John C.

#336993 - 01/21/12 05:41 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Good stuff, Donny. Definitely for our listening pleasure.

#336994 - 01/21/12 05:41 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny, I was going to sell my Pa800 3 times. Each time I decided to give it another go. I am so glad I did not sell it.

Now for the KMA, can't wait.

John C.

#336995 - 01/21/12 05:43 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Scott,

"Normal" to me means the size keys on my Tyros, PSR, or perhaps the keys on a PA3X, G-70, Prelude, P-85 piano, Wurlitzer EP-200, Fender Rhodes, Hammond organ...that size.

They don't have to be exactly the same size...relatively close is fine...I can live with that no problem...I also don't have a problem with non-weighted vs semi-weighted vs weighted actions.

Mini keys, on the other hand, feel totally wrong to my fingers...especially when playing piano type music and chords.

I'm glad there are those who can adapt to small keys...I'm not one of them....I can play them, but I don't enjoy it.

I can deal with my Yamaha CS-01 synth (which has mini keys), because it is monophonic, and I don't need to play chords.

I'm certainly not trying to make anyone stick with standard sized keys, but, I'm not one who will ever be converted to playing on mini keys either. I never liked playing Yamaha's PSS series of arrangers (which had similar keys as micro), so it is not a brand thing, by any means, and it's not like I have not had any experience using them.

They just feel wrong to me...I truly enjoy playing the keyboard on my Tyros4, and I also enjoy standard weighted actions as on the available digital pianos, but, I'm not a candidate for those little toy like keys as on the microArranger and others like it.

I can't imagine classical players, or jazz musicians playing on mini keys, and I doubt if this type of keyboard will be the "norm" in the future, but it seems to work for some applications.

Ian

#336996 - 01/21/12 06:41 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: Dnj]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny, great job! The last demo style goes back to at least the iX300; it was called "Da Blues." I have a BSQ with that intro, all four variations and fills and that ending. What is it on the KMA; I can't find it.
Been noodlin' around myself today and have decided to create a complete set of KMA style songs. This is the first time since my G70 that I've been excited about "playing" the keyboard. I'm now wondering why I never purchased a PA500 or 800 cuz they sound great, much better than my s910.
So many people are talking about this keyboard as it's the newest and greatest thing out there. It's not; it's 10 yr old technology in a new package. Shows to go that not many people paid a lot of attention to the PA50/60 when they were out. It also proves that older sounds and styles are just as good as the new stuff, for the right price.

#336997 - 01/21/12 07:02 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

I've said all along, with a few others here, that the PA series is an incredible board. Some of the downloaded styles I've gotten around to are just downright beautiful. Not only the sounds and styles and editing features, but this board allows soooo much for imagination.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#336998 - 01/21/12 07:25 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: zuki
I've said all along, with a few others here, that the PA series is an incredible board. Some of the downloaded styles I've gotten around to are just downright beautiful. Not only the sounds and styles and editing features, but this board allows soooo much for imagination.

Are you getting a microArranger, Jim?

Why wasn't the PA-50SD received with the same enthusiasm...did Korg have to get the price so low that somebody would try it, but in another form?

I don't remember the PA-50SD discussed here on SZ with nearly as much praise, and the microArranger is the same instrument...with the modification to a smaller footprint and tiny keys and a much cheaper price.

The PA-800 was not even close to this type of buyer frenzy, nor did it receive as great a standard of review, except perhaps by you and Uncle Dave.

Perhaps people do sometimes buy solely on price, or maybe it took that kind of packaging to make people try and then appreciate what Korg has been offering all along.

I think the micro is a hell of an instrument for those who don't mind the small keys.

Ian

#336999 - 01/21/12 07:44 PM Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I think what I was trying to say, is that if this microArranger has it's users graduating from this instrument to a full size PA-800 or PA3X, whoever did the marketing strategy was a genius.

Ian

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online