SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#324417 - 05/18/11 01:46 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
What I meant to say is, I play the tune in the key it was written in if I am sight reading it. If I'm going to sing it., I learn it in the proper key. I don't use the transpose button for any performances.

R.

So Russ, if a song is written in a key that's not in your vocal range, and you are sight reading it, how do you sing it, or is it then a tune that is not (or cannot be) a part of your vocal repertoire?

Wouldn't a transposer give you more choices for tunes?

Do you ever use a capo on your guitar?

Ian

#324418 - 05/18/11 01:50 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

it's just another tool like a capo, or the infamous chord sequencer, smf/mp3 player, etc..they are there to be used. Just more tools to get the job done ...for me purity can take a back seat....and I remain happy and so does my audiences year after year after year. heck I even use my cruise control in my truck on teh parkway wink Went thru enough in the pre computer days of music playing in every freakin imaginable...but now it's time to coast.. dancers

Edited by Dnj (05/18/11 01:54 PM)

#324420 - 05/18/11 01:56 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Does anyone really wanna see my song list?
It's really long.
DonM

#324421 - 05/18/11 02:04 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
It's really long.
DonM

I'll show ya' mine if you'll show me yours! wink

If you have MS Excell you can look at last year's list at http://www.box.net/shared/8tbp63f2ce

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/18/11 02:16 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#324422 - 05/18/11 02:17 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you're feeling salty,then I'm your tequila
If you've got the freedom I've got the time
There ain't nothing sweeter than naked emotions
So you show me yours, hon, and I'll show you mine

I know this ain't all that you've ever been used to
with your rings on your fingers and time on your hands
Sometimes it's nice to have somebody nice to be close to
I've been there before you and I understand
Chorus.
I wish that I was the answer to all of your questions
I know you wish you were the answer to mine
Darling if you ever think you need a change in direction
I know you'd be somethin' I'm lucky to find
Chorus.
So you show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Since you asked, there's one of 'em. 5,000 or so to go!
DonM

#324425 - 05/18/11 02:33 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: DonM]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don...
Kristofferson was here in town for two shows this week. I don't know if he did "You Show Me Yours...." this time. But he has a REALLY nice bus. 72 yr old hippies know their busses.
Eddie

#324427 - 05/18/11 02:49 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
No, I don't use a capo...EVER! If I played acoustic (folk, country chords or finger style, for example) and wanted to use strong open note bass lines, maybe. But I don't. That's what power chords are used for with my style of playing.

I don't ever sight read material I do in real time performances where I am featured. If the tune is written in the wrong key for me, I quickly transpose it into the right key when I learn it. I generally always play instrumentals in the key they are written in.

I don't use a laptop, charts, etc. or anything but memory for the material I do live. I play lots of variations on lead lines extemporaneously, when possible. If I'm playing in a group, I play the chart supplied when everything is charted.

Other times, in more improvisational performances (both as an individual and as a member of a group), tradition dictates that tunes are played in conventional horn keys (out of respect for the player(s)and appreciation of the limitations/range/fingering of the instrument) or in the keys they were written in. Competent players know what those keys are, and can handle most material in any key called. Often. modulations are used just to keep things interesting.

I just prefer to do things my way.

This is not an assertion that mine is the right way for anyone else. It's the right way for me and others I know and work with.

And, frankly, I'm surprised that anyone would even ask the "capo" question to someone who plays my style of guitar.

My guitar posting from several months ago contained tunes in 5 or 6 different keys; only one in an "open" key...no capo. It would have been no problem playing all those pieces in any key. That's what I do for practice. The choices were either arbitrary or to suit my vocal range. I'd bet that no-one EVER saw anyone play any of those tunes using a capo.

But that's as much a function of musical style than anything else. I've seen Tommy Emmanuel and Chet Atkins use capo's when playing their "finger picking" kind of material.

Love them both, but a capo is not appropriate for my style. Jazz player are insulted at the "capo" question. I don't even own one. And, as a matter of personal discipline, I choose not to use the transposition button on keyboards.

But, keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who never touches a volume or tone control knob on a stringed instrument. All the pots are corroded wide open and don't work (LOL).

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (05/18/11 03:01 PM)

#324429 - 05/18/11 02:53 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: DonM]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: DonM
DonM

The intent of my thread was not to see anyone's entire songlist (it's not a pissin' contest afterall grin ),
but simply a list of the songs you're currently playing 'most often' like say, your 20 most often played songs. smile

#324430 - 05/18/11 03:07 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

I just prefer to do things my way.

This is not an assertion that mine is the right way for anyone else. It's the right way for me and others I know and work with.

And, frankly, I'm surprised that anyone would even ask the "capo" question to someone who plays my style of guitar.

Doing things your own way ...that's a good thing Russ...there's a song about that, isn't there?

I'm still learning at 62 years old...and, I'm lucky enough to have people around me who share their knowledge, and who sometimes are able to use mine.

I'm not very familiar with your "style" of guitar...I play a lot of folk and a fair amount of classical (nylon string), but I'm pretty rusty nowadays, ever since my "new love", the arranger (in my case a Yamaha Tyros4) has slowly won over my time and my heart.

[Sings]...

For what is a man what has he got
If not himself then he has not
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way.

Yes, it was my way.

Keep doing it your way, my friend.

Ian

#324432 - 05/18/11 03:51 PM Re: What Songs Are You Playing "Most Often" Currently? [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

To see the ones I play the most, look at the Favorites List for the songs with Yes in the column.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online