SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#314204 - 01/28/11 08:35 AM Give your opinion on this old guy
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
He wanted to know what you think about his picking, not necessarily the vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_eQZ2_I8bA
DonM

#314222 - 01/28/11 09:40 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I think that like many of us old timers he has been really great in his best days and still does a fair job of picken.
Bill

#314229 - 01/28/11 09:47 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
He wanted to know what you think about his picking, not necessarily the vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_eQZ2_I8bA
DonM

hey RUSS did a great job wink hope to see more from him....NICE!

#314242 - 01/28/11 10:39 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Fantastic! Great 'pickin' and (what a suprise) great vocals. Russ has a voice; who'd a thunk it. And the song selection; superb. All would make my top 20, and some my top 10. Great job, Russ.

chas

PS: Hey, ditch that arranger and get back to your roots smile smile.

#314246 - 01/28/11 10:55 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Russ, I enjoyed "both" the guitar playing AND your vocals, and the tunes selections weren't bad either. wink
yeah,these are all among my all time favorite tunes. cool

What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life
Someone To Watch Over Me
Here, There and Everywhere

Would love to hear you perform these tunes on the arranger keyboard now. cool

#314249 - 01/28/11 10:58 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Russ...my opinion is right up there with the rest.

Lovely playing...obviously you really put a lot of feeling in your music.

More please.

Ian

#314264 - 01/28/11 12:04 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... why am I NOT surprised ?!?!? ... GREAT job, Russ ... love the timbre of the low register of your voice ... how about you cut a CD for us ... I could only listen to this music for a few hours at a time wink wink wink ...
I need some of this for my iPOD !!!

#314266 - 01/28/11 12:10 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, all...especially my friend Don for the slightly deceptive posting.

Here's what's going on. I was cut badly 2 1/2 years ago in a robbery that left me with massive damage in my left hand and arm. I have almost unbearable, continuous pain in my left hand whenever I use it, combined with no feeling in my fingers.

Believe it or not, the lack of localized feeling is a bigger problem than the pain. I have to visually watch my left hand to compensate for the lost "ques" you get from touching the frets and wood.

I have had two surgeries I didn't tell anyone here about. I practiced until I couldn't everyday, until I did more damage. My Dr. told me that if i didn't watch it, I would do so much damage I couldn't ever play ANY INSTRUMENT again.

Needless to say, my attitude has been in the toilet for several years.

Then, I developed a plan. I decided to take 15 minutes and set up a simple video/audio recording system. I sat down with no retakes and "flubs" and all, recorded 15 minutes of material off the top of my head. Then, I eliminated enough material to get under 10 minutes so I could post it on YouTube. This would be as close as I could get to seeing how I would do "live".

When it was done, I thought I was at about 10-15% of where I was before the cutting. I was really disappointed. Live, since the incident, all I've done is play a couple of guitar songs a set on nylon string.

So, I figured I'd swallow my pride, post it and see if anyone thought it was good enough.

My most enjoyable jobs are usually 1 hour, just on guitar, before a dinner. It's a challenge and so enjoyable.

What you see here is where I am today. Your responses give me the courage to continue to try to improve.

And while I know I'll never be anywhere close to where I once was, I'll still be doing something that touches me so deeply...something I feared was completely gone.

Rest assured, 6 months from now, I'll do an actual session. This was a done on a guitar I just got but only played for 20 minutes-total-a cool Guild X-150, an old Audio Technics mic, a 20 year old Carvin Mono head, a Sans-amp (too lazy to bring out a real guitar amp) played into one track of a Zoom H-2...no mixing, effects, eq., etc.

Your nice words will give me the strength to deal with the permanent limitations and get back to where playing guitar is fun and fulfilling.

Thanks, all,

Russ

#314267 - 01/28/11 12:11 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

THIS is why I LOVE this place ... laugh ...and I realize this has nothing to do with arrangers, but it IS music ...

#314270 - 01/28/11 12:21 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]

Guys, this was done yesterday in the back of my warehouse. I didn't sleep much waiting for Don to post it. The fact that I wanted your reaction to factor into the decision to continue or not is a show of much respect by me for the folks here.

And, Chas, GREAT PHOTO! Just as I remembered you (FUNNY AS HELL)!

Best PERSONAL Regards and appreciation,

R.

#314276 - 01/28/11 12:58 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Great style & Harmony and that voice...I wish I could do that.
I am glad you are overcoming your situation, when there is a will there is a way....just like the great guitarist Django Reinhardt that had a limited use of his hand.
Love to hear more of your music.

#314277 - 01/28/11 01:10 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Damn. Now I've got to go back and re-learn "What are you doing the rest of my life". I've loved that tune since the first time I heard Dusty Springfield do it. I'd almost forgotton what a beautiful tune that is. Thanks again Russ.

chas

#314278 - 01/28/11 01:18 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Damn. Now I've got to go back and re-learn "What are you doing the rest of my life". I've loved that tune since the first time I heard Dusty Springfield do it. I'd almost forgotton what a beautiful tune that is. Thanks again Russ.

chas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM2KjStdIhs

#314279 - 01/28/11 01:26 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Russ...
A nice surprise. You look Mahhhh-ve-lous...and sound great, both pickin' and singing. Glad you are healing and feeling better. I know it has been an ordeal for you.
Eddie

#314285 - 01/28/11 02:32 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Russ ... I was hesitant to ask if that was 'before' or 'after' ... I am quite happy to hear that it is 'after' because it shows what progress you have made ... keep it going, friend, clap

#314286 - 01/28/11 02:39 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hi Russ, I think since you must watch your left hand a lot due to your injury, you should buy a headset mic and sing more songs for your live show. IMO, your audience would enjoy more sung songs, instrumental gets old quicker, IMO.

You know more chords 'n I do.

#314288 - 01/28/11 02:54 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: SemiLiveMusic]

Actually, Bill, when I play keys, I sing about 50% of the time.

While I don't really enjoy singing as much as playing, over the years, I have done voice-over work for lots of films...mostly industrial or ones for State Tourism departments, lots of singing on regional commercials and a few national ones...Sealtest Milk...KFC...Lenscrafters and a number of others.

I know a few chords and would have a ball sitting down down and playing together. I admire people with the dedication and desire to be song writers.

I've sold out! I write industrial film scores which sell things like cars, not ideas and emotions.

I'm at my happiest when I'm backing another musician/singer.
I like to make others sound as good as possible.

Thanks, and keep up the good work. Get stuck on structure and I'll be glad to supply an idea or two.

Russ

#314295 - 01/28/11 03:53 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: cgiles]

Chas, you'd better learn that song, because that is the song I requested when we talked briefly about doing something for each other when the time came!

And I know, you'd KILL playing it!

Russ

#314299 - 01/28/11 04:07 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Really enjoyed seeing and hearing you, Russ. I really love the nice, clean guitar picking.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#314304 - 01/28/11 04:26 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Why are we all so suprised at Russ? He's been doing this stuff for about a hundred years; 'bout time he got it right smile.

Russ, sorry I missed your call. I took advantage of this little weather break (55 and sunny) to excercise the ponies, Kimmy (Kymco) and Tiger (Triumph Triple). Talk to you maybe tomorrow? Playing (tomorrow) from 6 to 11 over in Marrietta, though, with 5, count 'em, FIVE pieces. Should be fun.

chas

#314307 - 01/28/11 04:45 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Why are we all so suprised at Russ? He's been doing this stuff for about a hundred years; 'bout time he got it right smile.

Russ, sorry I missed your call. I took advantage of this little weather break (55 and sunny) to excercise the ponies, Kimmy (Kymco) and Tiger (Triumph Triple). Talk to you maybe tomorrow? Playing (tomorrow) from 6 to 11 over in Marrietta, though, with 5, count 'em, FIVE pieces. Should be fun.

chas

Good luck on the gig Chas take some pictures/videos for us too wink

#314312 - 01/28/11 05:12 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I wasn't surprised at all by Russ' guitar playing. I was REALLY surprised by his singing though. What a great voice, and perfectly in pitch.
Can't wait to do a duo with the Captain.
DonM

#314316 - 01/28/11 05:27 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
THIS is why I LOVE this place ... laugh ...and I realize this has nothing to do with arrangers, but it IS music ...

Yup - me too. I'm not an arranger musician - I'm a MUSICIAN who owns an arranger. (among many other tools) If it ain't in your heart - it'll never come out your fingers!

#314368 - 01/29/11 03:56 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Russ you have the charm of bossa nova, make sure that
Hear your music will be always a pleasure
Chico

#314370 - 01/29/11 04:15 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ, I have been reading everything you post. I like where you are coming from, your ideas, your passion and your music. I connect to your music life it is the closest to my own. Oh he has that guitar I had it too – Oh he had the Orchestra with the foot pedal that changed the type of chord, so did I.
Russ keep it going, there is a true love for music and a kid that wants all the toys in you, it doesn’t get better.
John C.

#314474 - 01/29/11 02:17 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]

Brian, it would be my GREAT PLEASURE to work with you on sharing chords...words...anything. Just email me and we'll get that happening.

And John, I, too have noticed that we're sort of "joined at the hip" in terms of ideas, likes, dislikes. It's bad that distance keeps us from visiting as often as I'd like, but it's good that we can keep in touch here, and through private email. It would be a pleasure to hear from you....anytime.

Chico, I feel we are also so much alike. I cut my "musical teeth"
on bossa. With my trio (my son on bass-my grandson on drums) we play all the tunes I did on guitar bossa style. You are a kind soul, and I admire you as a good man as much as a fine musician.

I'd like to thank all here for making a really bad thing in my life a lot better.

It's not "fixed" but I'm working on it.

Best personal regards, always,

Russ

#314482 - 01/29/11 03:54 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Capt. excellent music !!! In the early days of my becoming a member here, Russ called me to welcome me to the forum. His comments to me about his playing pretty much indicated that he didn't have a lot of talent!! Capt. you are too modest! blush

I'm enjoying every moment of your playing. When I hear guys like you play at this forum it confirms what I've know right along there's lots of talent here......some great musicians to say the least.

Thanks for posting Don and Russ I'd love to hear more

#314500 - 01/29/11 08:08 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Russ........would love to hear your next on done on the keyboards when you get a chance keep em comin!

#314530 - 01/30/11 05:07 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Very nice Russ. My second choice instrument is the guitar. Never tried it, (still trying to master the black and whites) will have to wait and play guitar with The Angels.
Great choice of music, and performed with great feeling. I think I know why you waited this long before sharing, but it was well worth the wait.
(Did not realise our initials are the same, just different order).
Take good care of that injury.
Ray

#314695 - 01/31/11 11:02 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Dnj]

Donny, I only posted one other piece, several years ago, which was all keys. It was a film score rough for one of my major clients. Most of my work is 16 or more tracks-full production, unlike this 15 minute "bare bones" raw piece here.

Thing is, this is the only time I ever recorded myself as close to live as possible to see if what I had left is acceptable...TO ME. When I can't cut it to my standards, I'll give up and avoid embarrassing myself.

The project has always been more important to me than the recognition (like to be recognized with BIG CHECKS LOL).

Every recording I do, except for this rough-which is REALLY ROUGH, is under deadline. Generally, the score is a small part of the entire project, and I do all elements: music, script, shooting, editing, etc.

I would have no reason to record just me on keys or anything else. But, in about 6 months, I'm going to set aside 1 hour and do 2-3 tunes each on: Nylon string (bossa), Electric bass (Funk/fusion), Acoustic bass (American Standard Solo), Electric Guitar/fusion style acoustic piano and arranger. Again, it will be one take-15 minutes, edited to 10 minutes to post to YouTube. There will be no external mixes, effects, etc. It will all be one track, with the only object to measure my abilities against, sadly, what I'll never be able to do again.

This will simply to be how balanced my performances are, comparing guitar and keys. I've got to get to a point where I'm not embarrassed by my work, and, while it's better now than a year ago, I'm not close to being where I need to be.

It actually embarrasses me to call attention to myself.

At least, I'll be sharing it with friends who will take it easy on the OLD GUY!

Russ

#314736 - 01/31/11 02:43 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Watch that old stuff, Russ--I resemble that remark! wink

Gary cool

#314754 - 01/31/11 05:30 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Just the way I pictured you playing, Russ. Makes me proud to know you.

Chas' motorbike remark gave me this vision of you two playing "Born to be Wild" and riding your bikes. Not at the same time, of course!

Told "Da Dude" that it's Grandpa Russ playing the guitar and now he's nagging me for a guitar. Show him an elephant and he wants one. "Daddy, Ï want to buy a(an)...!" He wants to buy a lot of stuff recently.

Taike

#314762 - 01/31/11 06:49 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

I got the privilege of meeting Russ and watching him perform both keys and guitar. No question, the guitar is his niche, but he is very capable of holding a crowd with arranger play. (Wish I could pick up a guitar in my act!)

Most intriguing is his contributions, low key life, honest and sincere MO - a Kentucky gentleman.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#314818 - 02/01/11 06:04 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: zuki]
clover_kid Offline

Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA
I really enjoyed your playing. Very inspirational. Hope you continue to heal and get back to 100%, although you are already about 200% above and beyond most.

C_K

#314850 - 02/01/11 08:54 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Taike]

Welcome back, Taike. I'm having my office manager check on the best and safest way to ship a beginner guitar to Laos. That would be so GREAT! Grandpa and the little dude could enjoy guitar lessons...SKYPE or just email. What a bonding experience!

Check with momma, please, to see if that would be OK.

And Jim, I've regretted not spending more time with you when you were here. So sorry we were both "running".

It would be so honored to help you with guitar. We could get you up and running in a matter of a few months....good enough to play a tune or two each set. Then, you could go from there. I would be glad to "share the trips"....I'd come to Cincy one week and you get to Lexington the next. Sundays would be fine. I'd want to loan you a "learner". There are so many types of instruments that you can't even choose the style of music and type of guitar until you're into it. It would be a shame to buy something only to need to replace it shortly.

Naturally, there would be "no charge", and we'd rotate buying lunch. Helping people learn music is one of my great joys. I have three advanced guitarists who come for lessons from as far as St. Louis. And I get weekly calls from people teaching at muasic stores wanting help. The way "teachers" in music stores stretch out the process to keep the fees coming is a crime.

I can take years off the process of becoming an adequate player...especially someone who already knows keyboard.

At the VERY LEAST, I'd sure like to visit when we have time to sit and visit for more than the last time.

Russ

#314919 - 02/01/11 04:44 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Taike Offline

Thanks for the offer, Russ. Alas, he's only four and changes his mind about what he wants all the time. I'm gonna give him another couple of years to see what he really likes instrument-wise. At least by then he'll understand(?) that there's some work (and FUN) involved. Piano would be my first choice. My guess is he'll pick girls!

Taike

#314936 - 02/01/11 07:36 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Taike, does this sound familiar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nE8KKU1HgM

smile smile smile

chas

#314943 - 02/01/11 08:39 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

rotf2 Exactly, Chas!

But I don't mind it at all. The kid has a right to know! smile
Wish my dad was as patient as I am with my son.

Taike

#314947 - 02/01/11 08:58 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thought I remembered Rickie Lee doing that one... here's one version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmnLgnJ9mU&feature=related I think that's Lee Ritenaur on guitar, isn't it?

Good memories...

#314985 - 02/02/11 07:53 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Diki]

Ricki Lee is "MY GIRL"! And Lee is a great player. Loved him when he was part of Foreplay.

Good taste, folks!

Russ

#315018 - 02/02/11 11:42 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Ricki Lee - what a great, unique voice ... Lydia (my wife) won a 5 CD player by identifying her voice in a radio contest a number of years ago ... laugh

Edit: BTW ... Oscar Brown Jr.'s version is the GOLD STANDARD for this tune IMHO ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/02/11 11:47 AM)

#315025 - 02/02/11 12:32 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ricki Lee - what a great, unique voice ...

Mmmmmmm Skeletons ..... makes me all soft inside. Her breathy, intense vocals at the end .... so sexy, and yet so subtle.

#315031 - 02/02/11 12:57 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

... Oscar Brown Jr.'s version is the GOLD STANDARD for this tune IMHO ...

I agree. For this partictular tune, it's all about the lyrics and message, not so much the 'jazz styling'. I think that the message is much cleaner and clearer in Oscar's version. JMO. I like both artists but not really crazy about her version. Love the group behind her, though.

chas

#315036 - 02/02/11 02:23 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

I'm not real crazy about either one, but I'm not big on jazz either, so that may have a bearing on things. Of the two links, I'll take Oscar's version.

Gary cool

#316659 - 02/16/11 08:27 AM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: DonM]

Had the honor of backing Oscar on "Worksong" in 1962 on TV.

That's a song I'd like to record with Chas some day.

Russ

#316689 - 02/16/11 02:19 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Had the honor of backing Oscar on "Worksong" in 1962 on TV.
That's a song I'd like to record with Chas some day.
Russ

Russ and chas bluesbros ... I've got a GREAT idea ... no doubt you both have recording gear ... why not have one of you record a tune, send it to the other and then the second guy records a second (or third or fourth - whatever) track and then you post it for us to hear ... I KNOW it's not going to be the same as doing it together live, so you could play off each other, but I KNOW it would still be GREAT !!!
PLEASE?!?!? bow

#316695 - 02/16/11 03:43 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: tony mads usa]

Actually, I am scheduled to be in Atlanta before the end of March. If he'll put up with me, I'd like to get with Chas and do
several songs, including "Work Song", maybe Kenny Rankin's "Hiding Inside Myself" and a couple Chas chooses.

If we get to do that, it would be one of the most enjoyable times of my life.

R.

#316697 - 02/16/11 04:05 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Actually, I am scheduled to be in Atlanta before the end of March. If he'll put up with me, I'd like to get with Chas and do
several songs, including "Work Song", maybe Kenny Rankin's "Hiding Inside Myself" and a couple Chas chooses.

R.

Cant wait to hear them Russ good luck! take pic/videos also for us.

#316702 - 02/16/11 05:41 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

R.

If there is "right" in this world, the two of you will meet, jam, and we will get to hear it ... smile ...

#316866 - 02/18/11 12:58 PM Re: Give your opinion on this old guy [Re: Diki]

Diki, I'd like your opinion of the post. Send it by email, if you don't want to include it here. Don't hold back. I know the effects of my physical limitations. These folks have been incredibly kind...too kind. Be assured, I will value your assessment, good or bad.

Nigel is another person...a fellow "picker", that I would be interested in hearing from.

Thanks, everyone!

Russ

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online