SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#335818 - 01/11/12 04:43 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: ianmcnll]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Ian

You sure did a fine job on the Nearness of You. Interesting idea on using the sustain with the sax for decay. You did that so smoothly I didn't notice or recognize you were using sustain. Usually I have a bird when I hear sustain on instruments that normally don't have sustain because it is so obvious and unnatural. I'll have to give that a try myself.

#335820 - 01/11/12 05:28 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Scott Langholff]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I wrote a user program on my G70 for the best realistic sax I can do... smile

I also use the sustain pedal with the sax tone(you have to remember the sax guy has to breath)..

I set the sax to mono, and portamento is set to 8 ...I also do not like to drench it in reverb and chorus...this is a give a way that it is fake...

The problem with most folks that try to play sax on keys..they acidentally play chords from nowhere...a single sax plays single notes and can't play more than one....then try to cover up play with tons of reverb..

I also like to crossfade between 2 similar saxes with velocity switch..I use aftertouch to bring in more vibrato..

Wide open sax play is also telling fake...the sax has soft tones too, velocity play is important..

Edited by Fran Carango (01/11/12 05:31 AM)

#335829 - 01/11/12 07:53 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,

In the demo there is a Bolero piece about 2 mins in, what's it called, it's brillant, have you got dots.

Tony

Do you mean "Spanish Eyes"?....last song on the demo

I have removed the Micro Arranger demo from my web site to free up space....please use the you tube link instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqyFg1p4ZU

Donny,

Now that does surprise me you don't know your LATIN from your BOLERO two completely different styles miles apart, you did the demo, the Bolero intro starts at 1.35 mins , and all the World knows Spanish Eyes I could play that with my ear plugged up. In fact my wife says if I play it again she will kill me, perhaps I need to play it just one more time. No Donny the most famous Bolero was by Ravel its below. Still if you can come up with the name of the Bolero that would be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4wb11w0ZHQ

Spanish Eyes below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4s__QO9kG0

Regards

Tony

Tony that was just something off the top of my head inspired by a combination of The Movie " The Gladiator" & Thelmo's Movie themes as I stated ..no rhyme or reason...just picked a style and played what was in my head with the selected STS sounds....

#335834 - 01/11/12 09:30 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
Quote:
PS.. I thought of Thelmo when I was playing song #3 "Bolero" style & would like to dedicate it to him.. wink

Dnj, apologies for being a little late. Only today I sppoted your topic but couldn't open the file (error-file not found) to listen to song#3 you dedicated to me. Anyway, thank you for the concern. Telmo.

#335835 - 01/11/12 09:34 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Very nice job Ian. Thanks for posting that. It's always nice to hear an actual audio example of what you are talking about.

#335837 - 01/11/12 10:44 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I followed this topic with interest in the sax sounds and they are all quite good. Amazing what we can do with these keyboards. My choice of the Tyros 3 was made because of the tenor sax sounds and at least for my subjective preference has not yet been replaced by any other keyboard. Now there are many different approaches to sax playing and the resulting sounds but the T3 sound was my favorite sound and one similar to what I tried to create when I played Tenor.

Here's a composition of mine that features the Tenor on the last verse and also the Jazz Trumpet from the T3. With the exception of the String background the rest of the sounds are from the Motif XF.

http://www.box.com/s/gc4p2frx9vt0f4o5ge8l

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#335839 - 01/11/12 11:20 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Scott Langholff]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff
Ian

You sure did a fine job on the Nearness of You. Interesting idea on using the sustain with the sax for decay. You did that so smoothly I didn't notice or recognize you were using sustain. Usually I have a bird when I hear sustain on instruments that normally don't have sustain because it is so obvious and unnatural. I'll have to give that a try myself.

Thanks Scott. The sustain for decay works on SA Saxophone, and not on SA2. However, since I've recorded that piece, I've moved to the incredible Tyros4, and now use a volume pedal (Yamaha FC-7) for increased expression on sax and trumpet, as well as having far more control over the organ sounds (great for violin too).

Of course, you know that using the volume pedal with sax lets us increase the volume of the sound after we've initiated it's initial volume via velocity sensitivity; we both are familiar with sax (and wind) players increasing or swelling the volume of a note throughout it's duration, and using the volume pedal as stated, certainly adds to the accuracy of the emulation.

I'm not sure why SA2 doesn't decay the same way as SA, but thankfully, the SA Saxophone is one of the best saxes on the Tyros4 (and also on Tyros3/S910/S900).

The tricky bit for me is using volume with right foot (as I was used to on B-3 and Electone) and using the sustain with my left foot, something I am not used to, coming from a piano background, but I am now quite comfortable with that arrangement.

Ian

#335840 - 01/11/12 11:27 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Joesax]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Joesax

Here's a composition of mine that features the Tenor on the last verse and also the Jazz Trumpet from the T3. With the exception of the String background the rest of the sounds are from the Motif XF.

http://www.box.com/s/gc4p2frx9vt0f4o5ge8l

Joe

Very nice work, Joe...the sax (very dreamy sounding) is really done nicely, and was trumpet. The falls ( added with Art 1 ?) on the sax make it very realistic.

Ian

#335841 - 01/11/12 11:39 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Thanks, Ian. No ART 1 needed. Just the up and down glissando you can sound with the SA Jazz Tenor when your two consecutive notes are near an octave and you key it right.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#335842 - 01/11/12 11:44 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Joesax]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Joesax
Thanks, Ian. No ART 1 needed. Just the up and down glissando you can sound with the SA Jazz Tenor when your two consecutive notes are near an octave and you key it right.

Joe

Cool! It really makes a difference when you spend time working with the various ways to control the SA notes...and it shows that you have been doing your homework.

Ian

Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online