SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#324395 - 05/18/11 09:48 AM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Scott I just transpose and play them in C...makes it easier an di can concentrate on singing and entertaining also.

Donny..."C" is my FAVORITE key to play in...that and "G" and "F".

I use the transposer quite a bit...also this site, http://www.wikifonia.org/sheet lets you transpose the music to any key.

Some tunes that I play by reading, are ofttimes in the original key, like Eb or A or whatever... I play them that way as it is good to keep in practice a little bit.

Ian

Exactly Ian .....the end result in what the audience hears is all that matters....thanx for the link.

#324397 - 05/18/11 10:09 AM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ian and DNJ: an important point I'd like to make when relying on the 'transpose button' to transpose more than 3 semi tones (> minor 3rd) away from the key you're actually playing in, is that it can dramatically alter (often negatively) the sound of your chords played & heard live), because when a chord played is voiced for the lower part of the keyboard, when transposed up/down too far, it can sound terrible eek , and the reason keyboard players typically play different chord voicings dependent on the key of a song,or the keyboard octave range the chords are being played. How a chord sounds has a lot to do with the harmonic overtone series, but that's another story. smile

#324398 - 05/18/11 10:21 AM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Scott now problems here I find you can go down to -7 with no problems....going up is different +3 or +4 tops on a Yamaha arranger. tricks of the trade compensate for all the rest.. wink

#324404 - 05/18/11 11:24 AM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
No transposer for me...keeps your chops sharp!

R.

#324407 - 05/18/11 11:47 AM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Ian and DNJ: an important point I'd like to make when relying on the 'transpose button' to transpose more than 3 semi tones (> minor 3rd) away from the key you're actually playing in, is that it can dramatically alter (often negatively) the sound of your chords played & heard live), because when a chord played is voiced for the lower part of the keyboard, when transposed up/down too far, it can sound terrible eek , and the reason keyboard players typically play different chord voicings dependent on the key of a song,or the keyboard octave range the chords are being played. How a chord sounds has a lot to do with the harmonic overtone series, but that's another story. smile

Hi Scott,

Good points.

I rarely use a left hand voice when in arranger mode...sometimes I might use a strings or organ voice, and no matter what key I'm in, I usually end up playing rootless voicings...probably from all those years of playing Hammond and Electone organs, especially when using bass pedals.

As far as the transposer...I'm a very lazy guy...my technique is pretty good, and I play often enough in different keys to keep sharp. But, ultimately, I'm lazy, and I like playing in certain keys, especially for soloing, so I use the transposer quite a bit.

The "keyboard capo" I call it. wink

One of the best features ever added, in my opinion.

Ian the Indolent

#324409 - 05/18/11 12:04 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

R.

Use the transpose and keep your vocal chops sharp. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#324411 - 05/18/11 12:09 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

R.

Gary cool

And save your vocal chords! wink

#324413 - 05/18/11 12:19 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: ianmcnll]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

R.

Gary cool

And save your vocal chords! wink

So true--so true! You would be amazed at the number of singers that sing well above their range because they cannot play a song in any key other than what it was written in. Consequently, they are straining to hit those higher notes, and when they cannot they tend to scream, while at the same time pull the mic away so no one will hear the God awful sounds they just emitted.

I don't recall who made the statement but it was someone on the Synthzone that said: "Never play a song you intend to sing in a key that is outside your Singing Comfort Zone." Made perfectly good sense to me.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#324414 - 05/18/11 12:27 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: captain Russ]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
No transposer for me...keeps your chops sharp! R.

Yep, I do remember eek those tediously challenging music class assignments of having to learn & play an assigned tune in all 12 keys plus turnin' in papers with them fully transcribed and handwritten in 12 keys too. It's a relief not to have to go thru that now. Those were the days no longer. grin And because in addition to the most popular guitar sharp keys (E,A,D,G), I especially enjoy working with horn players, so over the years have developed a fondness for their favored flat keys (F, Bb, Eb and Ab) and which seem to more often than not, best suit my voice as well. In addition to 'C', having these 8 keys under your belt will serve you well both on and off the bandstand. smile Keep in mind that musicians (esp horn players) without a convenient automated transpose option (transpose button or guitar capo) can't easily transpose on the fly to a key like C# or F# and won't appreciate a singer or piano player coming on stage and calling out "Crazy" in C#. shocked If I'm working with a pick up band, I've got enough latitude in my singing to call the tune in C or D instead, and believe me, the band will certainly appreciate that and calling you back to sing/play with them again more too. cool

#324415 - 05/18/11 01:04 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
What I meant to say is, I play the tune in the key it was written in if I am sight reading it. If I'm going to sing it., I learn it in the proper key. I don't use the transpose button for any performances.

R.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online