Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#314736 - 01/31/11 02:43 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Watch that old stuff, Russ--I resemble that remark! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#314754 - 01/31/11 05:30 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Just the way I pictured you playing, Russ. Makes me proud to know you.

Chas' motorbike remark gave me this vision of you two playing "Born to be Wild" and riding your bikes. Not at the same time, of course!

Told "Da Dude" that it's Grandpa Russ playing the guitar and now he's nagging me for a guitar. Show him an elephant and he wants one. "Daddy, want to buy a(an)...!" He wants to buy a lot of stuff recently.

Taike

#314762 - 01/31/11 06:49 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

I got the privilege of meeting Russ and watching him perform both keys and guitar. No question, the guitar is his niche, but he is very capable of holding a crowd with arranger play. (Wish I could pick up a guitar in my act!)

Most intriguing is his contributions, low key life, honest and sincere MO - a Kentucky gentleman.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#314818 - 02/01/11 06:04 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: zuki]
clover_kid Offline

Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA
I really enjoyed your playing. Very inspirational. Hope you continue to heal and get back to 100%, although you are already about 200% above and beyond most.

C_K

#314850 - 02/01/11 08:54 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Taike]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Welcome back, Taike. I'm having my office manager check on the best and safest way to ship a beginner guitar to Laos. That would be so GREAT! Grandpa and the little dude could enjoy guitar lessons...SKYPE or just email. What a bonding experience!

Check with momma, please, to see if that would be OK.

And Jim, I've regretted not spending more time with you when you were here. So sorry we were both "running".

It would be so honored to help you with guitar. We could get you up and running in a matter of a few months....good enough to play a tune or two each set. Then, you could go from there. I would be glad to "share the trips"....I'd come to Cincy one week and you get to Lexington the next. Sundays would be fine. I'd want to loan you a "learner". There are so many types of instruments that you can't even choose the style of music and type of guitar until you're into it. It would be a shame to buy something only to need to replace it shortly.

Naturally, there would be "no charge", and we'd rotate buying lunch. Helping people learn music is one of my great joys. I have three advanced guitarists who come for lessons from as far as St. Louis. And I get weekly calls from people teaching at muasic stores wanting help. The way "teachers" in music stores stretch out the process to keep the fees coming is a crime.

I can take years off the process of becoming an adequate player...especially someone who already knows keyboard.

At the VERY LEAST, I'd sure like to visit when we have time to sit and visit for more than the last time.

Russ

#314919 - 02/01/11 04:44 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Taike Offline

Thanks for the offer, Russ. Alas, he's only four and changes his mind about what he wants all the time. I'm gonna give him another couple of years to see what he really likes instrument-wise. At least by then he'll understand(?) that there's some work (and FUN) involved. Piano would be my first choice. My guess is he'll pick girls!

Taike

#314936 - 02/01/11 07:36 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Taike, does this sound familiar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nE8KKU1HgM

smile smile smile

chas

#314943 - 02/01/11 08:39 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

rotf2 Exactly, Chas!

But I don't mind it at all. The kid has a right to know! smile
Wish my dad was as patient as I am with my son.

Taike

#314947 - 02/01/11 08:58 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thought I remembered Rickie Lee doing that one... here's one version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmnLgnJ9mU&feature=related I think that's Lee Ritenaur on guitar, isn't it?

Good memories...

#314985 - 02/02/11 07:53 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ricki Lee is "MY GIRL"! And Lee is a great player. Loved him when he was part of Foreplay.

Good taste, folks!

Russ

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online