SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 >
Topic Options
#301452 - 12/23/10 07:36 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Well, I'll chime in ... I just opened up my S-910, and the voice processor is actually worse than I remembered. I am SO spoiled by the TC unit in my pa800, I might not keep this thing.

David, why did you buy the S910? I'm sure Donny has told you much about the vocal processor...enough to let you know it hasn't changed since the PSR-3000 you had some time ago.

It might have been better to wait for the S910's replacement, which might have the new VH2 that is in the Tyros4.

If vocals are your real priority, you might be best served by using an outboard processor...the 910's isn't going to ring any bells for you, I don't think.

Merry Christmas to you too, buddy, and may you be around for many more.

Ian

#301453 - 12/23/10 07:46 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave,
S900, or 910 works great with TC Helicon Harmony M module.
What annoys me most about the Yamaha harmonizer is that it interrupts the lead voice each time it is engaged or disengaged.
You can make it SOUND o.k. with some tweaking, but you can't get around that on/off problem. You have to be certain you aren't singing when you hit the foot switch to turn it off or on. Also there is no light to indicate when it is on, at least on the 900.
The one in T4 doesn't have that problem btw, so maybe the replacement for S910 won't either.
A Merry Christmas to you,my OLD friend!
DonM

#301454 - 12/23/10 08:26 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup - the issue with shuts offs is MAJOR, Don. I might have to return this thing. I wonder just how long it will be before the new ones actually hit the streets?
I'm having too much fun playing with my Nord right now to be upset about this Yamaha, but I do need to address this pretty soon - thanx everyone for the input!

#301455 - 12/23/10 08:33 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Yup - the issue with shuts offs is MAJOR, Don. I might have to return this thing. I wonder just how long it will be before the new ones actually hit the streets?

David...why did you get an S910?

Wouldn't the Nord fit well with your PA-800?

Ian

#301456 - 12/23/10 08:36 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I don't think they (Yamaha) actually "took down" any other arrangers, but I'm pretty sure that Roland is out of it entirely, unless you count the VIMA instruments.

Roland's drop out was mainly self-inflicted by poor marketing, and therefore there wasn't enough arranger profits to finance R&D for new features.

I think Korg is very much still in the game.

You getting another Korg?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I was planning on buying the Casio CTK 7000 but for the same money I could get a roland GW8 from 9 months old so yesterday I bought the GW8 the European version this time. I don't know if Roland stop making arrangers but the Prelude and the especially the GW8 are very popular here in the Benelux and still available in the shops. Yes I probably gonna buy a new Korg but first see what they will come with

Merry Christmas Ian and everybody on this forum

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 12-23-2010).]

#301457 - 12/23/10 08:44 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Hi Ian,

I was planning on buying the Casio CTK 7000 but for the same money I could get a roland GW8 from 9 months old so yesterday I bought the GW8 the European version this time. I don't know if Roland stop making arrangers but the Prelude and the especially the GW8 are very popular here in the Benelux and still available in the shops. Yes I probably gonna buy a new Korg but first see what they will come with

Hi Frans,

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Roland recently discontinued the GW-8 and Prelude...I'm sure there are probably lots left in stock...I thought the VIMA instruments were the only ones with arranger type features, although, I believe some of their stage pianos have some sort of accompaniment.

Maybe someone else can clarify what's happening?

How do you like the GW-8? Is it a good companion to your PA-500?

Ian

#301458 - 12/23/10 09:52 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
Dnj Offline

The biggest surprise at NAMM even better then a new Roland TOTL arranger would be the re-Introduction of TECHNICS back to the market place with the new KN8000

#301459 - 12/23/10 11:13 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Wouldn't the Nord fit well with your PA-800?

Ian,
The Korg had an issue with the touch screen after a slight bump in a very cold parking lot, and although it was an easy fix (a wire popped off)... I lost a little faith in it. It's 2 yers old and I was restless, and since I no longer depend on music as my sole living, I wanted to try another setup ... I see now that I already have the best one for my needs. I'll just have to be a little more careful when I'm unloading the car in winter! lol
Honestly - side by side, these two are not even in the same ballpark as far as power or vocals. Instrumentally, they stack up pretty even, but the speakers in the Korg, and the TC VP are worlds ahead of anything I've heard so far. I'm sure the new mega-million dollar T4 is better than this unit, but I still haven't heard a better VP than a TC.

Looks like I need to make a return BEFORE Christmas this year! Sigh ...

#301460 - 12/23/10 11:53 PM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
I see now that I already have the best one for my needs. I'll just have to be a little more careful when I'm unloading the car in winter! lol
Looks like I need to make a return BEFORE Christmas this year! Sigh ...

oh well, you aren't the first to find out you already had the ideal rig...and, it will help you to keep from straying in the future.

That can happen with relationships, too (said ruefully, with the voice of experience)

I would have thought Donny would have warned you that the vocal harmonizer might not have been what you were used to...at least you can make a return, so it hasn't really cost you anything.

I've done things like that myself...it's an education.

Have a good Christmas.

Ian

#301461 - 12/24/10 12:09 AM Re: Is Yamaha taking down all other Arrangers One By One ....little by little.....
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Donny, you post too much and you are too opinionated... You know the Casio $79 keyboard rules, get over yourself......

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online