SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#316706 - 02/16/11 06:05 PM The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Captain Russ is so kind. Felt sorry for me gassing for a Guild guitar. Offered to let buy one of his babies. Well, I got it in and I LOVE THIS GUITAR. Out of the box, it sounded really good. I put new strings on it, even better. Needed some tender loving care, yes, and I shined her up, she is PURTY. I freakin' love guitars. And this one, it might be special to me, we'll see. I have been trying to finish writing an original song. I think I am very close, maybe this beauty will help me bring it home.

Here's to making real music guys. You guys are the best. Thanks Russ. Don, you gotta hear this baby!

#316714 - 02/16/11 08:37 PM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
When are you gonna post a pic of it? What model Guild is it?

#316718 - 02/16/11 09:55 PM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Can't wait to hear it Bill. Sorry I was working when you called. Talk to you in the A.M. Break out the golf clubs, it is in the 70's!
DonM

#316730 - 02/17/11 02:15 AM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: DonM]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Can't wait to hear it Bill. Sorry I was working when you called. Talk to you in the A.M. Break out the golf clubs, it is in the 70's!
DonM

It is a 1977 Guild D40CSB, a cutaway dreadnaught. I lucked up on this one, it's 34 years old, but it really is a fine guitar and I haven't found any "issues." Just about any acoustic guitar will need a neck reset but I hope this one won't need one anytime soon.

What makes a fine guitar to play is tone and playability. This one has both. I can tell an electric guitar player (Russ) had this guitar set up, the action is as low as can be had. There is ZERO saddle left, haha. I think you sacrifice some tone with less break angle over the saddle but this means me fingers fly around a lot easier. A guitar that is easy to fret enhances my playing. It's hard to describe but it improves my playing maybe 5% and that doesn't seem like much but that 5% is important! Probably more than makes up for any loss of tone from less break angle.

I have been gassing for a Guild for the longest. I think they are under-rated. You hear so much about Martin, Gibson and Taylor (and I own one of each) but I think Guild should be considered one of the top as for American-made guitars. They are now made in New Hartford, Connecticut and the guitars coming out of this new plant are getting good reviews. I played two new Guilds recently and they were both outstanding.

Guitars amaze me. How anyone can build something that is so pretty and make such sound is quite something.

Now, I need a Steinway baby grand! And a room to put it in.

Here is a pic that Russ took...

#316731 - 02/17/11 02:41 AM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
Guitars amaze me. How anyone can build something that is so pretty and make such sound is quite something.

Now, I need a Steinway baby grand! And a room to put it in.

While silicon has given us so much musical power there is still nothing as sensual as the sound from an organic instument made out of wood and steel.
Plus they look and feel so darned great as well.

#316749 - 02/17/11 08:05 AM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

You guys are getting me excited. I will go play my guitar now.
DonM

#316762 - 02/17/11 08:40 AM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, I'm so glad you like the old Guild. As you can tell, there are almost NO MILES on her.

It's important for you to know that I wouldn't have sold that instrument (or any of my instruments) to just anybody. In fact, in my entire lifetime, I've only sold one other instrument...the Suitcase Rhodes, to UD.

That's because they're too personal to me. I play Guild. In fact, my all-time favorite guitar is a 64 Guild (Nigel may remember about 4 years ago when Freddy, he and I were sharing photos of that old "box" and this one)...not worth as much as a Gibson of that era, but GREAT!

I've given 10 or 12 guitars to young, aspiring jazzers and a few others, but, as in Dave's case, I got really sad when UPS left with it.

But, it was a shame to let this one sit unplayed. I'm NOT an acoustic player so it will be my honor for you to own it, if you decide to keep it. That will be something we will always have as a bond between us.

It's so important that it is owned by someone who I have a bond with that I turned down multiple offers from several players most of us would know for 50% plus more than your
"Music Associate" price.

Plus, you're a good buddy of "Gentleman Don", one of my very favorites here.

Now, each time I see a Suitcase Rhodes or an acoustic Guild, a big smile will appear on my old face!

Enjoy. It's an honor for you to have one of my "treasures".

Your Friend,

Russ (fellow picker) Lay

#316802 - 02/17/11 07:41 PM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ahhhh... my sweet, sweet suitcase. Mmmmmmmmm
smile

#316840 - 02/18/11 08:42 AM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

I want somethin' too Russ. I'll have to decide what it is.
I think you like Bill and Dave better than me. Do you have any bass boats?
smile
DonM

#316848 - 02/18/11 09:59 AM Re: The captain and his guitar, which ain't his no mo [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mason, you need to get back in the "scribe" business...bright and funny as Hell!

Smart-ass writing...it's FANTASTIC!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online