My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2

Posted by: Dnj

My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 10:46 AM

With so many requests to record another Korg microARRANGER Demo .....today I had a few minutes to sit down with the KMA & do a few more off the cuff pic a style & play demos of mixed up styles so perspective buyers & already KMA owners can take a listen & hear what this lil' $499.00 arranger could do!.....& just imagine what it can sound like once you take the time top dig in and make it your own?...I hope you enjoy it ...especially my across the pond SZ buddy Tony Hughescool2 ...have a nice day I gotta get ready for tonight's gig!! keys
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 10:54 AM

Hell Donny,

It's brillant, thanks for posting it, not heard anyone else play the KMA like that, in fact there are no demos like that, there are enough people got them now.

Thanks Donny.

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Hell Donny,

It's brillant, thanks for posting it, not heard anyone else play the KMA like that, in fact there are no demos like that, there are enough people got them now.

Thanks Donny.

Tony your very welcome...I hope to have more time to do some more down the road as I get more into the KMA as it is really a deep arranger & so many things can be done to make it your own.I still cant believe a $499.00 unit could sound like this wow! These demos are just a few out of the box styles & sounds that can be enjoyed. It really has a great LIVE sound ..I have absolutely NO problem playing the mini keys...KORG had a definite WINNER in the KMA !! clap
Posted by: eddiefromrotherham

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 11:07 AM

Great demo, Donny.
But the point is that you can make ANY arranger sound so good we would want to buy it.
and that's a fact!

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: eddiefromrotherham
Great demo, Donny.
But the point is that you can make ANY arranger sound so good we would want to buy it.
and that's a fact!

Eddie...Thanx..... I feel a person should buy an instrument because it makes them happy playing it. Believe me it took a lot to make me say to myself "this is a keeper" with the KMA... I honestly was going to sell it 2x...but a few different divine circumstances & some mentoring made me realize this KMA ain't no toy as some might think. We all have playing talents others do not. For example I would love to learn how play Jazz Piano or Trumpet as i just adore watching someone play these instruments....all my 45 yrs of my pro performing life I have watched and absorbed from many many musical sources & players to mix it into my style of playing. My arranger KB playing philosophy is to be a 7 pc band by myself.....playing All the parts & Vocals as such, "just the way a 7pc band would sound" You take care!
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I still cant believe a $499.00 unit could sound like this wow! These demos are just a few out of the box styles & sounds that can be enjoyed. It really has a great LIVE sound ..I have absolutely NO problem playing the mini keys...KORG had a definite WINNER in the KMA !! clap

Donny, you're sounding great as usual. Nice demo!! cool And for $499.....it's a steal.

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

I still cant believe a $499.00 unit could sound like this wow! These demos are just a few out of the box styles & sounds that can be enjoyed. It really has a great LIVE sound ..I have absolutely NO problem playing the mini keys...KORG had a definite WINNER in the KMA !! clap

Donny, you're sounding great as usual. Nice demo!! cool And for $499.....it's a steal.

Thanks Steven......I still wish I could play Piano like you ! cool2 ....

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:10 PM

Donny thanks for the complement. On the flip side, I'll trade you some piano skills for your vocal skills. smile You know I love the big band stuff . I still have your CD "Swingin' With the Big Bands" on my iPhone.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:11 PM

Very nice Donny...sounds exactly like the PA-50SD, only, of course, it's tinier and cheaper.

At $499, a very good deal indeed.

Ian

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:19 PM

Donny thanks for the complement. On the flip side, I'll trade you some piano skills for your vocal skills. smile You know I love the big band stuff . I still have your CD "Swingin' With the Big Bands" on my iPhone.

Ok Steve it's a deal dinner on the "HILL" and a musical brainstorming session sounds like a good time in the future!!

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Very nice Donny...sounds exactly like the PA-50SD, only, of course, it's tinier and cheaper.

At $499, a very good deal indeed.

Ian

KMA + powered PA +

iRig Mic
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:23 PM

bad link, Donny

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
bad link, Donny

try it now dave
Posted by: DonM

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:45 PM

Good demo. I didn't hear any chopped off endings like the PA3X has, but then again, you don't have 3 to choose from, so maybe it's just some of the new stuff that needs tweaking.
DonM

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
Good demo. I didn't hear any chopped off endings like the PA3X has, but then again, you don't have 3 to choose from, so maybe it's just some of the new stuff that needs tweaking.
DonM

Thanx Don....could the Pa3x endings problem be corrected in a future UPDATE?....& does KORG even know about the problem?

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:52 PM

Only two endings on KMA (thanks Tony)???

Ian

[later added] Oops, I forgot it is based on PA-50SD.

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:53 PM

Only two endings on KMA (thanks Tony)???

Ian

Two is all you need..... at least we have 4 var, & break, on deck transpose buttons, octave also...this KMA is AWESOME!!

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 12:59 PM

I'm getting the sneaky suspicion that you kinda like KMA, Donny?

Nice to see someone else completely happy with their gear.

Ian
Posted by: DonM

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:05 PM

They know about it now, because I posted it on the Korg Forum, but it doesn't seem to be important to most people.
It's an easy enough fix if they want to do it. All that is necessary is to extend the ending a measure and redo the last note so it carries instead of chops off. I'm sure the notes are find, but the ending seems to run out of room.
DonM

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:11 PM

They know about it now, because I posted it on the Korg Forum, but it doesn't seem to be important to most people.
It's an easy enough fix if they want to do it. All that is necessary is to extend the ending a measure and redo the last note so it carries instead of chops off. I'm sure the notes are find, but the ending seems to run out of room.
DonM

Also is there any way to edit the problem in eg: style creator yourself?

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:21 PM

Donny,

Love the new Avatar, can you post a full size so we can see better.

Tony

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:22 PM

Donny,

Love the new Avatar, can you post a full size so we can see better.

Tony

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:23 PM

[quote=Dnj]

Ok Steve it's a deal dinner on the "HILL" and a musical brainstorming session sounds like a good time in the future!!

Donny you're always welcome, when you get the time come on up. Expect to have lots of Italian food on the "Hill", so many good restaurants it's tough to pick which to go to. We'll round up Tony Mads and Mikey when you make the trip.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:30 PM

Hi Donny ,
great demo again. Amazing how good you make this little keyboard sound.

Hi Don,
in some it may not even require that extra measure, just extension of notes. I'm thinking they were intentionally recorded like that, goodness knows why.
Fortunately they can be altered in the stylemaker.
DonM

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Donny ,
great demo again. Amazing how good you make this little keyboard sound.

Thanks Rikki...& once again thank you for your help..
Posted by: lahawk

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:47 PM

Cool stuff Donny, you're making me want one more and more.
Have you tried the micro controlled through your S910 yet?
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:54 PM

Donny, yet another winning KMA demo showcasing the older traditional styles so many of us synthzoner's appreciate.
Most Korg demos have leaned heavily toward contemporary styles, so it's nice to hear how Korg is equally at home for traditional big band, swing, and blues styles too.

Donny, realizing you played everything live on the KMA's 'micro keys' themself, it demonstrates just how 'playable' the micro keys really are, and of which I too experience with the micro keys. Though I appreciate being able to midi the KMA to a full sized keys 'keyboard controller',
I'm finding the onboard micro keys fine for the style of arranger playing demonstrated so well by you in your demos. smile

In spite of all this, I promise not to act too surprised if you suddenly decide to dump the micro-Arranger again.
Afterall, if that doesn't happen, it would be totally out of character for you. rotfl

Above everything else . . .
Have fun making music & enjoy the moment! cool

Scott

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: lahawk

Hi, Larry thank you......in regards to your question the answer is NO I haven't yet,... but, like I said I am not a midi KB hook up type of guy and probably would never do it because for my needs playing them separately is more my thing.....I'm sure someone who is into that kind of stuff will chime in with their experiences. Have a great day!

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 01:58 PM

Bravo Scott,

It was well done, Donny is a master of the keys, he's made good this time, I think he will keep it, as Donny ever done any demos as good as this before on any other KB. If so can you dig them out, G70 perhaps. I would love to hear that.
Tony

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 02:05 PM

Scott, I can't imagine Donny dumping the KMA...it's just HIM...he is unofficially KING of the KMA...."KMA Donny!"

Sometimes an instrument comes along that just has to remain in one's kit...the KMA seem to have taken Donny's heart...he's in love with KMA.

SZ has a romantic side too, yuh know!

Ian

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 02:09 PM

Scott.... KMA is a keeper!

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 02:13 PM

There it is Scott...it's official!

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 02:14 PM

Scott, I can't imagine Donny dumping the KMA...it's just HIM...he is unofficially KING of the KMA...."KMA Donny!"

Sometimes an instrument comes along that just has to remain in one's kit...the KMA seem to have taken Donny's heart...he's in love with KMA.

SZ has a romantic side too, yuh know!

Ian

This is hard to do from my iPhone but I love my S910 also....but little by little I'm getting bored with it day after day.....but never the less its a great gigging arranger for my needs.....the KMA is a backup, & a fun to play unit in every sense of the word.. l8tr

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 02:17 PM

Be careful Donny...you're supposed to be workin and gettin' paid...don't let them catch you playin' with your phone...

You'll end up as the dishwasher.

Ian

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 02:25 PM

Be careful Donny...you're supposed to be workin and gettin' paid...don't let them catch you playin' with your phone...

You'll end up as the dishwasher.

Ian

When your the boss you can do whatever you want .. wink

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 02:28 PM

Donny,

I am the boss in our house and I have my wife's permission to say so, I have no doubt it's the same in your house, anyway is this at home or work??

Tony

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 02:32 PM

Donny,

I am the boss in our house and I have my wife's permission to say so, I have no doubt it's the same in your house, anyway is this at home or work??

Tony

Boss was the wrong word Tony ...I meant "KING" singer

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 03:00 PM

Hi Donny,
I imagine for a gig, hook ups could be a bit risky?
Just needs one wrong setting or button push, & you could end up red faced.
For an accordian player or guitar player who's bought it as a module, that's different. You have no choice but to midi up.
Seems to me it would defeat it's portability on a gig if you used a keyboard as a controller with it. Might as well buy a full sized keyboard in the first place.

Home use , that's different.
Something doesn't work the way you expect, no harm done.
2 keyboards , 2 style players, accidently trigger play on both , eek.
Originally Posted By: lahawk

Hi, Larry thank you......in regards to your question the answer is NO I haven't yet,... but, like I said I am not a midi KB hook up type of guy and probably would never do it because for my needs playing them separately is more my thing.....I'm sure someone who is into that kind of stuff will chime in with their experiences. Have a great day!
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 03:44 PM

I have performed for many years..using Midi set ups..2 ,3 and 4 keyboards...using Anatek Pocket pedals , daisy chained, or MX8 Midi control routing boxes....Never had a major problem and set up time never exceeded 10-15 minutes..

If you make sure you hook things up right at home..you won't get the hung notes or midi loops etc...on the gig..

I always experimented with my keyboards (mostly Roland)..midi back into themselves, and turn local off..Many times giving advantages the keyboard could not on it's own...In fact there use to be hidden system files to turn on that were never public...I recall the D70 was great in this aspect..
Posted by: montunoman

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 04:00 PM

Donny, thanks for posting another great demo. You really make that little keyboard really shine! Maybe next time you could do some vocals too?

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Donny, thanks for posting another great demo. You really make that little keyboard really shine! Maybe next time you could do some vocals too?

Now, I'd like to hear that as well...I like Donny's singing...perhaps with styles instead of SMF, if possible?

Gee, I wish that the micro had normal sized keys...it would be a contendah!

Ian
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 05:18 PM

I wish that the micro had normal sized keys.

Hi Ian.
So what's normal?! laugh
There's actually 'no standard' as even with acoustic pianos, key size dimension & weight vary considerably, and in the arranger line, Yamaha keys are significantly smaller than Korg & Roland's, and all arranger keys aren't as big or heavy as my Steinway B Grand either. Accordion keys too differ among makes and models.

Perhaps because the public's hunger for space saving take anywhere ultra portable devices (from PCs to phones & everything else) and desire for smaller & smaller devices, micro keys may eventually become the'new' norm! grin and sooner than later, a physical keyboard no longer required, opting for a virtual keyboard instead. Time marches on. Anybody up to taking up the harpsichord? grin
Posted by: bruno123

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 05:32 PM

aaaaaaaaah, nice Thanks
Donny, great work I expected no less from you;

Big smile, John C.
Posted by: 124

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 05:41 PM

Good stuff, Donny. Definitely for our listening pleasure.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 05:41 PM

Donny, I was going to sell my Pa800 3 times. Each time I decided to give it another go. I am so glad I did not sell it.

Now for the KMA, can't wait.

John C.

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 05:43 PM

Scott,

"Normal" to me means the size keys on my Tyros, PSR, or perhaps the keys on a PA3X, G-70, Prelude, P-85 piano, Wurlitzer EP-200, Fender Rhodes, Hammond organ...that size.

They don't have to be exactly the same size...relatively close is fine...I can live with that no problem...I also don't have a problem with non-weighted vs semi-weighted vs weighted actions.

Mini keys, on the other hand, feel totally wrong to my fingers...especially when playing piano type music and chords.

I'm glad there are those who can adapt to small keys...I'm not one of them....I can play them, but I don't enjoy it.

I can deal with my Yamaha CS-01 synth (which has mini keys), because it is monophonic, and I don't need to play chords.

I'm certainly not trying to make anyone stick with standard sized keys, but, I'm not one who will ever be converted to playing on mini keys either. I never liked playing Yamaha's PSS series of arrangers (which had similar keys as micro), so it is not a brand thing, by any means, and it's not like I have not had any experience using them.

They just feel wrong to me...I truly enjoy playing the keyboard on my Tyros4, and I also enjoy standard weighted actions as on the available digital pianos, but, I'm not a candidate for those little toy like keys as on the microArranger and others like it.

I can't imagine classical players, or jazz musicians playing on mini keys, and I doubt if this type of keyboard will be the "norm" in the future, but it seems to work for some applications.

Ian
Posted by: cassp

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 06:41 PM

Donny, great job! The last demo style goes back to at least the iX300; it was called "Da Blues." I have a BSQ with that intro, all four variations and fills and that ending. What is it on the KMA; I can't find it.
Been noodlin' around myself today and have decided to create a complete set of KMA style songs. This is the first time since my G70 that I've been excited about "playing" the keyboard. I'm now wondering why I never purchased a PA500 or 800 cuz they sound great, much better than my s910.
So many people are talking about this keyboard as it's the newest and greatest thing out there. It's not; it's 10 yr old technology in a new package. Shows to go that not many people paid a lot of attention to the PA50/60 when they were out. It also proves that older sounds and styles are just as good as the new stuff, for the right price.
Posted by: zuki

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 07:02 PM

I've said all along, with a few others here, that the PA series is an incredible board. Some of the downloaded styles I've gotten around to are just downright beautiful. Not only the sounds and styles and editing features, but this board allows soooo much for imagination.

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: zuki
I've said all along, with a few others here, that the PA series is an incredible board. Some of the downloaded styles I've gotten around to are just downright beautiful. Not only the sounds and styles and editing features, but this board allows soooo much for imagination.

Are you getting a microArranger, Jim?

Why wasn't the PA-50SD received with the same enthusiasm...did Korg have to get the price so low that somebody would try it, but in another form?

I don't remember the PA-50SD discussed here on SZ with nearly as much praise, and the microArranger is the same instrument...with the modification to a smaller footprint and tiny keys and a much cheaper price.

The PA-800 was not even close to this type of buyer frenzy, nor did it receive as great a standard of review, except perhaps by you and Uncle Dave.

Perhaps people do sometimes buy solely on price, or maybe it took that kind of packaging to make people try and then appreciate what Korg has been offering all along.

I think the micro is a hell of an instrument for those who don't mind the small keys.

Ian

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 07:44 PM

I think what I was trying to say, is that if this microArranger has it's users graduating from this instrument to a full size PA-800 or PA3X, whoever did the marketing strategy was a genius.

Ian

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bruno123
aaaaaaaaah, nice Thanks
Donny, great work I expected no less from you;

Big smile, John C.

Bruno /124....thanx so much...I hope it helps some people make a decision on the KMA. John I'm glad I'm not indecisively alone lol wave ....I hear you my friend!

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: cassp
Donny, great job! The last demo style goes back to at least the iX300; it was called "Da Blues." I have a BSQ with that intro, all four variations and fills and that ending. What is it on the KMA; I can't find it.
Been noodlin' around myself today and have decided to create a complete set of KMA style songs. This is the first time since my G70 that I've been excited about "playing" the keyboard. I'm now wondering why I never purchased a PA500 or 800 cuz they sound great, much better than my s910.
So many people are talking about this keyboard as it's the newest and greatest thing out there. It's not; it's 10 yr old technology in a new package. Shows to go that not many people paid a lot of attention to the PA50/60 when they were out. It also proves that older sounds and styles are just as good as the new stuff, for the right price.

Cass thank you....I totally agree with all you have said above its all so true!!! btw the style on the KMA is called simply "BLUES" it was in user 3.

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 08:26 PM

I agree Jim.....KORG is really listening to it's customers ....with for EG: a 76 & a 61 Pa3x model just released says something as Yamaha Tyros owners have been begging for years for 76 and still nothing....not to mention the tremendous editing capabilities also offered in their arrangers..both are different sounding, both T4/Pa3x are really good ....its up to the the players choice what to buy..

take care

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/21/12 08:43 PM

Hi Fran,
I've only ever used my stuff at home.
Must admit I now wish I'd kept some of my stuff. I had a couple or so of the pocket pedals, midi switch box was one.
I'm starting to wish I'd kept my midi patch bay too.
I seem to be collecting keyboards again. haahaa

Did you actually midi arrangers together or moreso arrangers with soundmodules?
I used to mainly midi all my soundmodules together. I used to collect those too. At least I've gotten over that addiction . haahaa
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I have performed for many years..using Midi set ups..2 ,3 and 4 keyboards...using Anatek Pocket pedals , daisy chained, or MX8 Midi control routing boxes....Never had a major problem and set up time never exceeded 10-15 minutes..

If you make sure you hook things up right at home..you won't get the hung notes or midi loops etc...on the gig..

I always experimented with my keyboards (mostly Roland)..midi back into themselves, and turn local off..Many times giving advantages the keyboard could not on it's own...In fact there use to be hidden system files to turn on that were never public...I recall the D70 was great in this aspect..

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 12:06 AM

I think what I was trying to say, is that if this microArranger has it's users graduating from this instrument to a full size PA-800 or PA3X, whoever did the marketing strategy was a genius.

Ian

That's all very well Ian but the KMA is like chocolate, after a while it gets a bit sickly, especially if you have too much stuffed down your throat, not even chocolate is that good, is it, Donny makes it sound good but this little critter will never see itself on a PROPER stage, it's more likely to find itself on a dining room table, it's fun and well all know, let’s leave it at that. I wish someone would bring out a new KB and then we could get back to some normality, if there is such a thing. I mean let’s face it do you guys drive about the USA in a British Leyland Mini, maybe on Sunday for fun. Real men get in a chevy.
Posted by: john smies

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 01:14 AM

Ian

That's all very well Ian but the KMA is like chocolate, after a while it gets a bit sickly, especially if you have too much stuffed down your throat, not even chocolate is that good, is it, Donny makes it sound good but this little critter will never see itself on a PROPER stage, it's more likely to find itself on a dining room table, it's fun and well all know, let’s leave it at that. I wish someone would bring out a new KB and then we could get back to some normality, if there is such a thing. I mean let’s face it do you guys drive about the USA in a British Leyland Mini, maybe on Sunday for fun. Real men get in a chevy.

Hi Tony,

Before I say the wrong thing here, you have been saying a few things which seem to be a bit contradicting. Initially you referred to it as a toy, later on you said you would be getting one yourself ( are you ?) and now you are stating it will never hit the stage as a sidekick to the performer ?

As to that last remark, I personally disagree. As you know I have explained on my webpages how to hook up the Micro to one's main arranger in a way that you would not even have to bother about keys.
Also see the thread about this, in which Bernie has meanwhile succesfully hooked up his to his Nord synthesizer keyboard.

It may last yet another few weeks before the penny drops but I stick to my opinion that the Micro can be used in any setting that is, as a "toy " during a birthday party, as a solo entertainer for a quickie or as a sidekick for the (semi) professional, in whatever set up. Just my two cents mind you, for what it is worth.

kind regards,
John Smies

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 01:43 AM

John,

Perhaps in a moment of madness I might have said I was getting one, twas but a jest. John I have an Audya, Tyros4 and a Fantom XR, now what else would I want, to be able to play the KMA (Kiss My Ass) like Donny would be the next on my list, you must admit he's one hell of a player, those demos he did took the cake, he could demo for Korg, I haven't heard better and the poeple who have KMA haven't stepped up to the plate yet and caught him up. I have enough cables and gizmos, you mark my words this is a 7 day wonder and will disappear like a fart in the wind, don't hold your breath John, someone who only wants to spend £400 on a KMA isn't going to want to buy any extra software. I know and you know it's toy, it isn't going anywhere.

Tony
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 02:21 AM

I liked my PA-800 fine until Zuki(Jim) got it from me.
Posted by: Nigel

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 03:56 AM

Perhaps in a moment of madness I might have said I was getting one, twas but a jest.

I saw no winks or similar to indicate it was a jest. So you are saying we can't take anything you say seriously ?

John I have an Audya, Tyros4 and a Fantom XR, now what else would I want. I know and you know it's toy, it isn't going anywhere.

The KMA fills a niche market. Any instrument that capable musicians can produce excellent music on can't just be dismissed as a mere toy. And you yourself have been posting on threads regarding the KMA for more than 7 days so I guess you are already wrong about your 7 day prediction. Its small footprint and keys simply makes it useable as a stand alone instrument which is very cool for its price but as John pointed out it is easy to control it from a full sized controller when available.

Hmmm let me see ... you like Donny's KMA demos ... you acknowledge it is a great low price ... I don't see why you are being so critical. You don't have a Korg arranger so it could make sense for you to add it to your collection for an incredibly low investment after spending crazy amounts on those other keyboards. And it's not like your history of postings regarding your opinions of your Audya have been very positive for the money you spent on it. You have made that obvious to all of us.
Posted by: Saswick

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 04:14 AM

Morning Gentlemen

Having had my KMA or is it spelt Karma for 5 days and completed two gigs without a problem all I can say is our audiences, which we perform for on a regular basis, said they couldn't tell the difference from my Pa2x.

I'm happy (no hernia) they are happy (more bookings) can't ask for much more).

Playing for your own enjoyment is one thing, playing for the "PAYING" public is a different ball game. Repeat bookings are the acid test.

Regards

Col

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 04:18 AM

That is great Col and certainly shoots down the idea that the KMA is nothing more than a toy. It sounds like it has become a great work tool for you.
Posted by: john smies

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 04:27 AM

Tony,

It stands to reason that I fully concur with the remarks mad here by Saswick and Nigel. Mind you this should not become a " did he or didn't he " contest. Personally I think that having the fleet of keyboards which you have at your disposal there is no dire need whatsoever to get the KMA. However your continued assessment of it being a toy is utterly wrong, as is also brought home by the ( stage) experience of Saswick.
As I have pointed out on several occasions the engine of this little mini is virtually identical to the PA1X, and that was far from being a toy.
I also think that they are going to sell big time here in Europe once they hit the market as long as the keep the prices down. It looks like it is going to retail at approx. 495 euros/ 440 Pounds which is slighly less acttractive than the USA prices.

As to your remark about my software, you have got a point there. People have gotten used to getting everything for free, but , and I have said this many a time before, I am not in it for the money but spent literally hundreds of hours on this programming lark. And those who do make a donation are without any exception , very pleased with what they get. Read my webpages 4 and 6.
So what else can a man wish for ? Eternal fame perhaps ........

Greetings from the Netherlands,
John Smies

especially for Tony:
http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/page-4--pa800pa2x-user-commetns.html

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 04:50 AM

This little instrument put Casio in the pro synth business...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/casio/cz101.php

I had one, and quickly traded it for the one with full size keys, with the same specs.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/casio/cz1000.php

And now, we see them return to the synth market with another terrific product, shown on another thread, but, thankfully (for me), this one has full sized keys from the outset.

I think if Korg can move more people into buying full sized arrangers like the PA3X due to the introduction of the microArranger, which will expose people to the Korg arranger sounds and features (who might not have otherwise bought one), they have really pulled off a terrific marketing move.

Yes, they will probably sell quite a few, but, let's face it, even though it's 10 year old technology and it's paid for, you'd have to sell a lot of KMA's to equal the profit of just one PA-800/PA3x, so hopefully the popularity will extend beyond the entry/mid level $500 instrument.

Ian

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 05:23 AM

Ian

I still have a CZ-101 and a CZ-1000 .... I think I maybe a keyboard "hoarder" wink

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 05:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Nigel

Ian

I still have a CZ-101 and a CZ-1000 .... I think I maybe a keyboard "hoarder" wink

They are surprisingly powerful...also, if midi'd to a synth with velocity, they respond to it, as well as aftertouch.

There was a distortion guitar patch going around for them that was simply a knockout...it had feedback and all.

Very powerful company, with very deep pockets.

Ian
Posted by: zuki

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 06:05 AM

Hi Ian. No, not interested in the micro. I have plenty with my road 800 and studio 2X that I bought from Tye recently.

This is the year I'll try to post my demo page (but I say that every year - man, times goes fast!

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 06:14 AM

Hi Ian. No, not interested in the micro. I have plenty with my road 800 and studio 2X that I bought from Tye recently.

This is the year I'll try to post my demo page (but I say that every year - man, times goes fast!

Yep, you have all that you need, and more.

I was thinking about getting a PSR-S910 so to have something very portable with built-in speakers, but I'm not gigging enough right now to justify the added expense.

I think I'll stay pat with the Tyros4...I'm still exploring the style creator and having lots of fun playing it as well.

It's hard not to be caught up in these little SZ buying frenzies. Ha ha! But, thankfully, common sense, which is usually not too common, prevails.

Ian

PS...Looking forward to your demo page.

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 06:18 AM

Nigel,

Glad you have come in, I am not an avid uses of faces if you look back. When I said what I had I thought it would be obvious that the last thing on my list would be a KMA Korg, Ketron or whoever. Some people won't even buy a 61 note KB instead of a 76 , in the UK you will not find professionals using a 61 KB, the Tyros 61 is classed as a home KB in the UK, no band would ever use one, OMB yes. I did say a while back that I went into the biggest KB shop in the UK in Manchester, they had no intentions of stocking the KMA and not my words but theirs they class it as a toy, maybe therein lies the difference across the pond.
Maybe the word professional is the real problem Nigel, perhaps it’s what audience you play in front of.

You can take it from me I will not be buying one, what I will say is DNJ as got some very very nice sounds from it in a very short space of time and I am impressed, there is not going to be an KMA epidemic, certain not this side the pond.

I notice people do have a lot of gear you only need to look in their SZ footer, it does appear that this might well be one they can add, but I see little merit in using it to midi up just for what on the KMA, rather buy the Pa3x now there is a tool and one half, I can see myself jumping up and down like folks are doing with the KMA if I bought Pa3x. Something would have to go to buy a Pa3x, although I have seen someone with a three stack.

Regards
Tony

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 07:50 AM

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Fran,
I've only ever used my stuff at home.
Must admit I now wish I'd kept some of my stuff. I had a couple or so of the pocket pedals, midi switch box was one.
I'm starting to wish I'd kept my midi patch bay too.
I seem to be collecting keyboards again. haahaa

Did you actually midi arrangers together or moreso arrangers with soundmodules?
I used to mainly midi all my soundmodules together. I used to collect those too. At least I've gotten over that addiction . haahaa

Hi Rikki, My MIDI days..were about synths , keyboards and modules...6,8,12,and 16 voice instruments..

When I started to use arrangers on stage (90's)..it opened a "whole new world", not because I could play the auto stuff..that was great..but the possibility to use arrangers as multi instruments, with drum patterns that worked great...and plenty of polyphony...all the effects abound also...Arrangers are complete packages..that curbed my primary need to MIDI up...

Is MIDIing up arrangers important..not so much..more of experimental, and just having fun...Detail operation between two arrangers is still complex and they do not talk or play well with each other..but basic operation as we discussed here on SZ, does work well..

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 08:17 AM

I stil have several Anatek Pocket units..Pocket channel, Pocket split,Pocket merge, Pocket Transpose, Pocket pedal etc..

I recall using these pedals with early arrangers like Roland 301 and 305 arrangers..Using Pocket channel I was able to layer additional sounds from the same keyboard ..using the "open" channels like 14 and 15..

I used the Pocket pedal for EV5 and dp2 pedals that the keyboard did not support..and the merge pedal was a must when you were midi..ing 3 keyboards...Pocket transpose was always needed..for JX10 and other units with no transpose..
Anatek had a brilliant concept...and they worked..

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 08:29 AM

I stil have several Anatek Pocket units..Pocket channel, Pocket split,Pocket merge, Pocket Transpose, Pocket pedal etc..

I recall using these pedals with early arrangers like Roland 301 and 305 arrangers..Using Pocket channel I was able to layer additional sounds from the same keyboard ..using the "open" channels like 14 and 15..

I used the Pocket pedal for EV5 and dp2 pedals that the keyboard did not support..and the merge pedal was a must when you were midi..ing 3 keyboards...Pocket transpose was always needed..for JX10 and other units with no transpose..
Anatek had a brilliant concept...and they worked..

Anatek pocket

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 09:43 AM

I still have a few Anatek units (Merge, Pedal etc) floating around here somewhere...no need of them now with the arranger.

They were some handy back in my synth days.

Ian

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 12:42 PM

Hi Fran,
yeh, I remember the good old days, I even had one module that was monophonic ( goodness knows what posessed me, some sort of Oberheim) haahaa.
You needed 3 or 4 modules midied to even play a fairly basic midifile. Used to be fun, though.
Nowadays you just take the polyphony for granted.

I still like miding stuff together, but it's only for home use. More so the challenge of getting some weird setup to work.
I've currently got BIAB midied to my korg, with a mix of korg style & biab real tracks playing in sync while I record them on the korgs mp3 player. Useful, probably not, but it's fun getting it to work.

Hi Rikki, My MIDI days..were about synths , keyboards and modules...6,8,12,and 16 voice instruments..

When I started to use arrangers on stage (90's)..it opened a "whole new world", not because I could play the auto stuff..that was great..but the possibility to use arrangers as multi instruments, with drum patterns that worked great...and plenty of polyphony...all the effects abound also...Arrangers are complete packages..that curbed my primary need to MIDI up...

Is MIDIing up arrangers important..not so much..more of experimental, and just having fun...Detail operation between two arrangers is still complex and they do not talk or play well with each other..but basic operation as we discussed here on SZ, does work well..
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/22/12 11:30 PM

Hi Donny

Sounds good. What's the name of the tango?

Re: My KORG microARRANGER Demo Pt 2 - 01/23/12 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff
Hi Donny

Sounds good. What's the name of the tango?

Scott, Thanx... I would have to say "Donny's Tango" lol.....
as it was just something off the top of my head while I was inspired by the English Tango style playing it on the KMA