SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#332190 - 10/03/11 03:49 AM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I know I have said this before but it will all depend on the type of music you play Philip. There no keyboard out there that will play big band type of music as the Kn7000. It was created for those times. And -- the Kn7000 does not sound as good as Yamaha for contemporary music. I am not talking about one instrument sound, it is the overall sound and that is what is important.

Have you listened to today’s big band play Glenn Miller, they sound great but they do not have that Glenn Miller sound. They did not live and play in those times, and their instruments are different; their feel is different. And so it is with Technics and Yamaha and Audya.

I have played the Kn7000 and Tyros 2 and the Tyros3 side-by-side through the same amplification (I owned both) and the difference is not small. One of my favorite instruments is the Trumpet; I played one years back. I found it in possible to get the same sounding trumpet on Yamaha. Yamaha had great trumpets but not like the Kn7000 -- it is Harry James sound. (The older sound)

My humble opinion, John C.

#332221 - 10/03/11 12:46 PM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: philip2000]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
The KN7 will read all styles from the KN2000 - KN6500 and all these older styles are available for download FREE from Bill Norrie's Technics site. I think the web address is www.willumshomepage.com (but if it is wrong, I'm sure someone will post the correct address for you).

Although there are 'multi'card readers available that allow you to play some Technics SD cards direct, it does depend on previous models, how/when/by whom the original KN sets has been put together. Some will need to be converted to play on the Tyros 4 and some (particularly midi saved sets) will play on almost any keyboard. I wouldn't worry too much about losing your KN Styles because as I said above, there are numerous 'converted' Technics styles available on the net and the KN5000 is listed among them. For me, the most outstanding website that deals with these kind of keyboard issues is:-

www.psrtutorial.com

If you visit this site, you will get some answers to your questions which will undoubtedly help you to make your decision.

Also, I should point out that along with many other people, I bought a 'new release' Tyros 4 last year which quickly revealed a 'glitch' and Yamaha put out an update that dealt with most of the problems, so if you definitely intend to buy a T4, make sure it has been updated.

Good luck!

Audrey

#332225 - 10/03/11 03:52 PM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: Audrey Turner]
philip2000 Offline

Loc: maryland

this is what this fellow can do with audya.
please carlify about the trumpet sound onthe kn7000 vs yamaha tyros 4? (wasn't sure I read your post correctly---you said it was or wasn't possible to get the sound you were after on tyros 4?)It's funny....one of the benchmarks for me is how good the brass(trumpet in particular) sound...I used to play trumpet and like a certain sound quality.

as far as type of music I play---I like to play a wide range of music(as long as it has some sort of melody line!)

#332226 - 10/03/11 03:57 PM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: Audrey Turner]
philip2000 Offline

Originally Posted By: Audrey Turner
The KN7 will read all styles from the KN2000 - KN6500 and all these older styles are available for download FREE from Bill Norrie's Technics site. I think the web address is www.willumshomepage.com (but if it is wrong, I'm sure someone will post the correct address for you).

unfortunately, that link isn't valid

#332235 - 10/04/11 02:21 AM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: philip2000]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks for the 'Plug' Audrey smile

Here is the address for my website : www.willumspages.co.uk

Cheers

Bill

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#332250 - 10/04/11 04:47 PM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: philip2000]
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello Bill,

Thankyou for your quick response. I knew something was not quite right about it, but couldn't remember why? I've noted it in my telephone contacts now. (Senior moment again...)

By the way, I've been playing my KN7000 all afternoon. Just loaded my SD Cards and played to my hearts content - what a joy!

By comparison, I've had the Tyros 4 since last Christmas and am only half-way through loading and saving my Medleys Bk.No.5 - still got 22 to go to catch up with the KN7 sets. If it wasn't for the members on the Yamaha forum who so generously convert and allow others to use their 'tweaked' styles, (the KN series are excellent), I would have got rid of it a long time ago - it's entails far too many button pushes which is very time consuming leaving very little time for playing which I'd much rather do.

Philip - thank you also for putting this Audya demo on. Music-wise it is right up my street. I love all the Miller tunes, rock-n-roll, boogie, jazz and the like BUT NO WAY CAN I PLAY LIKE THIS CHAP. He is a pleasure to listen to. I was wondering whether he is 'left handed' seeing as he uses his left hand so much, if so, it will be very encouraging for my grand daughter who plays the piano really well despite being left handed. I have a video of a left handed pianist - it is fascinating to watch him play the piano.

Do you know whether he has made a recording of Glen Miller's 'Moonlight Serenade'? This is the tune I always use when trying out instruments as for me, Miller's use of the big band sound is still very much 'alive' compared to some of the newer keyboard big band sounds and I think this man's rendition of 'In The Mood' proves a point, as well as showing what a great instrument Audya is.

Thanks again.

Audrey

Edited by Audrey Turner (10/04/11 04:58 PM)

#332260 - 10/04/11 11:19 PM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: abacus]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
For Sale a Kn5000 in great condition.

Will accept any reasonable offer.

John C.

#332288 - 10/05/11 01:56 PM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: Audrey Turner]
philip2000 Offline

from what I understand (based on reading his descriptions, etc)
he either 1)made the background rhythym using audya sounds
2) it is on the insturment already?

(I think he said it was #1)

either way....I believe that is ALL audya!!
that is what blew me away
check out his other tunes!
abaco62 on youtube

#332289 - 10/05/11 02:02 PM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: philip2000]
philip2000 Offline

audrey
how does the sounds of the kn7000 stack up against the tyros 4
(how about realistic sounding accompanyments?---does it sound "canned" or authentic?)

#332629 - 10/17/11 05:13 PM Re: kn5000 still relevant----sort of [Re: philip2000]
Audrey Turner Offline

For me, there is no competition - give me the clarity of the sounds and rhythms on the KN7000 any time. They make you want to dance/sing as soon as you hear them.

The T4 does have a few excellent sounds and rhythms but far too many 'gimmicky' sets which I assume are aimed at the younger generation.

Let me put it this way - you often hear people complaining they cannot hear the words of the singers today, either the backing music is too loud forcing the singer to raise the voice thus causing distortion in some way, or it's a digital recording. I phoned in questions to our local radio station asking why don't we get to hear the words of a song anymore? or why do we have to keep upping/lowering the volume of a TV because the background music varies so much and why do we have to suffer so much background music anyway? The reply was that digital recordings aren't always done in a studio, but part of it can be done on location (particularly videos) thus using different types of recording gear. In this day and age of 'smart' technology I find that unbelievable!

However to get back to your question, this is how I see the difference between the KN7 and the Tyros 4. Some of the stero sounds on the T4 e.g. pianos, strings and accordions are really good, but the big bands, guitars and voices are not a patch on those on the KN7 for clarity and neither are the multipads, they do not incorporate 'phrases/fills' like the KN's do, but of course almost everything can be changed to suit your taste - but it does entail a lot of button pushing.....

If ever I was granted a wish, it would be to have a keyboard designed and set up, exactly like the KN7000 but using the Tyros 4 stereo sound system. What a combination that would be eh? Ah well! I'll dream on

Audrey

Edited by Audrey Turner (10/17/11 05:16 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online