SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 18 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18 >
Topic Options
#335433 - 01/06/12 03:53 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Tony, you're right, the Micro is a good, full-blown, playable arranger for under $500. It's also probably something most players do not or have not owned (PA50 SD). So, instead of parting with $1500 - $4500 for a new axe, they can have this perfectly acceptable dagger. As for playing on the keys - it's anything but impossible. Novelty, yes; main axe, not so much; affordable distraction, for sure...

#335439 - 01/06/12 06:30 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Hey All

I'm considering the same thing as Mark. A Casio PX3 for feel and Roland BK7m for an arranger. My question still is if this Microarranger is so good and the same as the SD50 which has full size keys why hasn't everyone been jumping all over that?
OK, the SD50 is 24 lbs, no big deal to move in a soft case and $150 more in price but that can't be the reason the way we all spend cash on new toys.

As for the cheap price of the micro I remember spending 2K on an Apple GS computer long ago and it was outdated a year later when the first MAC came out. Now I have an IMAC which cost $1200 and I got a free I touch and printer with it. Technology will continue to drop in price.

#335443 - 01/06/12 07:26 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

Do you guys really think that Korg put this on the market so you professionals could play it in front of an audience, never in the manner of man. Hell guys stop this nonsense you’re not showing yourselves in a good light and you’re not convincing me that this is a wolf in sheeps clothing, I am much too old for that. You’re having a little good time while it lasts. I will give Korg one thing, their sales and demo material is the best in the business, they gotcha!!! and you have parted with your hard earned cash, that's what it's all about.

Tony

Tony,

I think the instrument sounds very, very good for the price, and for what Scott intends to use it for, which is a portable mini-arranger for taking to parties or to friend's homes as a bit of entertainment and fun, it seems perfect.

However, it looks like a toy, (yes, I know it doesn't sound like a toy) but a lot of people "hear with their eyes" and, in my opinion, this instrument would look a little strange (maybe even silly) being used, on it's own, at a professional gig.

Of course, if your gig consists of only a percentage of actual arranger playing, and also relies on MP3 (as in DJ'ing) and SMF for singing over (as in the style of karaoke), then the appearance (and small keys) may not matter very much, and may even work in the entertainer's favor.

I think one could manage using it solo at nursing homes, maybe, but for a big dance gig or show, I think we both agree, the player is going to look a tad strange sitting (or standing) behind something so darn tiny, especially if the previous performer had been playing a G-70, Tyros, or PA2Xpro.

But, perhaps we could suppose, if one is comfortable with the look, it sure would be the most portable arranger you could use on a professional gig, although you'd still need a PA system, stand, bench (if you sit), and other peripherals like pedals and foot switches, much like a full size, grown up, arranger; therefore, setup/tear down would still take exactly the same amount of time.

I think Scott's plan of using it to take to friend's homes and little get-togethers is the most sensible use for it, or as suggested, use it with another keyboard or controller....also, it would make an easy to carry back-up instrument in case your main arranger had an issue.

Ian

PS...Tony, you know me well enough to acknowledge that if Yamaha (or Roland) made a similar product, my views would still be the same as above, and full kudos to Korg for making such a great little instrument.

PSS..if this instrument is so darn good, why aren't people raving about, and buying, the instrument the microARRANGER is based on, the Korg PA-50SD, which, at only 24 lbs., is still very lightweight, almost as cheap, has full size, better feeling, keys, and, if used solo, will look far more professional on stage?

#335445 - 01/06/12 07:41 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

The Micro arranger is certainly professional sounding and featured enough to use on ANY gig...it sounds great and at 9lbs your back will love you for it. Many are using a lightweight controller and Roland BK7...now you can have it all in one 9lb unit.

#335446 - 01/06/12 08:00 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

My question still is if this Microarranger is so good and the same as the SD50 which has full size keys why hasn't everyone been jumping all over that?
OK, the SD50 is 24 lbs, no big deal to move in a soft case and $150 more in price but that can't be the reason the way we all spend cash on new toys.

My feelings, exactly Bill.

I'm sure there are those who could manage the small keys, and deal with the appearance, but the PA-50D (and arrangers like the S910, also at 24 lbs) aren't what we would term "heavy"...the difference in weight would be equal to a small bag of groceries, and either of these instruments would offer the "player" a far more familiar feel.

I am all for light weight, as I am extremely lazy and have a bad back, but there has to be some point where making the instrument ever lighter and smaller, will affect both professional appearance and/or a comfortable playing experience.

If the microARRANGER is used as a module, and controlled by, as in your example, a Casio PX3 (nice feeling piano, by the way), one would still need a double stand.

Ian

PS...having an instrument with the proper stage presence seems to be very important these days...witness the many shows where the digital piano is encased in a hollowed-out grand piano shell...having the right "look" is almost (or just as) important as how you sound (again, many people, especially non-musicians, hear with their eyes).

#335447 - 01/06/12 08:07 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Tony Hughes]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I think for the money it is worth it , but i agree with you on this the sound on the keyboard are very good and can be used as a tone mod if you do not like the small keys and when i ssay small they are relly small.

#335453 - 01/06/12 09:28 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I'd love to see a controller keyboard with a flat top big enough to hold another instrument or module.

At one time there were instruments that allowed "stacking" (RD-300, Rhodes, Wurly, Polymoog to name a few) and I'm sure with today's technology, a lightweight 61/76 note controller could be made with a strong enough top material so that we could put an instrument like the microARRANGER (or even an S910, GW-8, or PA-500) on it and have a better feeling and/or extended range keybed to use and not need to use a fiddly and inconvenient (and often wobbly) double tier stand.

I think it might even sell well....I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Ian

#335474 - 01/06/12 11:57 AM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

Are we moving to Demo Pt2
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#335480 - 01/06/12 02:21 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,

Are we moving to Demo Pt2

Not for a while..I'm just too busy with gigs right now Tony......maybe down the road when I get the Micro Arranger all set up for my needs I can do another, but this will take time. As more and more people buy them I'm sure you tube will be flooded with Demos also.

#335500 - 01/06/12 09:41 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

Those Demos you posted sounded like you got it all setup to me and that was just out the box a few days later, Pt1 sounded fantastic and been put together exceptionally professionally, I also doubt if we will hear anything to better those demos Donny. Nevertheless, I don't share your exuberance about the board, well quarter board, I don’t think it will catch on, people who play sheer KB for a living won’t buy it, a few of you have got all hot under the collar about it but that’s the way it will stay, I will remind you in a few months and if I am wrong I let you remind me that you were right. I dropped into the biggest UK Korg dealer yesterday and they have the same view. Be all right for buskers in the underground in London, low battery power , no need for a stand, sit on the floor and play it on their knees.

Regards

Tony

PS look at 1min 55 sec he doesn't look happy about the key spacing and he doesn't have big hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-xTX4PKwhc&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Page 7 of 18 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online